Recommend a Car

You learnt self reliance quite quickly when you had an old banger back in the day. Thinking back I had so many crap cars in the 80s and 90s before I had a bit of money, some notables were viva, chevette cortina, dolomite, all shite to varying degrees.
Apart from routine maintenance I barely touch them now because in general cars are very reliable these days.
Now you mention it you couldn't go a year or more back then without changing an exhaust back box ( more often sticking a bandage on it) or changing the clutch plate at least once in the time you owned it.
Never seem to hear people having to do either these days.
We have Ford focus's tdci at 12 years (120K miles) and a 10 year old (140K miles) and have had batteries on both and an alternator on push button one.

You neve did mention budget - I'm guessing you're in the 1 to 3 year old camp and bigger/better than a eurosh*tbox from VAG or Stellantis. Whats the average journey mileage, because if its less than a hundred miles look at a full electric a couple of years old - performance wise will p**s on anything the germans try to tempt you with. And steering clear of BMW and Audi would my absolute recommendation (which you recognised at the top) driving a german car makes you look like a cock! And you pay for the 'privilege' of a nonsense badge.

You neve did mention budget - I'm guessing you're in the 1 to 3 year old camp and bigger/better than a eurosh*tbox from VAG or Stellantis. Whats the average journey mileage, because if its less than a hundred miles look at a full electric a couple of years old - performance wise will p**s on anything the germans try to tempt you with. And steering clear of BMW and Audi would my absolute recommendation (which you recognised at the top) driving a german car makes you look like a cock! And you pay for the 'privilege' of a nonsense badge.
I've always considered German cars to be ticking time bombs financially when out of warranty and therefore wouldn't touch one with a shitty stick.

You can buy my VW Golf. :-) It’s just had an MOT. Just a break pad needed changing. A set of 2 new brake pads were put on the back. Just had a service. 115,000 miles. Runs like a dream. I always use Costco premium diesel that cleans the engine. Usual wear and tear for it’s age.

On a serious note. If I part-exd it for another car I’d probably only get £2.5k to £3k for it? Where am I going to get a good and reliable car like that for that kind of money?

The Volvo XC40 has good 5 and 4 star reviews across the car review websites.

Read the reviews on all the cars you have listed.
Watch Youtube review videos on all the cars you have listed.
And most importantly, test drive all the cars you have listed before buying one of them.

Make it plain to the car sales person you have other cars to test drive before making a final decision on a car. If they are a good and honest sales person they will accept that and they will still go on a test drive with you and show you around the car, or leave you alone to have a look around the car. If you can, try and haggle a good deal, which is getting harder to do.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new (used) car to buy or lease with the following factors:
  • Family car so lots of storage.
  • Decent power for overtaking.
  • Reliable - not a money pit.
  • Enjoyable to drive.
I'm a reputable chap in the local area so I can't be seen in an Audi, BMW or other wankermobile.

I don't know a huge amount about cars. I've been driving a battered old Mondeo for years. I really like it so I would consider a newer one or something that's a step or two up.

Not interested in a new car but something used that is good value. I do regular 4-hour round trips as my daughter spends a lot of time in hospital so I want something that I can rely on.

Buying or leasing are both options I would consider.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

EDIT:

After a day of reading around, I've whittled it down to the following potential cars. i'd be interested in hearing your view on any of these. I need good boot space, and I like to be able to accelerate with confidence. I guess reliability is quite important, although I am likely to lease for three years so it's probably not a big factor. Cheers.

Skoda Karoq

Kia Sportage

Seat Ateca

Volvo XC40

Cupra Formentor

Ford Puma

Volkswagen T-Roc
I've had a Volvo XC40 since March 21. I would absolutely recommend it, very nice to drive, comfortable, well built. I got a good deal at the time but will need to change in March 25. If I could keep it or get another I would but will probably need to get a cheaper car. Averages 40mpg but I don't drive economically so could do more.

Cost of replacement parts/labour would be the only thing I'd be wary of, but that's probably true of most modern cars.

I live in a quite rural area with loads of lovely rural roads. Bends, hills, a few straight bits etc etc. None of Northamptonshire's speed cameras are switched on but you can have fun without going over the limits anyway.

There's a lot of joy in hitting apexes correctly, in changing down a gear...what can I say, I like driving.

Sure a metal hybrid auto box will get you from a to b but where's the fun in that?
Yep, no fun in driving an auto but i can roll a fag without stopping..

I've just got a Peugeot 3008 2020. It's excellent value for money.

Mum has one too and she loves hers and has been great.

Peugeot and Renault used to be unreliable, but those days seem to be gone as they have to compete on reliability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.