RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

Hmmmmm. I am not so sure. Henry gives the perspective of Henry and how Henry used to play which was never in the style of a big strong centre forward.

For me, Haaland has done enough in his short but phenomenal career so far to justify we should be adapting to him and not the other way around. I don't want to turn him into Harry Kane, dropping deep and linking up play. I am more than happy for him to score 40 per season hanging around the 6 yard box.
To a point but Haaland also has to adapt his game a bit and he's still learning his position. Aguero adapted without losing his scoring ability. I saw somewhere, not sure where, a comparison with how Benzema will drift out wide or drop and appear in the box unmarked. Of course they were vastly more experienced players, I think he'll adapt and learn with experience to create space for himself.

Henry nails it here imo. Haaland has to do more and isn’t blameless in all of this. He is still very raw and whilst he has some world class attributes I’m not sure he is yet a world class striker.

Henry for me is the best player to ever play in this country I sincerely hope haaland has watched this excellent punditry

I really like all the analysis in those videos. Very good from Carragher and Henry. Henry’s insight is incredible there. (Richards added absolutely sod all though).

What Carragher analysed is spot on, and we have all been saying it. Time and time again that pass just doesn’t get played to him and it’s criminal at times. The players have all played with him enough now to see that Håland drags the defender deep and turns and runs behind them very well and far far too often that pass just isn’t played.

But Haaland definitely isn’t blameless and he’s got a hell of a lot to learn and improve on. Henry’s analysis of his movement not always being right and needs to learn different ways to make runs and learn to play with our players better, is correct.

Pep also needs to tie this all together and get into the heads of all of them about Haaland’s runs and the way each of them play.

There are also times we play a ball up to Haaland from back four and his control takes the ball ten yards away from where he first touched it. He needs to work on his control a hell of a lot, it’s not good enough!

At other times, from the same long passes from the back, he gets drawn in under the ball and tries to head it down the channels when we have absolutely no players running past him. Who is it he thinks is quickly running down those channels for the flick on?
He needs to use his strength to hold the defender off and take the ball on his chest and wait for support more in those situations.

To a point but Haaland also has to adapt his game a bit and he's still learning his position. Aguero adapted without losing his scoring ability. I saw somewhere, not sure where, a comparison with how Benzema will drift out wide or drop and appear in the box unmarked. Of course they were vastly more experienced players, I think he'll adapt and learn with experience to create space for himself.
Maybe, but Haaland is not just your ordinary "good" striker, is he. What's he got to learn when he's scored more goals, in more competitions with a better goal/game ratio at his age, than anyone, ever. You mention Benzema as a reference point?

1677156682744.png

I'm not sure he still needs to learn much and I don't want him becoming less effective by being asked to drop deeper and come looking for the ball.

Same old story, really poor when put under any sustained pressure this season.

That's a result of how slow and methodical our tactics are, it leaves us the wrong side of the ball or standing square on when the ball is given up.

We aren't good enough to mount a rearguard action without not conceding.

Eddie was terrible for their equaliser, got caught under the flight of the ball, regardless of Dias being outjumped.

Bernie gives us legs but our midfield this season lacks drive and penetration and he is unable to see a quick pass.

It's why Gundo still stands out when he tried to play quicker or a forward pass, because he and De Bruyne are the only people who are capable of doing it, but they can't cover the ground like they used to.

Haaland must be an astounding pro, because I would have chinned Bernie and others for their reluctance or inability to at least try to find him.

Much more of this, and he will be ran in to the ground or out the door in the next couple of years.

It's a City team which needs a huge injection of drive that can power the team forward.

Walker is finished at the top level and fell to pieces again when asked to defend this season.

We need full backs for both sides, and a hugely creative ball player next to someone like Bellingham.

At the very least, a sub or two from Pep, who doesn't make changes when it is clear the momentum is with the other team, is increasingly apparent this season.
In other words we're fucked

Maybe, but Haaland is not just your ordinary "good" striker, is he. What's he got to learn when he's scored more goals, in more competitions with a better goal/game ratio at his age, than anyone, ever. You mention Benzema as a reference point?

View attachment 70111

I'm not sure he still needs to learn much and I don't want him becoming less effective by being asked to drop deeper and come looking for the ball.
There’s an example here from that Henry analysis (and I think he’s correct):

BC28FA8D-32F1-4FC8-9383-2EE39C391630.jpeg

de Bruyne received the ball at that exact moment^ and instead of Haaland making the run towards goal, he tries to run behind the defender:

89315B5F-5D2F-4587-8D06-7670B695D0AE.jpeg

So instead of de bruyne having Haaland here to pass to (ignore the graphics):
33132D36-831B-42D7-BB94-447FDA47C61D.jpeg

He actually ends up here:
8024C9D7-45A2-4611-BCB8-AB4B008061C2.jpeg

So despite some of our players criminally not finding him with a pass a lot of the time (and I’d say that’s the case 90% of the time), he also doesn’t always make the right runs.

The thing is, he’s got a lot wrong with his game, he hasn’t learnt our style yet, our players haven’t learnt how to play with him yet, he’s still only 22 and he’s still scored 32 goals for us in half a season!

Same old story, really poor when put under any sustained pressure this season.

That's a result of how slow and methodical our tactics are, it leaves us the wrong side of the ball or standing square on when the ball is given up.

We aren't good enough to mount a rearguard action without not conceding.

Eddie was terrible for their equaliser, got caught under the flight of the ball, regardless of Dias being outjumped.

Bernie gives us legs but our midfield this season lacks drive and penetration and he is unable to see a quick pass.

It's why Gundo still stands out when he tried to play quicker or a forward pass, because he and De Bruyne are the only people who are capable of doing it, but they can't cover the ground like they used to.

Haaland must be an astounding pro, because I would have chinned Bernie and others for their reluctance or inability to at least try to find him.

Much more of this, and he will be ran in to the ground or out the door in the next couple of years.

It's a City team which needs a huge injection of drive that can power the team forward.

Walker is finished at the top level and fell to pieces again when asked to defend this season.

We need full backs for both sides, and a hugely creative ball player next to someone like Bellingham.

At the very least, a sub or two from Pep, who doesn't make changes when it is clear the momentum is with the other team, is increasingly apparent this season.
Disconcertingly damning - especially from you. But, at the risk of being "appalling", agree most of it.
Did I miss something with Walker? - I actually thought he was ok.

I think it’s just habit, we haven’t played with a traditional number 9 for a while so we haven’t looked to play those runs except in or around the box. Gundogan, Grealish, Foden, Rodri and Mahrez are all capable of playing those passes, just need to get in the habit again.
Mahrez used to play balls in behind and over the top to Vardy all day long in that Leicester side.

Anybody got the full clip of the handball incident, BT and Humphrey have put out a clip that shows it hit his shoulder but that is the end of the clip, there are no extra 5 seconds to see where the ball goes next.

In my mind, he blatantly slaps the ball with two hands?

Pain in the arse after the game as we were kept in for about 30 mins then sent on a long detour around the stadium.
A few older Blues were toiling
Good thing was bogs and food and drunk stalls were kept open

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.