Real Madrid Vs Manchester City Post Match Thread

Bodicoteblue said:
I've seen people tonight saying that they don't care where we were 14 years ago , that some fans are showing "lack of ambition " well-if you don't care about the bad things that have happened to this club then you sound just like a plastic rag who thinks that success and history are somehow born fully formed at any given point in a club's past(1992 in their case) What we know and most of them don't is that football has many downs as well as ups and it's those that make the difference between us and them . To ignore where we were 10 years, 14 years or whatever, is to do an enormous disservice to the players of the time ( no matter how bad we thought they were, they were City players)and shows a degree of ignorance of the progress since. Perspective and patience must be shown - they all know , as we do that it's coming -this year -next year -soon ,and we will be here to stay.

Oh ye we think tonights performance was terrible so we MUST be plastic rags mustn't we!!!

We aren't saying this result is bad in the history of the club or anything like that, what we are doing is analysing the game and to stick your fingers in your ears and say oh we only lost 3-2 to Madrid and we were playing Chesterfield 14 years ago shows what a real simpleton you must actually be!

PistonBlue said:
chesterbells said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
No it isn't, no matter how dark the days were playing in Division 2 we were there and we came back, great, but now we are a top club aiming for top honours and the mentality has to shift.

What was at stake? a win at the Bernabeu against Real Madrid was at stake. Top of the group was probably at stake, confidence and appeal around the world was at stake because winning at the Bernabeu would have send waves around European football, there was a lot on that game tonight. Never forget Division 2 no but don't bring it up to try and justify poor defending against Madrid when we were winning in the last 5 minutes, it's nonsensical and it's about time some of you actually focused on the actual game instead of trying to justify the loss by talking about Chesterfield, the perspective, we've come a long way, yes we have, but now we're here let's start acting like we're here instead of acting like we were playing at Walsall on sunday.

Agree with this 100%. Needed saying.

We absolutely should be questioning any game where we are winning with 5 to go and then lose, regardless of who the opponents are.

Spot on post-match from Joe H.

Which is exactly what I said earlier on in this thread, I just don't think we should be reaching for the noose because we lost a game to Real Madrid. And this was pretty fucking far away from being dubbed the 'most disappointing night in our history'. Blimey.

I didn't say that, stop misquoting me.

And nobody's reaching for the noose, we're talking about tonight and some of us are very dissappointed considering the position we had in the game, that's all, some people want to make a mole hill out of it but that's their prerogative.

citykev28 said:
Let's move on, know that we can beat Madrid, take 3 points from Dortmund and we are back on level pegging with them with our 2 games against Ajax to come and knowing that Dortmund have to face Madrid twice.

Thing is though, we need 9 points from the next 3 games before we face Real at home and Dortmund away.

Sure we can do it but it's not going to be easy.

Come on, let's get a bit of perspective here.
I mean, remember where we were 13 years ago & see how far we've come.
And 43 years ago. And 73 years ago. It's a long way, and after all, it was the supermen of real Madrid we played.

Did anyone notice Kompany ducking down before Ronaldo's shot?
I really love this guy, but I think it the third is his fault, too.

PS: What a game! Boys, that was @ Santiago Bernabeu! And we almost won there. Almost :(

thenabster said:
PistonBlue said:
AlthamBlue said:
How was Nastasic? Stuck in an airport and not seen any of the match.

Couple of dodgy little moments but on the whole very positive I thought. Infinitely better than Savic put it that way.

Won't say that yet. Savic started super well too when he first arrived.

Did he? I must have been asleep for that bit

r.soleofsalford said:
Sky Blue said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
He was wrong about another thing too. We were outdone by the bette team. However glorious the failure may have been, Madrid were by far the better team. It is only good keeping and poor finishing that have us a sniff. In the first half we hardly kept the ball for more than 3 passes. They were hungrier than us and had we been 3.0 down at half time we couldn't have complained.

However we were better when kolorov came on and more so when Dzeko came on. We played well for 20 minutes of the 90.

Do you get off by being an absolute doom merchant....?....

thats one of those rhetorical questions isnt it ?

Yep....just say what I see. First half was the most one sided you could imagine. Surely no one would dispute that?

I said we were better second half and we were but overall Madrid were easily the better side.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Very upset at the conceding of the two late Goals but still very,very proud to be a Blue tonight.

It was a brave performance and we gave our all. But we didn't play well to be honest. We looked a bit scared (not unreasonably) and as a result too many players didn't play well. Yes, we worked hard and got back into it a bit, but really it was a mediocre performance at best. Our passing and ball retention was very poor, and yes they pressed us but we don't pay £100k a week for players who can't control a football and make simple passes.

Our defence was amateurish again. We deserved nothing tonight and got nothing. We are only sore because we nearly mugged them and got away with it.

The only positive for me is that we competed when playing badly and we didn't get dicked.

Salado De Bap said:
I think people are mis understanding the critics of Kompany as boo boys and just slating but it is frustration that our most consistent and magnificent leader has made a rather elementary mistake again. He hasn't played to his maximum so far this season and that doesn't make him shite or a boo boy target but if you are to be classed as potentially champions of europe then all the best players do not make bad choices at crucial times of a game and let's face it if my 10 year old son had ducked out of heading the ball in any minute of a game i'd let him know it wasn;t good enough !

VK has to learn and move on and not do it again and that will be the final measure of a truly great player.

If he'd been his imperious self so far, and made that mistake, it wouldn't be bought up as it is now. The problem is being far less than brilliant, it's a cumulative effect. Tonight for some will just be the straw that broke the camels back, that's all.

Well, so near yet so far, being within touching distance of a historic result like that probably clouds our judgments. I can understand Joe appearing to be so emotional. That said its not all negatives. We will learn a lot from tonight and our progression from the group won't be decided by our away fixture vs Real. We should be able to beat both Dortmund (severely weakened since winning the Bundesliga) and Ajax (expect them to finish bottom) home and away. Every game is a learning curve and we'll learn more from tonight than the the other "seeded" English teams will when they beat their respective whipping boys this week. Nice to see that passion from Joe and I feel that despite losing the second half and therefore ultimately the game, we shaded it (though their first half performance probably made the result a fair one overall). We showed tonight an ability at times to perform on the big stage, we showed we can.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.