Realistic outcome now for rest of season

Personally think we're now in the position of all our eggs in one basket (League Cup) with regards to silverware.

I've said for weeks now I'd take top 4 (top 3 ideally), League Cup win & beat Kiev (furthest we've gone in CL). Realistically that wouldn't be a completely awful season, whereas on the pitch it's been our worst in some number of years.

Hard not to be pessimistic about our chances against a fired up Liverpool with Coutinho & Sturridge back but if we can somehow win that match I think we'll be alright this season. If we lose that & then lose to them in the league the match after then we're going to be having a massive derby against United in regards to CL football next year.

Disaster: no silverware & miss out to United, ending up 5th.
Expected: 50:50 chance in league cup, 4th place finish & had a decent run in CL.
Beyond expectations: win the title (whilst I'd be delighted I think I'd honestly feel a little bad for Leicester/Spurs as they've been far, far better than us this season).

I suggested the other week we will probably end up with nothing to show for this season.

I also think there's every chance we could even lose six on the bounce here, in all competitions, based on the upcoming fixtures between now and Villa.

Personally, I would pick our strongest line-up for Chelsea, we need to get the wheels turning quickly again, before they fall off.

Such a shame the penny seemed to finally drop today for both the team and the fans, arguably the best response and attitude in months.

They fell off a long time ago Tolmie.

We are seeing the results against the sides currently in the top 6 as a true reflection of where we are.

A manager who has been in denial for a long time and preparing a squad accordingly and a large number of the squad that need to moved on.

I said at the start of the season we wouldn't finish in the top four and those thinking we can take some solace that we have a six point gap to the fifth side is wishful thinking at best.

Average team with an average manager.

These positions seem to get the best out of the team and chasing points deficits is something we do well. All season there has been a feeling of complacency which is well underlined when we go a goal down in a game then suddenly switch on. Now that there can be no complacency for the remainder of the season we may just start to see a few good performances. I thought last night was a significant improvement to be fair, not as polished as I'd like but I thought we sat back a lot more and tried to hit them on the counter more than we have been and that's something I wanted to see given the lack of personnel. We looked better with Kompany and he will improve with game time.

Optimistic but perhaps this may send us on a run.

Manchester City have won just one of their 10 Premier League games against sides currently in the top eight this season, drawing three.
We still have to play Arsenal and ManUre at home; Liverpool, Saints and Swansea away will be tough.

I can see us showing resolve, by beating Chelsea in the cup, winning at Kiev, lifting the cup and then winning at Anfield... before Villa come to us and beat us. Typical CITY awaits.

I'd be delighted with third and the Capital One Cup the way we are playing but I'm still hopeful we will somehow turn it around and win the league as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.