Rearranged Fixtures vs. Sunderland & Villa.

Re: Rearranged Fixture vs. Sunderland.

Lee the Blue said:
jay_mcfc said:
Lee the Blue said:
Id personally rather have a replay with Chelsea than lose to them. Call me old fashioned, but another day another game and all that. Obviously a win would be ideal, but to rather go out than have a replay is mind numbingly daft.

Not when you look at the bigger picture it isn't, but I do bow down to your superiority as a football fan. I will be delighted if we win, but I would rather lose than draw. If the reasons for that aren't patently obvious then you should go look at our fixture list.

We have a big squad that is designed to deal with crowded fixture lists. Or would you rather we went back to the pre-takeover days where we were out of every comp by the end of Jan, and thus playing out the string till next August?

And here was I thinking we entered competitions like the FA Cup to try to win them, not blow them off for fear of having to play more games. If you have a congested fixture list it usually means you are still in quite a few competitions, which used to be considered a good thing. We have a huge squad that should be able to cope/compete on all fronts.

Complete myth!

At the start of the season we had a 24 man squad. 6 teams in the PL had 25 man squads, 3 others have the same as us and the other half have less. The 2 smallest squads at the start of the season were Liverpool and Arsenal. with 19 and 21 man squads respectively.

Of our 24 man PL squad 2 players, Nimely and Wright haven't played.
In addition, of players who've been in PL games, Nastasic doesn't have to be in the '25 man' squad because he qualifies as under 21.
(This is why Arsenal's squad is so small, some 1st team players are U21s)

In the cups, in addition to these players we've used Lopes and Huws. (Anyone else?)

Now, in the CL the criteria is different and we may not have all the 24 PL players registered on the 'A' list. Players born after 1st January 1992 (21 or under on 01/01/14) can go on a 'B' list and play anyway. I can't be arsed looking up the rules on the domestic cups.

So, when the media start talking about City's big squad, they're talking a load of bollocks. What they really mean is that we've got more quality in depth than other teams (Is this what you meant too Lee?). In effect we've got 22 players that we can rely on to play in the PL (The 24+Nasty-Wright-Nimely-Boyata) and have given 3 others an opportunity in the domestic cups. (I promoted Nasty as he's been a regular and demoted Boyata to the ones being given an opportunity because he's not an established 1st team player). This 22 is what Mancini was aiming at, 2 players per position and Pellegrini is continuing in the same way. We're not there yet and probably never will be satisfied, but the difference in quality between who would get in our strongest team and the alternate player will become less (Obviously we want players with different attributes to suit different opposition).

Later:
Just realised that the FA premier league have got updated lists since 4th February and I'm not going through all that again. Our squad remains the same, available here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/feb/updated-premier-league-squad-lists-2013-14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news ... 13-14.html</a>

Second Skin said:
andyhinch said:
Just count the final as the league match as well, winner gets 3 points and the trophy. Simples :)

I would suggest the loser gets three points. That would make it interesting.

Lol.

Completely agree! What a situation that would lead to if that was the case.

tonethestone said:
anyone know when abouts TV choose dates for the April games pls? Eyeing up Saints at H on 5th April

They normally leave it to the last possible moment to announce so that hotels and flights are sky high

SWP COME HOME!! said:
BT sport are showing the Saints game as 12:45 kick off on the Saturday lunchtime on their app fixture list on my phone! Not seen it advertised anywhere else but I'd be surprised if this isn't right!

Thx mate. Whereabouts on the app is it located?

SWP COME HOME!! said:
BT sport are showing the Saints game as 12:45 kick off on the Saturday lunchtime on their app fixture list on my phone! Not seen it advertised anywhere else but I'd be surprised if this isn't right!

I almost booked flights to arrive into Manchester for 11:55 so glad I have held off now

Lee the Blue said:
jay_mcfc said:
moomba said:
FA Cup semi would mean the Liverpool match would be re-arranged. Then it starts getting a bit difficult.

I reckon mid April is the most likely for Sunderland, but think they'll wait and see if we get through on the weekend.

A draw on Saturday would suck.

I'd be thinking own goal if it's a draw at 92 minutes. Anything but a draw in that game.

Id personally rather have a replay with Chelsea than lose to them. Call me old fashioned, but another day another game and all that. Obviously a win would be ideal, but to rather go out than have a replay is mind numbingly daft.

Correct!

jay_mcfc said:
moomba said:
FA Cup semi would mean the Liverpool match would be re-arranged. Then it starts getting a bit difficult.

I reckon mid April is the most likely for Sunderland, but think they'll wait and see if we get through on the weekend.

A draw on Saturday would suck.

I'd be thinking own goal if it's a draw at 92 minutes. Anything but a draw in that game.

Would you rather it was chav-features or Cashley who scoreds it?

tonethestone said:
anyone know when abouts TV choose dates for the April games pls? Eyeing up Saints at H on 5th April

Heard a rumour yesterday that WBA at home on 19th April has been moved to Monday 21st. So we could play Sunderland on previous Wednesday 16th.

unless of course we get through to the Champs League semis, then it back to the drawing board

Wednesday 5 March, three days after Wembley, is free for both sides. Seems the logical date to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.