Recommend a TV Box / Sky Alternative

I use NOW TV for Sky Sports. It’s maybe £25 a month. There’s less and less on there (no CL etc) but you can cancel anytime. I will do over the summer and start again when the season kicks off.

A good Android TV box, Kodi, a good build and a real debrid subscription (£3/month). Takes a bit of searching for a buffer free football stream sometimes but they are there. A VPN is also advised. With this set up you can watch most films and TV series.

I'm hoping someone can help me with something I seem to be struggling with but its probably very easy.

I've still got a sky dish and box but cancelled my sub years ago. The free channels still worked for sometime but its recently been playing up saying it has no signal. So the dish or some part of the setup might be faulty.

I'll be setting up my new tv soon and I have IPTV but I still want the option of seeing and accessing the usual channels bbc itv etc without using IPTV. The option to pause and record would be useful too.

It seems freesat or freeview are the way to go but do they need the sky dish and/or roof aerial (no idea if the latter works)?

Thanks

I'm hoping someone can help me with something I seem to be struggling with but its probably very easy.

I've still got a sky dish and box but cancelled my sub years ago. The free channels still worked for sometime but its recently been playing up saying it has no signal. So the dish or some part of the setup might be faulty.

I'll be setting up my new tv soon and I have IPTV but I still want the option of seeing and accessing the usual channels bbc itv etc without using IPTV. The option to pause and record would be useful too.

It seems freesat or freeview are the way to go but do they need the sky dish and/or roof aerial (no idea if the latter works)?

Thanks
You still need a dish or aerial for them to work. Not many free view boxes you can record on knocking about at the mo. I believe Humax may be bringing a new one out soon.

You still need a dish or aerial for them to work. Not many free view boxes you can record on knocking about at the mo. I believe Humax may be bringing a new one out soon.
Freesat have a 4k one you can record on.

Just seen your can buy a dish on amazon for about 50 to replace the old sky dish. I'll see if I can somehow test my roof aerial too.

Thanks
If you have a working aerial (and if you haven’t used it in a while you might need an upgrade) then you can’t go wrong with a Manhattan Freeview 4k box. It doesn’t have many apps though other than Iplayer, ITVX and Britbox so you’ll still need your smart TV or a usb device to add these. It plays up a little but mine is 4 years old now so outlasted my previous Humax Satellite box which died at 2. I think Manhattan are just about to release the latest model but it’s 6 months late or so - T4R.

Not many people record stuff these days, in fact I’ve never had more than 15% used of my hard drive so this might be my last.

Freesat do a 4k box which needs the Sky Q LNB on the dish to work, if I remember right.

If you have a working aerial (and if you haven’t used it in a while you might need an upgrade) then you can’t go wrong with a Manhattan Freeview 4k box. It doesn’t have many apps though other than Iplayer, ITVX and Britbox so you’ll still need your smart TV or a usb device to add these. It plays up a little but mine is 4 years old now so outlasted my previous Humax Satellite box which died at 2. I think Manhattan are just about to release the latest model but it’s 6 months late or so - T4R.

Not many people record stuff these days, in fact I’ve never had more than 15% used of my hard drive so this might be my last.

Freesat do a 4k box which needs the Sky Q LNB on the dish to work, if I remember right.
Thanks.

Re aerial upgrade, I've not used it since I bought the house 9 years ago. I'll get a coax cable tonight, plug the tv in and see what happens

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.