Real Madrid (H) | Post Match Thread

They had enjoyed a full week off before we met but will have to play Espanyol at the weekend before facing us again, and that is likely to drain them a little more. Chelsea should have knocked them out in the last round but squandered great chances and, like us, fell victim to an unfortunate handball incident. We‘ll score over there, but the question is will we stop them from scoring?

Still a concern that we apparently have nothing on the bench that Guardiola trusts as as an attacking threat.

They say hindsight is a wonderful thing, it is. But let us not forget one thing. Madrid on their day are a world class team who gave us a proper game of football unlike their disgraceful city neighbours the previous round.

The game was end to end with few dirty tackles or dark arts and I thought the ref had a great game, István Kovács take a bow sir.

It was one of those exciting end to end games that had me mesmerized by the skils pace and on/off ball movement, I'm going to have to watch a replay of the game just to try and absorb what happened.

I'm absolutely thrilled we go to Madrid with a slender advantage and yes it should have been a bagful of goals we lead by. Unlike some it felt like a win to me, sorry it felt like a huge win to me and despite several chances missed and one or two players not quite in tune, the boys did us proud.

And if you went last night you should feel proud that you are seeing Unknown Pleasures, and I'm not talking a Joy Division album. I didn't go to the game but the atmosphere was electric and you blues there made it happen to raise the noise and inspire the lads on to victory. Thank you all because we could be on the cusp of winning the Champions League.

And I dont say winning 'old big ears' lightly because i remember United winning it again in 99 thinking we'll never win that. I was happy that we'd beaten Gillingham hoping we'd never plummet to those lows again or get relegated again, and we haven't. We have risen to the very pinnacle of what we can achieve as a club thanks to our owners who had a vision few of us could ever see nor believe in.

I'm so proud of being a blue right now, you should be too: )

Last edited:
A few parallels with the Monaco game from a few years ago. I still think we’ll do the business next week though.
Yes a few but vastly different context, we had injuries to both of our full backs, it disrupts our defensive structure. Not much else really. The best indicator is us creating many chances and their backline being suspect, I'm confident as you said that we can more or less have a similar game with lesser errors and be more clinical.

Still too many flappers here.

Sensible fans would recognise that any kind of win, regardless of how slender, was all we needed last night. Now for the return fixture we'll have Walker and Cancelo available instead of having to turn to an almost 37 year old midfielder to plug a fullback hole.

We were always going to concede when Stones went out. Yes we should have scored more, but we got the win and the gulf in class between ourselves and Madrid, despite said selection woes, should inspire confidence that we'll get through.
Are we sure we'll have Walker?

Yes a few but vastly different context, we had injuries to both of our full backs, it disrupts our defensive structure. Not much else really. The best indicator is us creating many chances and their backline being suspect, I'm confident as you said that we can more or less have a similar game with lesser errors and be more clinical.
Main difference is Pep hadn’t yet established his style as deeply as now

I hope Aké is fit to play then. More or less sorts out the backline.

Cancelo Dias Laporte Aké

Would ideally like Stones to be there but looks like his injury might have gotten worse.
I would say that I’d ideally rather have Walker than Stones if I had to choose one. It could be a very different lineup, with Cancelo, Walker if available, Ake, Gundogan and maybe even Sterling. I have a friend who insists Grealish should start but it’s too big a game for him still I think

That’s the point though. Their penalties will need to be perfect to beat the keeper as long as the keeper goes the right way. They won‘t always beat the keeper.
A penalty shoot out would never finish 11-10 if the keeper always goes the right way. That’s my argument
They wouldn’t need to be perfect if the keeper delays his dive

Not sure what else Laporte was meant to do with their 2nd goal as he was tracking Benzema’s run.

It was a great turn by Vinicius to get past Ferdy, sometimes you just have to admire the quality of the opposition. I even think Walker will have his work cut out containing him.

Either way what a spectacle for both sets of fans and the footballing World as a whole.

Roll on next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.