RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

I don't think many of our players don't look for him, they just can't see him.

It's what makes Kev and Dave the players they are.

If we don't have that creativity, you find someone like Haaland by using raw pace and crossing.

I think it’s just habit, we haven’t played with a traditional number 9 for a while so we haven’t looked to play those runs except in or around the box. Gundogan, Grealish, Foden, Rodri and Mahrez are all capable of playing those passes, just need to get in the habit again.

My take on Grealish, maybe move him inside. You can't get the ball off him, any fouls would likely be in shooting distance.....
That leaves Foden to play slightly left (or up top left). No idea who would make way in midfield though.
That’s a good shout.

As good as Grealish has been recently, has he found Haaland with even a pass/cross/pull back in the box, never mind an assist, since Leeds? I don’t recall any. They seem to have no chemistry where they play with each other at the moment at all really.

However, Grealish got the ball in the centre circle in the second half last night and played Haaland through for his only real chance of the game. I saw more chemistry there from those positions between them than any other for weeks.

Foden was developing into a very good left forward up until this Winter. Where I’ve called for Foden to come into the team in attacking midfield, maybe he should replace Grealish on the left and have Grealish in attacking midfield.

Playing Foden and Grealish together might build something we’ve not really seen other in the United home game as well (have they played together in any other games? I can’t really remember any). They could even rotate during a game from left wing to left attacking mid (like Benrnardo and Grealish did away at Leicester last season) while we don’t have a proper left full back/wing back.

Henry nails it here imo. Haaland has to do more and isn’t blameless in all of this. He is still very raw and whilst he has some world class attributes I’m not sure he is yet a world class striker.

Henry for me is the best player to ever play in this country I sincerely hope haaland has watched this excellent punditry

Hmmmmm. I am not so sure. Henry gives the perspective of Henry and how Henry used to play which was never in the style of a big strong centre forward.

For me, Haaland has done enough in his short but phenomenal career so far to justify we should be adapting to him and not the other way around. I don't want to turn him into Harry Kane, dropping deep and linking up play. I am more than happy for him to score 40 per season hanging around the 6 yard box.

If we can get Stones and Dias reunited and get Foden back into the team we won’t need to rely on KDB all the time. Though Mahrez scored yesterday he vanished 2nd like he did for most of the Arsenal match. He’s been in and out of form for the last few matches but against aggressive pressing sides he’s not involved enough.
Bringing him on would be a start.

Thanks mate. I would love to see someone compile stats for each time he doesn't come for crosses or gets lucky because he is rooted and the ball goes wide or is cleared by him deferring to his defenders?

I always equate this to the Nasri 95 per cent passing success rate. It's what the player isn't being judged for, rather than the ones which are analysed.

You've probably got them, haven't you ;)
Please could you also run stats for ball retention from Throw-ins!
For a team that is so risk averse & possession based, there is absolutely zero value in any of our throw-ins, often we simply return the ball to the opposition, or throw it down the line as far as we can Sunday league style! During last nights game, Leipzig simply picked up the ball threw it to a white shirt and set from there, we struggled for an age to find a shirt,then gave up possession.

If you look at some of Peps side in the past, in 2009 he had Henry and Eto eithe side of Messi. 2011 David Villa and Pedro as well. At Bayern he had Robben and Ribery. City at their best had two quick wingers in Sane and Sterling, everything has got very slow when we should be playing to the strengths that we have a quick strong forward player. The moment either Mahrez or Grealish take a touch and come inside whilst they think about what to do next, the opportunity to pass to Haaland is gone.

In the summer we need to be looking at that or at least trying Alverez out wide to shake it up a bit.
I think this has been part of how Pep has evolved, and especially while he has been in England where a lot of the play is based on transitions. He wants to decrease the opportunity of turnovers and transitions as much as possible, to do that you have players who keep the ball like Mahrez and Grealish. It's no surprise we have targeted those kind of players, specifically.

I thought we were excellent last night. No complaints.
First half we were, second half no. We had a ridiculous amount of possession in the first half but couldn't capitalise on scoring the one goal. Second half Leipzig came out of the tunnel like a team possessed and we couldn't handle them, hence conceding a goal that resulted in a draw we should have won.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.