Real Madrid (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

They won’t need to… with us fans behind the lads and no roof at the Etihad, Madrid don’t stand a chance
Slightly related. What is never mentioned is that when they come here a potential bad april day could be 10-15 degrees colder than what those lads are used to. Big shock running out to cold showers when you've been enjoying spring.

I think with Haaland even when he's not at his best he occupies both centre backs which creates space for everyone else. Yeah he could have been stronger today but I think his goal record for us surely gives him a bit of slack. To me it seems like centre backs are given a free pass to wrestle/ kick or whatever they want just because of the size of him.

for what its worth I thought City played poor, not enough invention, poor touches cost us the ball in critical areas. But we worked so hard it papered over the cracks and tbh I didnt think RM were that good.... Two deflected goals, 1 worldy, lots of luck with the bounce of the ball at critical points I thought. If we turn up properly at home we should beat them.

Stones was my motm, he made least mistakes and played a very controlled game. Kovacic was very good too. Foden was off or something, maybe I am wrong, his goal was brilliant though. Again! Same with Bernardo.
Im probably being too negative but it was a difficult watch.

I like that the commentator said RM v City is becoming a classico.

IMG-20240409-WA0012.jpg

Just WOW! And Breeeathe...

To be honest, I'd have been happy with a draw, but I never thought the draw would be the six goal thriller we just witnessed with 4 world class strikes & two fortuitous deflected goals.

I couldn’t believe the dream start we had with a clever deceiving free kick from Bernardo after a minute, who was my MoTM. We had complete control of the match, but were pegged back to 1-1 with a cruelly deflected goal from Camavinga not long after.

IMG-20240409-WA0014.jpg

We regained control, but fell behind to ANOTHER deflected goal from Rodrygo. Real targeted Akanji by doubling up down their left with Vini Jnr & Rodrygo. It kept us occupied down our right, but we had it under control outside of the two lucky deflected goals.

We steadied the ship & went in at half time 2-1 down, against a Real team who were seriously up for the scrap, having had 10 days off when this was our third match during the same period.

IMG-20240409-WA0010.jpg

We came out after the break & took control of the game as Real sunk deeper & deeper into their defensive third, relying on hitting us on the break.

You could sense the momentum building in our favour & after a patchy first half where he was moved from No 10 to right wing, up steps the Stockport Iniesta with a right to left run across the edge of Real's box to despatch a stunning, unstoppable strike into the top left hand corner to equalise!

IMG-20240409-WA0011.jpg

We kept the pressure up with Super Jack keeping Carvahal pinned back. It was a brilliant performance from Grealish, which was very reminiscent of his best form from last season.

Around the 60 minute mark, Real looked a spent force & there was only one team in it. We had our boots on their throats when Grealish found space for a pass to Gvardiol whose first touch allowed the ball to run away from him, but he caught up with it, & BANG!!! He smashed the mutha fucker into the far right corner beyond their keeper to put us 3-2 ahead.

Real had to make changes to rescue the game, so they brought on Modric who got them back into the match. We still had control of proceedings, but Real had gained their second wind by the time Vini Jnr found himself at the right hand edge of our box. He crossed to the opposite side of our box, where Valverde came from nowhere, with an unstoppable volley to draw them level.

IMG-20240409-WA0015.jpg

At this point, both teams seemed happy with a draw, rather than risking a loss by going all out for the win. So whilst the game never fizzled out, Real & City both kept their heads to see out a classic Champions League game under the Bernabeu lights, that was cast by Real Madrid & the Spanish media as "Revenge!".

Bernardo was absolutely brilliant & covered every blade of grass, but this had to be Rodri's worst game for us in years. He desperately needs to be rested, because he made several unforced errors, & looked like he was wading through treacle for the third match in succession.

The potential threat of Haaland kept Rudiger & Tchouameni on their toes, but in truth Erling offered very little by way of an actual threat, as they shackled him well.

Real were throwing themselves to the ground, & berating the ref for fouls & yellow cards at every opportunity, as they tried anything & everything to gain an advantage. This showed how desperate they are to avoid a repeat of last season's two leg thriller.

We're at half-time & the tie is poised for a blockbuster second leg at the Etihad. We've spent a lifetime dreaming of nights like these, so let's drink it in, & give em hell at home.

Until then, it's hard not to have the return leg at the back of our minds, but we can't afford to look past Luton on Saturday, because if we're not careful, that game could turn into a potential title banana skin. We must deal with the business end of the season one game at a time.

Luckily for us, ArseAnal have similar distractions, but they have to deal with Bayern away at the Allianz Arena which will be a tough proposition as we know all too well.

Roll on Luton at home...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.