Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

A striker who wasn't a striker.

Outscoring Liverpool without a striker to speak of, winning titles in the process, suggests the lack of a striker is marginal gains at best and revisionism when it's required.

We scored five goals against Real Madrid.

We needed to score six just to take it to penalties.

That would suggest a mentality and a defensive problem, not a lack of goals in the team!

I do think a striker could help. Someone exceptional might take pressure off the others and they might be that bit less tense about scoring and thus score even more. That does though point to mentality and although I think it has improved at city, it's still not stong enough. The players should have much more belief given their skill level.

Last edited:
But all of our chances aren’t going to fall to him.

Many… maybe even most… of our chances will still fall to our group of poor finishers.
True, but Haaland's conversion rate is better than any player on our books. It only needs one or two to fall to him in big games like last night and that could be the difference between winning and losing the tie. I would also add that over the 210 minutes, we created so much more than they did and Haaland would've arguably got on the end of enough to put the tie to bed in the first leg. And it's not just actual chances - how many times do we see the ball flash across the opponent's box with no-one on the end of it?

I'm confident that if Haaland signs and he plays enough games then he makes a huge difference in these key games.

Last edited:
Yep correct. As soon as they got their first we should have kept the ball even gone down and stayed down, to concede 2 in two minutes is unprofessional but also unlucky.
Lost our heads against Spurs in the same way. The players need to learn how to see a game out. Pathetic attempt night and it undid all their good work.

Attack not killing games off isn't our only problem, you cannot concede as many as we did against Madrid in a knockout tie and expect to go through. Our backline without Walker and Stones has gotten exposed horrendously.

A striker who wasn't a striker.

Outscoring Liverpool without a striker to speak of, winning titles in the process, suggests the lack of a striker is marginal gains at best and revisionism when it's required.

We scored five goals against Real Madrid.

We needed to score six just to take it to penalties.

That would suggest a mentality and a defensive problem, not a lack of goals in the team!

It's why I hope that we don't overlook the rest of recruitment this summer.

As important as Haaland is a top defensive midfielder and a left/right back. Maybe even a replacement for Laporte if he leaves. On top of that we still haven't replaced Sane.

Plus what if other players leave, will we replace them this summer too?

Think we became very complacent the last couple of years and now we've got a mini-rebuild on our hands that will take more than this summer.

Spending £100m on Grealish was ridiculous, could have used that money elsewhere.

I can't watch the goals over and again and I am not intersted in digging individual players out but you have to do a better job of stopping crosses. On their second, IIRC, Grealish was left trying to close two of their players down, he should have had help.

I know its only a game blah blah but this has absolutely knocked me sideways. To go out in the manner we have is just awful. Couldnt sleep last night and ive got up this morning feeling bereft
Yes it hurts, thats football, think of how Gillingham fans felt when we did to them.
one minute sat there discussing how we are getting to paris…
Jinx
The next im on my knees.

To me this is a culmination of a few years bad recruitment . Im repeating myself but we have had no left back for 3 years. No striker for 2/3 years (we knew sergio was finished). And if youre relying on a 37 year in a semi final then we are truly fucked.
Cancelo has been superb this year, Zincho a very able deputy, Ake has done well there and you cant legislate for that prick Mendy's sexual pecadillos.

We haven't played with a striker for ages, that has not stopped us winning and competing. As for Ferna, he was 37 yesterday and was on the bench in his final season, Madrid started Modric 36 and Kroos 34

So i assume you believe the bad recruitment is not buying a striker, who wouldn't have played in our system. That makes sense. We buy a striker, we playa different system and change a system that has brought us 3 titles in 4 years and possibly 4 in 5.
Ill back grealish to the hilt because I truly think there is a player there but did we really need to spend £100m on him? Was he really needed?
That was the price, he almost won us the game last night, then he would have looked cheap at the price.
i KNOW we are top of the league etc but the recruitment the last few years has at best been negligent but at worst heads should roll.
Negligent, thats a strong word, we are one of the best teams in the world.
also pep not trusting the youth has heaped more burden on a very thin squad.
Foden is integral, Palmer is getting there, do you want inexperienced players to play in front of established world class players?
i dont know where we go from here. Sack pep? I feel like it right now if im honest but maybe ill feel better as the day goes on. And who would be the alternative?
Sack the barca boys at the top? Maybe but then are they the package with pep?
You have taken defeat badly, that would be insane.
our scouting system/recruitment needs some sort of overhaul and players brought in who know how to get across this champs league line. Because no matter how much we hate it the club HAVE to win it. Pure and simple. Otherwise we stay at the level below those clubs who have.
What do you know of our scouting system, because i know very little, but it has helped us buy players that are world class,.
rant over… happy fuckin birthday to me :(
Happy Birthday, have a good drink and keep smiling

Our day will come.

Still shocked now.

1st leg we should've been out of sight but weren't ruthless enough, which is made considering we scored 4 goals, but in reality we should've had 7. Yesterday we were in control of the game but were very naive at the end despite being the better side.

Can't fault the general performances at all but we need to learnt o handle the CL better in key moments.

The lack of ruthlessness is the story of our season though. The title should be done by now, but the lack of a ruthless streak in attack in certain games has made it a contest.

Just hope we have enough to carry us througbuthe last 4 games but we've been mentally kicked and the players and manager need to respond. I'm just glad our next game is at home, its a good a chance to build back some confidence.
Absolutely bluemoon, I agree with everything you have said there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.