Ref Watch

I can’t remember if he’d committed any previous fouls but I think what Gallagher was getting at was the referee was clever to make a point of making it clear it was a booking for totting up rather than for that foul alone. Even though he could have probably justified a booking for it alone.

It meant he left his options open if, as did happen, he later committed a similar foul, that he’d already set the bar for being cautionable.
Rodri booked for holding. It fits the requirements of the LotG. But why do refs not award penalties twenty times a game for the holding, wrestling, impeding attackers and blatant fouling when a corner is taken?

Rodri could have been booked before he was booked for pulling back Gakpo. The ref didn’t give a free kick to Liverpool for it, he waved play on, and dint go back and book Rodri. He basically got away with one before he was booked as it is a booking at any other time in the game other than that early.
(This happened on 2mins 17secs)

Doesn’t matter when it is in the game or how many offences they’ve had previously, a pull back of the shirt is a yellow card. Obviously if Rodri had been booked for the first, he would very unlikely have done the same thing for a second time.

Rodri’s foul where the Liverpool players surrounded the ref wasn’t a pull back, nor was it a reckless challenge endangering the opponent, it was just a foul and not a bookable offence.

I don’t think Alexander-Arnold did anything in any of the fouls he gave away to deserve a booking.

But I thought Fabinho’s trip could have been a booking, but in reality Grealish wasn’t heading towards goal so it’s not really a yellow.

Gundo needed to stay on his feet instead of dropping to the deck holding his face, there was nowt in that, a bit pathetic of Gundo to be honest.

We’ve never lost a game when we’ve been referee’d by that ref from Saturday. And I thought he was fine on Saturday, in fact, he had a very good game the ref.

I broadly agree with that.
If Rodri's first possible foul was not given due to the ref playing advantage, he wouldn't be booked as the law was changed.
The one he was booked for was a grab with both hands - pretty clear booking.
The second one was as much a knock to the leg as conducted many times. As you say, it doesn't fulfil any requirement for a booking as there was no significant threat.
Alexander-Arnold's worst was when he caught Grealish almost by running into him from the wrong side. It probably looked worse than it was.
Gundogan in the first minute I assumed got a finger in the eye from Fabinho, but an accident.

Refs going leniently is always a risk as it can get out of control. I thought overall it was fine.

Rodri booked for holding. It fits the requirements of the LotG. But why do refs not award penalties twenty times a game for the holding, wrestling, impeding attackers and blatant fouling when a corner is taken?
Because Harry Maguire would be conceding about 5 a game, minimum ;-).

Apologies if I've missed it but was the possible offside of Jota in the build up to Liverpool's goal proven not to be at the time, on BT? Only saw the highlights on MotD and no lines were drawn. I couldn't tell from the camera angle they showed.

They showed it, and he was played onside by Akanji on the near side. It was close, but looked onside to me.

I think in those situations I’d love to see the rugby league Green Card pulled out where a player screaming and rolling around holding their head means they have to go off the pitch for an injury assessment. Rugby league refs pretty much get that card out and say ‘fucking get off the pitch you cheating ****’ without actually saying those words, must be such a satisfying thing to do as a rugby referee.
I’d love to see that brought in in
I agree. The ref can call the physios on (and I wish they would) which means the player has to leave the pitch and be recalled on to it. This actually happened at the infamous Chelsea game where Mourinho abused his physio because by her entering the pitch it meant the cheating Hazard could not be on the pitch to take the free kick. It’s a shithousery trick that the ref could employ when a player is obviously faking it.

I broadly agree with that.
If Rodri's first possible foul was not given due to the ref playing advantage, he wouldn't be booked as the law was changed.
The one he was booked for was a grab with both hands - pretty clear booking.
The second one was as much a knock to the leg as conducted many times. As you say, it doesn't fulfil any requirement for a booking as there was no significant threat.
Alexander-Arnold's worst was when he caught Grealish almost by running into him from the wrong side. It probably looked worse than it was.
Gundogan in the first minute I assumed got a finger in the eye from Fabinho, but an accident.

Refs going leniently is always a risk as it can get out of control. I thought overall it was fine.

Overall I agree. If you look at the totality of the fouls Rodri was guilty of, a yellow but no second yellow is absolutely right. But the first was given for not very much, and from what we can tell was given for an accumulation of fouls (it was his first, not including one for which an advantage was played) rather than stopping a promising attack. But if the first was justified on its own for stopping a promising attack it's difficult to see much difference between the first and the second. Equally, if it was for an accumulation of fouls, it's difficult to see why there weren't yellows for Fabinho and Alexander Arnold to name but two.

Probably City fans and Liverpool fans have broadly similar grounds for complaint.

They showed it, and he was played onside by Akanji on the near side.
Another one of those VAR selected freeze frames where the ball was static [no blur] before Tront had even touched the ball / pulled the trigger, yet many times City freeze frames are selected when the ball has left the foot [blurry] of the City player.

Last edited:
I think as a fan base we have summarised it quite well, probably could have had a booking before he did but Gakpo carried on (if he had gone down it would have been a yellow) and then rightly booked and then a potential second booking not given.

I believe a few things went in his favour, Fabinho not being booked, close proximity to the first booking and that it would be a second booking.

It was the right decision not to send off, but I can understand why Liverpool players asked the question and imagine if it was Fabinho we would have been shouting for a red from the stands.

Gakpo and Fabinho possibly should have had a yellow, but some games are reffed differently and I think this ref didn’t want to be too card happy.

Another one of those BT/Sky selective freeze frames where the ball was static [no blur] before Tront had even touched the ball / pulled the trigger, yet many times City freeze frames are selected when the ball has left the foot [blurry] of the City player.
I think it was onside, but this is my issue with VAR. If it was some way automated and you knew each decision was uniform, I’d be happy with VAR.

But this mm offside/ onside can be manipulated very easily by going forward/ back a couple of frames and being fairly invisible to the naked eye.

An animation shown on the big screen, with ball played and lines automatically drawn would be great.

Overall I agree. If you look at the totality of the fouls Rodri was guilty of, a yellow but no second yellow is absolutely right. But the first was given for not very much, and from what we can tell was given for an accumulation of fouls (it was his first, not including one for which an advantage was played) rather than stopping a promising attack. But if the first was justified on its own for stopping a promising attack it's difficult to see much difference between the first and the second. Equally, if it was for an accumulation of fouls, it's difficult to see why there weren't yellows for Fabinho and Alexander Arnold to name but two.

Probably City fans and Liverpool fans have broadly similar grounds for complaint.

Reasonable opinion certainly - if both sides think the ref has been lenient with the other, it's probably a reasonable day from him.

I thought Rodri pulled the man back with both hands for the first one, but the second one was as much his foot as his hands. It was inside the Liverpool half with a defender right in the way so there was no Stopping of a Promising Attack option. Also I think the Liverpool player ran across Rodri to some extent, and the ref had a decent angle for that.

I think there is a growth in opinion that X many fouls means a card, something the TV media say a lot in the form of "that's his third/fourth". The laws specifically state that there is no definition of how many is "persistent" before a ref books someone, as it'll depend on what the fouls are for. I can't say if Hooper was right when pointing to a previous offence, as I've not watched it back to see.

Whoscored reckons Fabinho only gave away 2 fouls (surprisingly), TAA 3 fouls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.