Real Madrid post match post mortem

Just walked the dogs and had a moment of reflection.
I’m honestly not as bothered as I thought I’d be.
I obviously wanted us to win and I was confident about tonight but I think it’s because I didn’t think we had it in us this season to win it.
Defensively this season we have had moments of madness, switching off and making stupid mistakes.
Something that unfortunately seems to be here for the season.
We’ve also lacked creativity.
Though tonight I was annoyed having dominated and wasted many many chances, then to throw it away on penalties.
Not a good recipe for winning the champions league.
I guess I’d be really really angry if we hadn’t won it last year.
The league is the one that i need and want.
4peat.
I’ll be really really angry if we throw that away from here.
CTID

That will be the biggest question in the post mortem. Why the fuck did we dampen down the mood with the old man walking football from the outset? ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Last season Real faced a white hot Etihad which intimidated the fuck out of them. They've been mentioning our fierce, scary atmosphere all week, so why didn't we set our stall out to give them a repeat?

We made a rod for our own backs, & aside from the Rudiger miss, Real hardly touched or threatened us.

We should've had the flags out & whipped the crowd up to a frenzy, but we seemed to come with tactics over emotion, meaning we didn't capitalise on our home advantage.

Real didn't win tonight, we lost through our strange decision to start the way we did. Alas, it's another painful lesson learned, & with Mbappé & Endrick to arrive at Real next season, they'll be even more dangerous on the break.

Tonight was a massive opportunity missed.

The crowd was flat at the start. After last year I think many thought it was going to be easy. Before we knew it we're 1-0.down and up against it. No idea what those bin bags on sticks represented, a major fail.
Big decision to be made on Haaland close season for me. He doesn't do enough or fit our style and has been worked out.

In general I think we were great tonight bossed it and went out to a pack of cowards

To be honest. I and (well like to think) the rest of out supporters are as proud of the lads and club as I am. We played Real fucking Madrid and made them play within themselves relying on a roulette to go through.

Every player for them knew they dodged a bullet.. every single one.

Onwards and upwards :)
I’m mega proud too that’s knockout football for you. Everything is always so reactionary, one moment a player is our saviour the next we want him sold

They’re no great side, but we’ve gone backwards. Might get away with the league title, having not beaten a top side, but major surgery needed in the summer.

Hopefully the club stops pissing about this summer and doesn't go for the Plan D players.

Kovacic and Nunes have been poor.

Wish we found a way to keep Gundogan and Mahrez.

It’s clear to see that we played well but the most obvious thing to see was the lack of bench we had in an attacking sense. Imagine bringing a Mahrez or Gundogan on. Madrid we’re gone and we couldn’t create a sniff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.