Ref Watch

Just watched it again on City+, the commentary for the penalty is as follows, from 8:12:
" Ramsdale's spilt it, De Bruyne's brought down, penalty!.. no, what's Michael Oliver given? What's he given Michael Oliver?... Well it looked like a foul on De Bruyne, what's he given Michael Oliver?...He's given a free kick to Arsenal and not a penalty to City. Well I am not sure what he thinks has just happened there? Andy?... It's looks as though he's insinuating De Bruyne has... stepped across..., yeh... I can see Partey has just got his foot in there, and De Bruyne's has...yes I can see why, but initially, yeh, I can see it's the right decision, and in fact it's a very, very good decision because you can see the initial thought is penalty, and I think everyone of us thought it was, but, looking at it, he's correct...Well in reality what happened was De Bruyne went to hit the ball into the back of the net, after Ramsdale's spilt it, Partey came in to stop De Bruyne, De Bruyne's took a swing to where he thought the ball was and kicked Partey, and the two of them then fell over. So it is one of those where Michael Oliver has the gut instinct that it was the attacker that caused the collision, rather than the defensive midfielder, and it's the reason Andy felt it wasn't a penalty, "

I still think Oliver was very biased to Arsenal, but unfortunately I have to agree with the City commentary on the early penalty.
No idea what either of you are watching. Bizarre thought process! 6 studs planted in Kev’s ankle!

Attachments

• 14551888-9378-4B43-8A24-DB698412E6F2.jpeg
    14551888-9378-4B43-8A24-DB698412E6F2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Bt woman commentator said about the partey rugby tackle at the end that Oliver was right and it would be rediculous to send him off at this late stage. Load of bollocks
Too early in the game to give City a stonewall pen and too late in the game to send Partey off, that should be our end of season VHS/DVD title

It’s a clear penalty because Partey doesn’t have his foot in front of the ball trying to play it, he has it out to block Kev and this trips him.

It’s as nailed in a penalty as you will ever see but it set the night up for Oliver who was as bent as a 9 Bob note all evening, aided and abetted by his mate in VAR and all under instruction from the PL who are desperate.
I honestly think Oliver got that call right. Kev actually kicked Partey. I think a few on here need to remove their blinkers. The only thing he got seriously wrong was not giving Partey a 2nd yellow.

Been on a few Arsenal forums and they are all saying he favoured City

It’s a clear penalty because Partey doesn’t have his foot in front of the ball trying to play it, he has it out to block Kev and this trips him.

It’s as nailed in a penalty as you will ever see but it set the night up for Oliver who was as bent as a 9 Bob note all evening, aided and abetted by his mate in VAR and all under instruction from the PL who are desperate.
It's not a penalty as Partey is within playing distance of the ball and is therefore able to use his body or legs as a shield. 'Playing Distance' is normally considered to be a distance that if the blocker was to attempt to play the ball, he could do so with just a single movement of either leg!

Remember it is KDB who has impacted on Partey, who managed to get his shield within playing distance of the ball, he is perfectly validated in making that shield.

If Partey had been beyond playing distance of the ball, then it is a foul. Just to validate my interpretation, I was until a few years ago a referee.

The same thought process is used for the shoulder charge. If the charger impacts his opponent before he is within a stride 'playing distance' of the ball, then it is a shove. If he is, then it is a fair charge.

I honestly think Oliver got that call right. Kev actually kicked Partey. I think a few on here need to remove their blinkers. The only thing he got seriously wrong was not giving Partey a 2nd yellow.

Been on a few Arsenal forums and they are all saying he favoured City

His foot goes across to block Kev and at no point is he attempting to play the ball. It’s a free kick elsewhere on the pitch so a penalty and it’s nothing to do with blinkers mate.

I respect your opinions on these matters but not this time I’m afraid

According to the Arsenal forum, Oliver was biased all night in favour of Arsenal!
Not had chance to watch the game back yet but, I'm prepared to think we were screaming for everything at the game with emotions flowing....however, I saw enough to know his management of yellows for Arsenal was disgraceful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.