RB Leipzig (H) | CL | Post Match Thread

First half was as disjointed as I’ve seen us in a long while.

Dias, Walker, Rodri, Foden and Grealish were pretty dire. Misplaced passes, losing all their duels.

Missed three really good chances too.

Dias really lucky to stay on the pitch too, so no surprise his night ended at half time.

Doku and Alvarez coming on ignited Foden from a really poor first half to being the star man. Became available and was asking for the ball constantly. That’s the Phil we need to see.

Job done, hopefully Alvarez getting his goal will reignite his scoring form.

Leipzig are a really good pressing team and their striker was really good. They dropped too deep towards the end and paid the price. They’d easily beat our raggy neighbours.
in the 1st half phil was asking for the ball alot and dias and akanji refused to pass to him or rico . then when he did get it he lost it as the space was closed or played too safe . 2nd half he got the ball earlier and was able to get on the half turn more and be braver on the ball . also Doku being such a threat opened up more space inside . Jack alwaays comes inside and kind of takes phil out of the game a bit . Jack needs to mix his game up a little . even going on the outside a couple of times will put some doubt in the defenders mind ..

Thought our play improved in the second half almost in relation to how much they tired. Been a common failing in German sides in recent years, with Bayern the only one to have stayed the distance.

He was on a yellow when he got turned for the second. He knew he had to let him go otherwise we’d be without him for the Spurs game. Still one our best players and a true leader.
Err..no
We would be without him for Red Star so no Biggie he gets a rest either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was on a yellow when he got turned for the second. He knew he had to let him go otherwise we’d be without him for the Spurs game. Still one our best players and a true leader.
He was awful last night.
Their 2nd goal because of him was a carbon copy of the same mistake he made when we got beat at home by Spurs 2 seasons back.
Have a look at the replay and see by Peps reaction what he thought of him committing himself into a challenge there and getting burned for pace.
Wakey wakey Ruben

We blew three what I thought were pretty easy chances over the bar in the first half. Dias header, Rico’s shot and Haaland’s shot. That’s what I wrote in the MD thread when we were 1 down — while the defens(c)e looked shaky, we had some good opportunities we needed to bury and I thought we’d come back if we got many more.

Of course I also texted “Cancel the statues for Haaland, Rodri and Pep” to a friend at half time :) :) :).
Also Lewis played Haaland clean through on goal in the first half but he badly miscontrolled it and wasted a great chance to score. We probably had as many, if not more, clear cut chances first half as 2nd half, despite the poor performance for the first 45 mins.

Second half was excellent and the subs did change the game.

First half we seemed all over at the back. Credit to RB, the lad who scored both goals (Openda) looks a player. Looked at his history and he's a goal scorer. If he keeps banging them in for RB he won't be there for long.

A note on their fans. I was right next to them and heard them 3/4 times. In European games the away fans even with small numbers usually make a racket. Even when winning 2-0, barely heard them. WEIRD stuff. Tamest I've ever seen at the Etihad.

Foden was excellent even in the first half and crossed for Haaland who headed at the keeper. In fact he created a few chances in the first.

Ake is such a great footballer. Is he the best defender we have right now? I think so. I don't count stones as he's injured ;) otherwise it would be him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.