Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

There is no way I'm going to criticize Oleks or Ferna, they both performed much better than expected. But they are not defenders. First and second Madrid goals do not exist with competent full backs on the pitch -I could add that for Dinho's experience his naivety in that play is inexcusable, but that's as far as I will go. Hopefully some day certain parasites in the club's hierarchy will realize that you need players in order to be competitive at this level...

Ruben has just returned from injury, naturally is not 100% match fit and it showed. Another factor with an influence in terms of our defensive stability, combined with Eddie's bizarre distribution at times (transmitting nervousness to the team) for which I have no explanation. Eric is unfortunate in the penalty we concede, yet the play leading to that free kick should have never occurred. In the second goal he misjudges the situation, either expecting a teammate to run at Vinicius or hesitating to leave Benzema unmarked (perhaps not trusting in Vinny's cover)...

Having said that, not sure people realize what City have accomplished tonight. We were facing a club that practically owns the tournament. A team that has already won LaLiga. A team way WAY fresher than us, with zero activity during the weekend. A mentally strong team, as proven numerous times this season (check how they knocked out both PSG and Chelsea). A team that will always enjoy protection from officials (once again proven tonight). And so on...

No manager in the world would have approached the match the way Guardiola did, given our problems. But Pep will never betray his ideas. Trusting in his work, City once again expressed on the pitch their unique identity, an identity the whole world has become familiar with. We managed to match their energy with the quality of our game, combined with an amazing effort, truly out of this world (check the running stats). Aggressive yet organized in a CL semifinal, missing Kyle and Joao (defensively as well as offensively), City made Real look ordinary, struggling throughout the match, uncomfortable, with a problematic build up (despite some brilliant moments) etc. City were always the protagonist (58% possession), forcing Anceloti to become more and more conservative tactically as the match evolved, so as to control our attacking game...

Needless to say, the final scoreline is a travesty, no way does it reflect the reality of the match. Unfortunately, Riyad, among others, was fatal tonight. Nevertheless the boys should feel proud for their performance and confident ahead of the second leg. Which won't make any sense though, if we don't win on Saturday. Another final ahead of us in four days -while our problems are mounting...

A final comment: The media whores can go on supporting their myths with their beloved clubs. And they can go on undermining what this team has been consistently producing all these years. Pretending to ignore City's unique style and philosophy on the pitch. Also pretending to ignore the circumstances under which this team constantly operates (and delivers), domestically as well as abroad. Certain things are beyond their control though. This match is already considered a classic, one of the best in the history of the competition. The main reason being City's quality and performance -obviously I have no problem acknowledging the talent of people like Benzema (a world class player) or Vinicius for their contributions...

What I'm trying to say is that, whether they like it or not, Pep's City have made new friends tonight. And there is no doubt in my mind that some of them are already committed City fans...

Last edited:
I really don’t get how there can be negatives today though, yes we should have won by more but we still won and are ahead.

Real Madrid literally had a 3-1 advantage over chelsea and still conceded 3 goals against them. I don’t know how anyone can watch that match today and not be confident about next week.

So many unbelievable positives and great performances tonight - Kev is on Ballon D'or form, Rodri gave a masterclass.. Jesus was tenacious as ever and Foden was mercurial at times.. Zinchenko too, kids got the heart of a lion. We're bossing Madrid. Let that sink in.

That being said.. Im frustrated we gave up that 2 goal lead, and cant stress how wound up Mahrez got me. I know he assisted for the first.. but for a player that good he shouldn't be missing those 3 golden chances.

What's more unforgivable though for me is his complete lack of teamwork and defensive effort. I dont remember him putting his foot in for one challenge and he left Dino completely isolated at RB. Had he have provided that covering support, I dont think Vinicius scores that goal.

He wasn't the only one who had a bad night mind, I thought Laporte was particularly poor too. He's started to let errors creep into his game and imho a fully fit stones starts ahead of him.

Still let's have it at the Bernabeu!!!

In hindsight- Pep throwing Ruben right back into a CL semi after an extended time on the sidelines maybe wasn't the best call.

Watching that Vini jr goal back and haven't got a clue what he's doing so far up field? Why isolate 37 year old Dinho with Vini.. Not sure if these things are on Pep or the players, or both.. but the game management more times this season than in the past it feels like has been poor and cost us points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.