RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

Thanks for the ticket mate
Me and the lads are in Berlin at the moment en route to Brussels for the night
Up
There with the best trips we’ve been on
Safe journey home pal
No problems I had mine but a lad couldn’t go so sold his for him safe journey home mate

We were not very good before the break lost to a shit Liverpool and put in a limp performance home to Brentford. What kept us going was the Haaland goals which are now drying up.
The fact we are in a better position to the dippers is I suppose something of a consolation. The team appears to need an urgent revamp and sadly that may also mean a new man at the helm. But football as we know is a strange beast and we could still prosper in the coming months.
I don't know Father P I thought we were pretty good in Aug to Oct particularly, scoring lots and dominating games. The early rounds of the CL also showed our best side. It was at least entertaining - I do agree the biggest blot was the Brentford at home performance, a shocker for sure.

I cannot be too critical of Pep after what we have witnessed during the last few years although I think his man management of Kev has not had the best of results. Since Pep was a little critical of Kev we have not seen the same risk taking general. Kev had a really bad experience with Belgium and that has effected him a lot. When he clicks the entire team goes into another gear. Kev and Phil's drop off in form is probably the main reason Haaland looks like a square peg in a round hole at the moment.

As you rightly say football is strange and it could change quickly - for that to happen we need both Phil and Kev in better form. I am hopeful this can happen when it matters most. I do agree though we need to revamp our midfield for next year.

I would love to see a midfield three of Kev, Rodri and Jack with a front three of Phil, Erling and Julian that would be exciting to watch.

We had pure chance to counter in the 2nd half last night mate.
Not saying it never happens, but can't compare it to a Leicester team that was set up just for that. We're lucky if we get one or 2 chances to counter in a game doubt there were any in the Forest game.

The problem is that we're not balancing being conservat

There’s an example here from that Henry analysis (and I think he’s correct):

View attachment 70114

de Bruyne received the ball at that exact moment^ and instead of Haaland making the run towards goal, he tries to run behind the defender:

View attachment 70115

So instead of de bruyne having Haaland here to pass to (ignore the graphics):
View attachment 70116

He actually ends up here:
View attachment 70117

So despite some of our players criminally not finding him with a pass a lot of the time (and I’d say that’s the case 90% of the time), he also doesn’t always make the right runs.

The thing is, he’s got a lot wrong with his game, he hasn’t learnt our style yet, our players haven’t learnt how to play with him yet, he’s still only 22 and he’s still scored 32 goals for us in half a season!

I found that to be an excellent insight, but what I would say is that Henry was right footed and Haaland is left and that does change which direction you are going to move in. Your first instinct will be to get into a position which means you can finish with your stronger foot. Henry would move across the defender so he could use his right foot, Haaland would look for the ball curled round the defender onto his left foot. If the ball was coming from our left hand side he's more likely to make the run Henry is suggesting.

Regardless, we know he needs to be found more. Yes he can improve, but it must be infuriating to be ignored so often and no surprise he doesn't put in as much effort or react as quickly when there is a chance. He's not expecting one!

TBH I didn't enjoy it much. And I don't mean them scoring, which tbh I fully expected and then just though "yep".

I thought our passing and ball retention in the first half was excellent - truly impressive in fact - so I enjoyed that a bit. But I watched and saw what I've seen for weeks now, no real threat, no expectation that we were going to start banging the goals in, or even a goal. Noticeable that our only goal came from their mistake, and yes I know if my aunt had bollocks etc, but were it not for that 1 mistake, we'd have lost.

So overall, tbh, I found it quite boring. This sense that we could play for 3 hours without scoring, just passing it around aimlessly for hour after hour.

In the the 10 minutes when Leipzig were on top, they looked vastly more threatening than we did in the other 80. Fast, dynamic, pacy. Something we just don't do any more. Even when we broke on the counter with Leipzig all out of position, Grealish had a simple through ball to Haaland, but no, stopped on the half way line, stood around a bit and passed it backwards. Predictable, and very very dull.
Agreed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.