Recommend a TV Box / Sky Alternative

Thanks.

Re aerial upgrade, I've not used it since I bought the house 9 years ago. I'll get a coax cable tonight, plug the tv in and see what happens
About 2 or 3 years ago they moved some of the channels around and started using higher (or was it lower) frequency bands which older aerials couldn’t pick up. Luckily I have clear sight to Winter Hill so mine is in the loft and was a simple swap. I think BBC was one I lost so had no choice but to upgrade.

If what you're asking is that you have a freesat receiver but its recently stopped working.

Its likely to be the LNB (Low Noise Block) Downconverter that full of water or become damaged. Thats the bit on the end if the arm thats on the dish outside. A replacement LNB is about £15 to £25 for a decent one.

If what you're asking is that you have a freesat receiver but its recently stopped working.

Its likely to be the LNB (Low Noise Block) Downconverter that full of water or become damaged. Thats the bit on the end if the arm thats on the dish outside. A replacement LNB is about £15 to £25 for a decent one.
Well its a 10 year old dish provided by sky. I guess there's no way of knowing unless I buy the part and try it.

Anybody know anything about a smart TV box. They're really pushing this at £49 (half the normal price) as a sky alternative. Too good to be true? A few years ago a mate went online and got a real Heath Robinson set up for about £70 - didn't work a complete scam.

Anybody know anything about a smart TV box. They're really pushing this at £49 (half the normal price) as a sky alternative. Too good to be true? A few years ago a mate went online and got a real Heath Robinson set up for about £70 - didn't work a complete scam.
Linking the object of your desire would help greatly :)

I'm hoping someone can help me with something I seem to be struggling with but its probably very easy.

I've still got a sky dish and box but cancelled my sub years ago. The free channels still worked for sometime but its recently been playing up saying it has no signal. So the dish or some part of the setup might be faulty.

I'll be setting up my new tv soon and I have IPTV but I still want the option of seeing and accessing the usual channels bbc itv etc without using IPTV. The option to pause and record would be useful too.

It seems freesat or freeview are the way to go but do they need the sky dish and/or roof aerial (no idea if the latter works)?

Thanks
I can't see anyone mentioning it but it is possibly the LNB (the white blob on the end of the arm) that's faulty, which will be a Sky HD compatible one if you're still using the box but it could also be the cable as it can suffer from water ingress. Depending where the dish is situated you may need to replace the full run. Usually however it's just the dish needs realigning.

The following is what you need to check the disk alignment and Google will help in setting it up (it's really easy as long as you can get to the dish).

The same could apply for the roof aerial re. the cable and if you are replacing the aerial (especially if it's an old non-digital one then I'd do the cable as well considering the fairly minimal extra cost.

Edit: no idea what's going on with the Amazon link as it's decided not to show it here but it's amazon.co.uk/sat-finder-HD-capable-positioning-controller-adaptation-Black/dp/B00O0YA868/

If anyone is looking for a (legal) streaming box BTW then I've just switched to VM broadband and decided to pay the one off £35 fee for their VM Streaming box. It's only available if you have their BB and goes back if you leave the BB but there's no monthly fee unless you sign up to any of the various monthly rolling packages available.

I've got a Q box for the wife (I'd dump it in a heartbeat myself) and am using it for a particular App that's not on the smart TV but it's got all of the usual suspects bar NowTV although you can get some Sky channels via the Essential Entertainment pack for £15 per month minus a 10% discount(?) (excepting Sky Atlantic for which you need Sky or NowTV).

The box itself is tidgy and only has space for a USB lead for power (low enough usage to be powered by the TV itself) and an HDMI lead. It seems really smooth and well thought out and uses the same software as far as I can tell as their STB's

It has live TV and a TV guide from which you can 'record'. Like the Sky Stream box you're not actually recording but linking to the catchup Apps although it works very well.

Best thing to my mind is that you manage your subscriptions yourself through your account so can dip in and out at will, without needing to torture yourself trying to talk to VM CS.

If anyone is looking for a (legal) streaming box BTW then I've just switched to VM broadband and decided to pay the one off £35 fee for their VM Streaming box. It's only available if you have their BB and goes back if you leave the BB but there's no monthly fee unless you sign up to any of the various monthly rolling packages available.

I've got a Q box for the wife (I'd dump it in a heartbeat myself) and am using it for a particular App that's not on the smart TV but it's got all of the usual suspects bar NowTV although you can get some Sky channels via the Essential Entertainment pack for £15 per month minus a 10% discount(?) (excepting Sky Atlantic for which you need Sky or NowTV).

The box itself is tidgy and only has space for a USB lead for power (low enough usage to be powered by the TV itself) and an HDMI lead. It seems really smooth and well thought out and uses the same software as far as I can tell as their STB's

It has live TV and a TV guide from which you can 'record'. Like the Sky Stream box you're not actually recording but linking to the catchup Apps although it works very well.

Best thing to my mind is that you manage your subscriptions yourself through your account so can dip in and out at will, without needing to torture yourself trying to talk to VM CS.
A Q box for the wife is not a bad swop!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.