Ref Watch

I still keep finding myself saying to my sons,”don’t worry that won’t be given, or will be, VAR will see it and give the right decision “. I must be getting more stupid as I get older because more and more VAR is just a tool to back up the original decision of the on field ref, which obviously isn’t always right.
Getting silly now. The Video ASSISTANT Ref should be exactly that.... an assistant. He should simply give the on-field referee the opportunity to look at whatever incident on the monitor and let the dullard make his own decision.

You should try it. Not very easy at all. Should try it one day if you think its not too strenuous.

Last time I had to do a Level 4 test it was 3200 mtrs in 12 minutes. If you passed the finish line before 12 minutes you had to continue running until the 12 minutes was up. Rumour was that when Oliver did the test he was almost 1000 mtrs over when the 12 minutes expired.

About 15 year ago they got us to do a bleep test. Had to get to level 14 to pass the test. 1 lad only managed level 4 which is basically a brisk walk
I wasn’t playing it down, mate. These referees are supposed to be professional and the main part of that is being fit for purpose. I do 5 training sessions a week and have done similar all my life, that’s why I mention it would be more difficult for somebody who doesn’t train.

Interesting that you had to get to level 14 on a bleep test. 10-11 would be classed as a good measure of sprint fitness so level 14 would make them some of the best athletes we’ve ever seen. From what we’ve seen of ref’s over the years I’d suggest not many attained the score mentioned.

I think Atkinson & Oliver are the best. However, they are the best of a bad bunch. Think Taylor is also not bad.

The worst being Jon Moss (who failed the fitness test 2x last year), Attwell & Mason.

Would agree on the most part, but Atkinson is well past his best.
If he was chosen for a European final, or a World cup I would be very nervous for him.
Cheers

I wasn’t playing it down, mate. These referees are supposed to be professional and the main part of that is being fit for purpose. I do 5 training sessions a week and have done similar all my life, that’s why I mention it would be more difficult for somebody who doesn’t train.

Interesting that you had to get to level 14 on a bleep test. 10-11 would be classed as a good measure of sprint fitness so level 14 would make them some of the best athletes we’ve ever seen. From what we’ve seen of ref’s over the years I’d suggest not many attained the score mentioned.

I got to level 13 bleep test for a number of years, I never saw the likes of Mason or Moss beside me

I got to level 13 bleep test for a number of years, I never saw the likes of Mason or Moss beside me
That’s some going, mate. Playing football and rugby I’d regularly get above 12 but always stopped as there was nobody left to sprint against. Never got to 14.

That’s some going, mate. Playing football and rugby I’d regularly get above 12 but always stopped as there was nobody left to sprint against. Never got to 14.

I trained with a basketball pro, and ABA boxing middleweight., both had long strides suitable for that particular test.

We also did a test on the bike , spectrum and running machine, which I was competitive. One of the lads became British champion in spectrum 2000, despite never being in a canoe-)

I cannot imagine what type of diet and training regime results in the fat bastards that referee in the premier league

Today I noticed a comment in the press concerning the operation of VAR producing the opposite conclusion to what is viewed by spectators , and making the statement that something is wrong.

That observation is made by Martin Samuels - no surprise as he is the best journalist out there imo.

He doesn't use the word corrupt but that is exactly what he is inferring. He is saying what so many supporters feel, that is that VAR is being used to achieve outcomes / decisions which are clearly wrong.

Supporters are being cheated by PiGMOL, and their referees.

Reading the article and Stuart Attwell came to mind with his " performance " seven days ago at Brighton.

Last edited:
Today I noticed a comment in the press concerning the operation of VAR producing the opposite conclusion to what is viewed by spectators , and making the statement that something is wrong.

That observation is made by Martin Samuels - no surprise as he is the best journalist out there imo.

He doesn't use the word corrupt but that is exactly what he is inferring. He is saying what so many supporters feel, that is that VAR is being used to achieve outcomes / decisions which are clearly wrong.

Supporters are being cheated by PiGMOL, and their referees.

Reading the article and Stuart Attwell came to mind with his " performance " seven days ago at Brighton.
Just a shame he works for the mail, I refuse to allow their 3m advertising cookies onto my PC so can't read his articles now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.