Recommend a Car

After a day of reading around, I've whittled it down to the following potential cars. i'd be interested in hearing your view on any of these.

Skoda Karoq

Kia Sportage

Seat Ateca

Volvo XC40

Cupra Formentor

Ford Puma

Volkswagen T-Roc
Skoda, Kia for VFM. (value for money / bang per buck)
Volvo, VW as the premium choice for me, Clive.
x4lXXhz.gif

Last edited:
A little surprised to see no mention of a Nissan. The past 15 years I was a GM guy Saturn/Chevy. Bought a newer car about two years ago. BTW I have never bought a new car. The cars I bought were always less than two years old. Mileage never used to be an issue since I used to live very close to work (don’t now) so if a car had higher mileage I didnt care.

Anywhoo, I didn’t much like the Chevy product since they stopped making the Cruze. It was ok but nothing special.

Ended up with a Nissan Sentra. Really like it. Big enough, rides smooth, good on fuel.

Was thinking about a smaller BMW. Could have just afforded it but, at the end of the day, the extra expense wasn’t worth it.

most modern stuff will suit you until it breaks down then its complex electrics, dual mass fly wheels - simplicity is extinct. Bought my Mrs a Vauxhall Viva 2 weeks ago - the modern one 19 plate not the rusty one your granddad drove - my Mrs was won over because out of the candidates C1etc it uses twirly knobs not screens to adjust stuff

After a day of reading around, I've whittled it down to the following potential cars. i'd be interested in hearing your view on any of these. I need good boot space, and I like to be able to accelerate with confidence. I guess reliability is quite important, although I am likely to lease for three years so it's probably not a big factor. Cheers.

Skoda Karoq

Kia Sportage

Seat Ateca

Volvo XC40

Cupra Formentor

Ford Puma

Volkswagen T-Roc
I read a lot about cars they are a bit of an interest to me always have been, out of that list for reliability and quality of build I would go for the Kia.

I've just gone for a year old Hyundai Venue. It's a relatively small 5 seat SUV. 1.6l petrol, with a CVT auto box. Can't really fault it. More than enough spec for my needs.

most modern stuff will suit you until it breaks down then its complex electrics, dual mass fly wheels - simplicity is extinct. Bought my Mrs a Vauxhall Viva 2 weeks ago - the modern one 19 plate not the rusty one your granddad drove - my Mrs was won over because out of the candidates C1etc it uses twirly knobs not screens to adjust stuff
My first car was the one your grandad had, it was a heap of shit, wasted £150 on one in the 70s, my nose was stuck in the Haynes manual seemingly on a daily basis.

My first car was the one your grandad had, it was a heap of shit, wasted £150 on one in the 70s, my nose was stuck in the Haynes manual seemingly on a daily basis.
I could never afford to run my car into a garage (still cant) so you had to get a haynes manual asap, luckily dad was good with cars so it was always check plugs, points, dizzy cap, leads, rotor arm & fuel supply :-) Happy days of body filler, rattle cans, syphoning petrol out of someones car (I loved the taste of petrol in the morning), fluffy seat covers, go faster stripes etc etc............

I could never afford to run my car into a garage (still cant) so you had to get a haynes manual asap, luckily dad was good with cars so it was always check plugs, points, dizzy cap, leads, rotor arm & fuel supply :-) Happy days of body filler, rattle cans, syphoning petrol out of someones car (I loved the taste of petrol in the morning), fluffy seat covers, go faster stripes etc etc............
You learnt self reliance quite quickly when you had an old banger back in the day. Thinking back I had so many crap cars in the 80s and 90s before I had a bit of money, some notables were viva, chevette cortina, dolomite, all shite to varying degrees.
Apart from routine maintenance I barely touch them now because in general cars are very reliable these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.