Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

Don't get me wrong. We lost because we weren't good enough. That said, the referee was dreadful and showed bias towards RM players, and it was clear that he was doing us no favours in extra time.

UEFA won't lose any sleep over us being out.
Defo. Thought he was subtle enough to make his bias towards RM not so obvious in 90 minutes but his mask slipped in extra time. If he'd have applied the laws of the games to Casameiros it could have been a different story

Having reviewed that last 5 mins all night in my mind. It stands out how much we missed a leader. Why on earth with a few minutes to go are we still trying to score.

crazy tactics. Madrid wasted 15 mins if not more killing the game we can’t do that for 1 minute. That’s why we are out.

lack of instruction from the bench & pitch. We even took throwings quickly in the last minutes at 2 up

I think Cancelo has been poor for weeks tbh. Near the end of the 90 mins last night I am sure he crossed a ball into the box where we only had 1 or 2 players instead of keeping possession.
With 4,262 minutes, Cancelo has played more than any other outfield player this season; Bernardo is next at 3,700. That’s more than six full games, and we don’t have easy games. Cancelo plays in arguably the hardest position in football, a task which has been made even harder by being asked to play on both sides, sometimes even within games. If he’s tired now and makes mistakes, I can understand and forgive him.

What I’ve got less patience for is for those that have left us in a situation where we have had no left-back in the first place.

But all of our chances aren’t going to fall to him.

Many… maybe even most… of our chances will still fall to our group of poor finishers.

Granted. But they'll look for him. And we happen to have a midfield that's probably the best in the world at looking for and finding players who themselves know how to find space.
Talking of midfielders. I feel as bad for Bernie today as I do for myself. That man is a Titan.

I think that's very sharp. And I think that, since Sergio's demise (and that goes back a few years, if we're being honest, what with injuries), we have had a wonderful team, but no single player who takes the game by scruff of the neck when everybody else has clearly run out of ideas. A player who gives you something out of nothing, right against the run of play. 93:20 was the classic example, but in truth there were many 93:20s in his time with us. We have not had that player.
I also believe that Haaland will be that player. If we are in fact getting him. This may seem perverse, but the worst news this spring would not be not going to Paris at the end of the month. Or even not winning the league. That would hurt — like fuck — but it wouldn't be as devastating, to me, as not getting Erling Haaland.
Get this over the line, Mr Begiristain.

I remember under Pellers when Sergio single-handedly wrestled the game away from Pep's Bayern.

Last edited:
If you're saying that's why we lost tonight, that's nonsense. I've said all along that we were the better side over the 2 legs and they didn't have a single shot on target tonight, Their second goal was a total fluke. Benzema bought the pen, then they just disrupted the rest of ET and I timed the stoppages at over 7 minutes - we weren't even given the full three. As someone else put it, 999 times of of 1000 we win that.
We didn't go out purely because of last night though so it's not nonsense. We could and perhaps should be 4 nil up after the 30 mins of the first leg. Mahrez has to pass, Phil drags a great chance wide. Benzema then scores a goal out of nothing and for the rest of the whole tie it swings one way and another. Is there any excuse for blowing it in the last few minutes like we did? No. But we take our chances and great chances at that when we get them, then we avoid putting ourselves in a position to be done.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.