RB Leipzig (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

We'll need both players, but whereas Doku never looked like missing, I'm convinced that Grealish would have tried to round the keeper, and win a penalty, or take the ball to the corner flag.

He's obviously a confidence player, but he just needs to work on his sharpness, so that he can drive through the gaps, and then release the ball

Good result and good performance overall. Besides struggling for clear cut chances for a lot of the game, the overall play was much better than the last two games. Some nice patterns of play at times and we mostly kept the ball moving in a nice rythm. Hopefully the team is back on the right track.

The commentary were making out RB L weren't trying to take it to City but I think they were smartly picking their moments on when to press and when to break on the counter. They do both very well, yet we still managed to resist their press and gave up very few chances. I do wonder what Pep has planned to compensate for Rodri's absence in midfield but I'm a little more confident about the Arsenal game, after last night's performance.

Haaland might be frustrated but he’s such a team player and delighted when others score. Rico was superb in midfield as was Phil. Alvarez a real game changer and superb goal. Doku’s goal was very well taken, looked like he was going to shoot with his left, opened his body and slotted in with his right. Gave the keeper no chance. Gvardiol was excellent and should have played at the weekend. My take of the night was Pep’s interview discussing Rico’s parents and genes and wishing he was was two inches taller. He looked a lot happier tonight as well and in good form.

Jack passes back to the player behind way too much. Yes, he keeps possession, but that's nothing without end product.
Most of the time tonight Jack was passing back to Gvardiol.
Ain't no pulses racing with that move.
Doku did that a few times, to be fair to Jack, but he also was passing it inside, the goal was evidence of this.
Jack is better when he moves inside, he almost got Haaland a goal doing this, but he also lost possession after the break like this and they scored.
Jack is great, but he needs a more defined role to roam inside. Defenders know he's gonna pass back 9 times out of 10.
Great points well made. Jack needs to use his undoubted talent in more ways than he currently does. He's making it too easy for defenders to guess him. Phil was doing similar for a while last season but playing centrally has made Phil more of the player we hope he'll become. Doku can be a great wake up call to some colleagues. Keep the ball - yes - but let's add more creativity and spark going forward by taking a man on when we can. A good way to break down the sort of defensive stuff that Wolves employed.

Up until the intro of Alvarez and Doku,we were slow,predictable and very frustrating.We made it fairly easy for the opposition to adopt the exact gameplan that we have seen from our Prem league opposition this season.......11 behind the ball and wait for us to play a stray pass,then turn over and go direct against a fairly slow bank of defenders.

I remember last season started similar,and then Pep pushed Stones into the middle,and the rest is history......so,while we are currently a little out of sorts,i know things will soon properly click again.

Anyway,the subs,especially Alvarez's individual brilliance,changed the game and it was a wonderful result with a 3 or 4 brilliant performances - Rico and Gvardiol being the stand outs.
So how to overcome our predictability? I would suggest the old-fashioned art of taking a player on in both tight spaces and more open play. Doku does it, Nunes too, Bernardo and Alvares. Most defences fear the 'dribbler' and although sometimes possession will be lost, we should be good enough to cover. Retain our 'usual' way of playing which has won us so much but add this approach to our game when we meet those teams who try to stifle us.

Thanks Robinho's Subbuteo. Great point about Jack. A year ago, he was my fav player until I noticed what you have. Robbie Savage made the same point in commentary last night. Jack is beginning to turn into 'Right-Angle Ray' (Wilkins) Waste of a great talent. Did it all last season. I noticed Pep talking to him as they left the pitch. Jack does keep and shield the ball well but then moves it on to someone else. More shots please, Jack, and go past a player occasionally which will open up the spaces. Doku isn't afraid to lose the ball. Nor should Jack be. We should be able to cover those who dribble a bit.
Is Jack better than Sterling in that role?
My perception is that Sterling created much much more. We criticised him for constantly missing chances but then I dont see Jack creating.....pretty much anything.

He retains the ball well. That is it.

Pep was buzzing last night great to see him so relaxed. He is experimenting little things with players positions and tactics like he always does . Rico Lewis opened up a whole lot of options last night and Alvarez also had Pep purring like a Cheshire Cat ! Haaland is missing the service of Ginger Kev big time but Pep will find a way City are always evolving.

I think most of us can see that Alvarez is a better all round footballer than Haaland.

What Alvarez hasn’t done so far, is score 50+ goals in a season.

Haaland is an extraordinary finisher, that is a little out of form. He’s still top scorer in the league though.

Theres no point debating whether he should be dropped or not. He will never be, or not for quite a while at least. He has so much credit in the bank.
I wasn't calling for Haaland to be dropped, but to be withdrawn in favour of Alvarez, because clearly last night wasn't his night.

In terms of credit, when does that run out? It was an awkward post match conversation, but Lescott & Hargreaves were trying to avoid answering the question of Haaland being found out by PL CB's.

I don't think he's been 'found out', but the PL evolves rapidly, & what was the case last season won't necessarily be the case this. I saw how frustrated Haaland seemed. I noticed him walking around head down & I felt for him, but we've got games to win.

Haaland is a supreme goal scorer, but if we're being honest he offers little else, as he's no Harry Kane. I feel there's a fear to criticise him, especially after his unbelievable first season with us.

How do you criticise a striker who scores 2 goals from 12 touches, or a hat trick from 22 touches? As long as he's banging em in, he's doing his bit, but what happens when he hits a dry spell, but unlike Kane he can't contribute anything else?

He's going through a dry spell at the moment as all players do, but after dominating against Leipsig, it was baffling to find ourselves level & we needed something different.

All I questioned is why changes weren't made earlier when it became obvious that Grealish & Haaland were having little effect?

Both subs provided a goal & an assist each, & Julian affected the game more in 20 minutes than Haaland did in 90. All I'm saying is it's a conversation which needs to be had.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.