Red Cafe in meltdown

They're a long way off learning the hard lessons of life. They should go down to the Championship for a few seasons, maybe spend a season or two in League One. Maybe be kicked to shit in League Two for a season.
Otherwise, they are just mewling puking infants. Their time as a dominant force is over.
It's over.

At the beginning of the nineties they got very lucky with having an exceptional generation come through at exactly the time that worldwide coverage of the English game kicked in and an Amazon river of money from the satellite companies flowed into the game. They had a hard-nosed manager who got most players he went after — you think of Cantona, you think of Schmeichel, you think of Keane, later Rooney — to bolster the youngsters he had playing. And because Liverpool's star had faded, the media bowed down to them as one man for the relative success they were getting in Europe when nobody else much was. He was allowed to bully match day officials in a way I've never seen before or since.
I shall never, ever feel sorry for them. If you ever feel a grain of sympathy for them you'll be called abruptly to order by bumping into some dickhead at a beach bar or in a pub wearing a United top who's from, say, Brisbane, and who tells you solemnly "Oh yes, I'm a United fan, mate”.
At the beginning of the 90's they spent more money than any English club ever had done before.

The worrying bit is if the Glazers decide to sell to the highest bidder if the rags are relegated.
They might sell if they fail to get Champs League for 2-3 seasons ; hopefully if they do , they'll pocket every cent they get and walk away leaving scruffy with the best part of a billion in debt to clear up.

Beautiful.

They're a long way off learning the hard lessons of life. They should go down to the Championship for a few seasons, maybe spend a season or two in League One. Maybe be kicked to shit in League Two for a season.
Otherwise, they are just mewling puking infants. Their time as a dominant force is over.
It's over.

At the beginning of the nineties they got very lucky with having an exceptional generation come through at exactly the time that worldwide coverage of the English game kicked in and an Amazon river of money from the satellite companies flowed into the game. They had a hard-nosed manager who got most players he went after — you think of Cantona, you think of Schmeichel, you think of Keane, later Rooney — to bolster the youngsters he had playing. And because Liverpool's star had faded, the media bowed down to them as one man for the relative success they were getting in Europe when nobody else much was. He was allowed to bully match day officials in a way I've never seen before or since.
I shall never, ever feel sorry for them. If you ever feel a grain of sympathy for them you'll be called abruptly to order by bumping into some dickhead at a beach bar or in a pub wearing a United top who's from, say, Brisbane, and who tells you solemnly "Oh yes, I'm a United fan, mate”.
Luck didn't come into it - helpful, very helpful refereeing did , and has been their 12th man on the field ever since.

For various reasons, it never bothered me as much as it did other fans.

Firstly, it's our most hated rivals indulging in a bit of piss-taking. Are we saying that rival fans aren't allowed to take the piss out of each other or is it only acceptable when it suits?

Secondly, it highlighted their obsession with us, something that they're so often quick to deny. While those cunts were winning everything and we were dogshit, we still got under their skin enough for them to make banners about us and sing songs about us.

Thirdly, as you say these things do tend to come along and bite you on the arse and eventually it did. United fans should know this more than most after Liverpool fans displayed a banner in 1994 following United's first league title win for 26 years the season before. That put United on 8 league titles and the scousers had a banner saying "Come back when you've won 18", no doubt thinking that it would be 40,50, or even 60 years before that happened when they actually managed it in about 15.

One thing I would add is that Ferguson and United fans in general had absolutely no fucking right to complain about our club doing the Tevez poster when their club was absolutely complicit in allowing that banner to remain in the stadium for years, and often indulged in piss takes around our trophy drought on United's official website.
'TEVEZ' was a marketing master class that got so far under their skin that it still riles them to this day.

It was one of our 'statements of return', approved by a maverick CEO who understood the galvanising power of PR & was prepared to be edgy to achieve it.

Considering our achievements since then, imo, we've missed the opportunity to truly capitalise on and market them in 'OUR CITY' -:

The Yaya semi
Centurions
The Treble
Four in a row
Champions League
Multiple records etc etc

These are our days of 'Wine & Honey' ,contrasting the position of us and them, and we really should be rubbing their noses in it with more hard hitting 'TEVEZ' style poster campaigns in prominent locations.

It's our City !!

They might sell if they fail to get Champs League for 2-3 seasons ; hopefully if they do , they'll pocket every cent they get and walk away leaving scruffy with the best part of a billion in debt to clear up.

Beautiful.
My worry is that some investor will see a billion pounds of debt to be worth accepting for 75% of the rags. Even worse if they are still getting PL broadcast money which makes them more attractive. I mean attractive as an investment, as they certainly aren't attractive in any other way.
You'd hear cheering from across the globe if they were relegated on the final day of the season.

Last edited:
True. And I don't remember anyone, either in the media, or among opposition supporters (apart from us) saying, “This is unhealthy. They're buying the league”.
It was organic you see, whatever that means. They got lucky with the timing of the prem and having a group of academy players coming through at the exact same time, something which hasn't happened before or since. They then had the money to blitz everyone in the transfer market. The days teams got promoted and spent a mil or 2 max whilst they were blitzing 20-30 on a player. Apparently football was more competitive then too....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.