Ref Watch

Agree with everything you say, but, let's be honest, we're supposed to get 90 minutes football being played.
The fans are, in effect, being short changed, and have been for years. It doesn't happen in Rugby or Hockey, so why not football? Football fans (myself included) may whinge and moan about it, but nothing is ever done by those in authority. Again, why?
A good few years ago (in the 1970s), I took a stopwatch to Maine Road, against (I think) Middleborough, and stopped and started it like a countdown clock. The results were frightening: 21 minutes actual playing time in the first half, and 23 in the second!
50 years on, and nothing seems to have changed.
What, you still have the same stopwatch. Amazing;-)

One thing he did do though, which you don’t see very often is, he pulled back play for a Southampton free kick just inside their own half right near the end, even though the ball had broken to one of their players in a decent attacking position in theory. But he understood that playing on would not be an advantage to Southampton at that time in the game so brought it back. A lot of referees just judge possession and advantage as the same thing, which it isn’t always. That was good refereeing that.
Fair do's then mate! It was certainly edge of the seat stuff, even though we weren't playing!

One thing he did do though, which you don’t see very often is, he pulled back play for a Southampton free kick just inside their own half right near the end, even though the ball had broken to one of their players in a decent attacking position in theory. But he understood that playing on would not be an advantage to Southampton at that time in the game so brought it back. A lot of referees just judge possession and advantage as the same thing, which it isn’t always. That was good refereeing that.
I agree, that was good refereeing.

If only he could have given the two other obvious fouls for Southampton on two separate counters before that (one which would have seen them get a free kick near Arsenal’s near corner flag), rather than ignoring them and letting Arsenal break and have scoring opportunities.

Agree with everything you say, but, let's be honest, we're supposed to get 90 minutes football being played.
The fans are, in effect, being short changed, and have been for years. It doesn't happen in Rugby or Hockey, so why not football? Football fans (myself included) may whinge and moan about it, but nothing is ever done by those in authority. Again, why?
A good few years ago (in the 1970s), I took a stopwatch to Maine Road, against (I think) Middleborough, and stopped and started it like a countdown clock. The results were frightening: 21 minutes actual playing time in the first half, and 23 in the second!
50 years on, and nothing seems to have changed.
Couldn't agree more! And the variation in time played makes sure that horological integrity has becpme a joke. It would never get to the point of an Opta statistic but what variation is there, over 38 games? How long did the Arse have to win their games and how long did we have? Those at the bottom of the league? How little time did they have to escape the trap door? And the most obvious aspect of time-keeping - Fergie Timer - is just ripe for manipulation. The refs mights have watches of great accuracy but the variation I've seen at the end of a first half and second half, the time supposedly added on for subs 'n celebrations never fills me with any kind of conviction we've just watched a match, timewise, that was a mirror of the one on another ground.

Edit: 'Kinell, I've just posted the above and scrolled back up to the top and there's an advert for a Rolex Daytona - £111k! I wonder if Wednesday's whistling wanker will be strutting about with one on each wrist?

Couldn't agree more! And the variation in time played makes sure that horological integrity has becpme a joke. It would never get to the point of an Opta statistic but what variation is there, over 38 games? How long did the Arse have to win their games and how long did we have? Those at the bottom of the league? How little time did they have to escape the trap door? And the most obvious aspect of time-keeping - Fergie Timer - is just ripe for manipulation. The refs mights have watches of great accuracy but the variation I've seen at the end of a first half and second half, the time supposedly added on for subs 'n celebrations never fills me with any kind of conviction we've just watched a match, timewise, that was a mirror of the one on another ground.

Edit: 'Kinell, I've just posted the above and scrolled back up to the top and there's an advert for a Rolex Daytona - £111k! I wonder if Wednesday's whistling wanker will be strutting about with one on each wrist?
I have noted how when City are winning easily we get 2 or 3 minutes injury time when it should be a lot more. Now what would happen should it be close either at the top for the title or perhaps relegation. Surely a team near the bottom would prefer this than to the Arsenal scenario yesterday. Imagine City playing an extra ten minutes against a poor side. Could mean an extra 2 goals.

I have noted how when City are winning easily we get 2 or 3 minutes injury time when it should be a lot more. Now what would happen should it be close either at the top for the title or perhaps relegation. Surely a team near the bottom would prefer this than to the Arsenal scenario yesterday. Imagine City playing an extra ten minutes against a poor side. Could mean an extra 2 goals.
All depends on two things: how many points a team would need out of the game and what the score was! Yer right about the added time. When we were 1-2 down in 2012 I wanted a quarter added time, and when Aguero scored I wanted it to be the last kick. Same last season, but we got our third way to early!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.