Ref Watch

Rodri was apparently booked not only for the holding offence but also under the 'totting up' process. Hooper made a point of demonstrating this at the time and Dermott Gallagher mentioned it on Ref Watch. I'm quite happy with players who have committed persistent fouls receiving yellow cards, however when Rodri was booked (minute 33) the foul tally according to the BBC match report was:
5' Fabinho
7' Fabinho
13' Henderson
19' Stones
23' Stones
33' Rodri - yellow card
Make of that what you will but unless Rodri was booked because of John Stones' 2 previous fouls, then he was booked for his first foul and not as a result of persistent fouls.

I can’t remember if he’d committed any previous fouls but I think what Gallagher was getting at was the referee was clever to make a point of making it clear it was a booking for totting up rather than for that foul alone. Even though he could have probably justified a booking for it alone.

It meant he left his options open if, as did happen, he later committed a similar foul, that he’d already set the bar for being cautionable.

Our 1st. In the build up, the pass from De Bruyne to Mahrez. It was tight but not off. He's claiming it may have been off if they had bothered to check it.

I believe they have a check on all goals, and so didn't think it was that close.
They check every goal according to the laws of the game, but some elements are open to interpretation.
They have used different laws of the game at Anfield for at least five decades.

Rodri was apparently booked not only for the holding offence but also under the 'totting up' process. Hooper made a point of demonstrating this at the time and Dermott Gallagher mentioned it on Ref Watch. I'm quite happy with players who have committed persistent fouls receiving yellow cards, however when Rodri was booked (minute 33) the foul tally according to the BBC match report was:
5' Fabinho
7' Fabinho
13' Henderson
19' Stones
23' Stones
33' Rodri - yellow card
Make of that what you will but unless Rodri was booked because of John Stones' 2 previous fouls, then he was booked for his first foul and not as a result of persistent fouls.
Whichever it was, it's laughable!

I thought Rodris yellow was his first foul, but was a pretty clear yellow. Noticed the ref pointing around the ground and wondered what the fuck he was on about.

The second foul that.made the scousers cry was no different to fouls by Fabinho and Alexander before, none of which were given a yellow.

Tough shit.
5' Fabinho
7' Fabinho
13' Henderson
19' Stones
23' Stones
33' Rodri - yellow card

Rodri could have been booked before he was booked for pulling back Gakpo. The ref didn’t give a free kick to Liverpool for it, he waved play on, and dint go back and book Rodri. He basically got away with one before he was booked as it is a booking at any other time in the game other than that early.
(This happened on 2mins 17secs)

Doesn’t matter when it is in the game or how many offences they’ve had previously, a pull back of the shirt is a yellow card. Obviously if Rodri had been booked for the first, he would very unlikely have done the same thing for a second time.

Rodri’s foul where the Liverpool players surrounded the ref wasn’t a pull back, nor was it a reckless challenge endangering the opponent, it was just a foul and not a bookable offence.

I don’t think Alexander-Arnold did anything in any of the fouls he gave away to deserve a booking.

But I thought Fabinho’s trip could have been a booking, but in reality Grealish wasn’t heading towards goal so it’s not really a yellow.

Gundo needed to stay on his feet instead of dropping to the deck holding his face, there was nowt in that, a bit pathetic of Gundo to be honest.

We’ve never lost a game when we’ve been referee’d by that ref from Saturday. And I thought he was fine on Saturday, in fact, he had a very good game the ref.

Last edited by a moderator:
5' Fabinho
7' Fabinho
13' Henderson
19' Stones
23' Stones
33' Rodri - yellow card
Think the ref had played an advantage on a previous Rodders foul.... doesn't make the booking correct but, that's why no previous foul shows.

Rodri could have been booked before he was booked for pulling back Gakpo. The ref didn’t give a free kick to Liverpool for it, he waved play on, and dint go back and book Rodri. He basically got away with one before he was booked as it is a booking at any other time in the game other than that early.
(This happened on 2mins 17secs)

Doesn’t matter when it is in the game or how many offences they’ve had previously, a pull back of the shirt is a yellow card. Obviously if Rodri had been booked for the first, he would very unlikely have done the same thing for a second time.

Rodri’s foul where the Liverpool players surrounded the ref wasn’t a pull back, nor was it a reckless challenge endangering the opponent, it was just a foul and not a bookable offence.

I don’t think Alexander-Arnold did anything in any of the fouls he gave away to deserve a booking.

But I thought Fabinho’s trip could have been a booking, but in reality Grealish wasn’t heading towards goal so it’s not really a yellow.

Gundo needed to stay on his feet instead of dropping to the deck holding his face, there was nowt in that, a bit pathetic of Gundo to be honest.

We’ve never lost a game when we’ve been referee’d by that ref from Saturday. And I thought he was fine on Saturday, in fact, he had a very good game the ref.
Fair summary - except he really should have booked Gakpo for the dive

Fair summary - except he really should have booked Gakpo for the dive
I’ve just popped in to make that point saying I’d forgotten about the dive (I’ve watched the full 90 mins back again this morning).

I also think Henderson should have been booked for repeated dissent. He went ballistic after giving a free kick away on de Bruyne, ran into the refs face to get Rodri sent off, squares up to Akanji then walks after the ref.

But I also think Gundogan and Grealish should have been booked for over the top play acting pretending they’d been sledge hammered in the head when they only got the slightest of touches on the ear both times.

Over the top play acting is the thing I hate most in this sport and is the main reason this sport isn’t as good as it should be and it infuriates me most when our own players do it. It’s pathetic and embarrassing and I wish all players would fuck off with that shit, especially City players.

I think in those situations I’d love to see the rugby league Green Card pulled out where a player screaming and rolling around holding their head means they have to go off the pitch for an injury assessment. Rugby league refs pretty much get that card out and say ‘fucking get off the pitch you cheating ****’ without actually saying those words, must be such a satisfying thing to do as a rugby referee.
I’d love to see that brought in in footy.

The ref dealt with both team’s patheticness very well really. He just looked at every player who acted a **** all game as if they were a bunch of fannies who needed to get on with the game. I thought he was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if I've missed it but was the possible offside of Jota in the build up to Liverpool's goal proven not to be at the time, on BT? Only saw the highlights on MotD and no lines were drawn. I couldn't tell from the camera angle they showed.

Think the ref had played an advantage on a previous Rodders foul.... doesn't make the booking correct but, that's why no previous foul shows.
I didn't really have any complaints about the booking. Players know what's coming when they 'pull back' an opponent and, to be honest, Rodri does it more than most due to the nature of his role in the team. I just thought Hooper incorrectly making it out as if it was for a succession of fouls made it look like Rodri was fortunate with the second offence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.