Ref Watch

If you think it’s a deliberate forearm smash in the face then that’s a red card
It’s down to the ferocity of the contact. Players fend of others deliberately all the time.

His hand not being clenched is a big indicator for referees in judging recklessness vs dangerousness.

The former is a yellow card tariff, the latter a red.

I didn’t think think the Palace ‘keeper was generally time wasting on goal kicks. Maybe pushed it a couple of times but not enough to warrant a booking. It was more the fans in the South Stand getting on his back the second the ball went out, making it appear so. Not that that’s a bad tactic by the crowd, as it puts in the referees mind at least. But the ball being out of play is part of the game. The goalkeeper or anybody else is under no obligation to rush the retake.

As for the Cancelo incident. I probably had a better view of it than any of the officials and I have to admit my immediate reaction was… Get up and get on with it kid. In hindsight it was a foul and probably a booking but VAR can’t advise on that.

I agree with that.
The Cancelo incident looked worse when I watched a replay. Not enough for VAR to warrant Red. Cancelo can act up a bit sometimes.

I didn’t think think the Palace ‘keeper was generally time wasting on goal kicks. Maybe pushed it a couple of times but not enough to warrant a booking. It was more the fans in the South Stand getting on his back the second the ball went out, making it appear so. Not that that’s a bad tactic by the crowd, as it puts in the referees mind at least. But the ball being out of play is part of the game. The goalkeeper or anybody else is under no obligation to rush the retake.

As for the Cancelo incident. I probably had a better view of it than any of the officials and I have to admit my immediate reaction was… Get up and get on with it kid. In hindsight it was a foul and probably a booking but VAR can’t advise on that.
I agree about the keeper. Have seen worse.

Still puzzling over the Cancelo red. Regardless of whether it was or not, does var not have a duty to recommend the referee reviews it, highlight it as a possible missed red card offence? Referee then fully entitled to do as he wishes.

Although our English var system seems to be there specifically to re-referee the game in some instances, with the occasion a referee disagrees with a var challenge few and far between. Yes, it would increase the stoppages in plain slight, but red card offences are fairly rare and can impact a game significantly.

If cancelo gets medical treatment and makes a bigger deal of it (ok he rolled like a 5 year old playing soliders) does the ref then in the pause and the questions from our players then go for a review?

Luckily we overcame it but for other teams going two down could have been three points lost.

Oh what we'd give to have the referees and var audible to us mere paying fans. Would probably do away with half the conspiracy theories overnight too.

Just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, especially following on from Trippier's overturned red which still makes me wince when I see it. Both cases not in control and endangering an opponent, all for a physical game but there's a world cup ruining moment for a player coming along any time now.

Last edited:
I have watched it several times. I don’t think the ball was out of play but it’s a bit inconclusive from the angle I was watching it from. That’s irrelevant as to whether it was violent conduct anyway. You can be dismissed for violent conduct at half time or after the final whistle.
The ball being out of play means the ref did not have a decision to make, mainly as he did not see it but VAR did and chose not to, without the ball being in play it can not be classed as just a coming together, only violent play and the player can still be charged by the FA, we will see.

he got a yellow for it
No he got a red and if that would have stood no one could complain as there were three reasons for red and two for yellow. the staff at VAR did though even though it was beyond their brief, lots of people give good reasons for the yellow but the red has just as much validity so should not be changed as it is not a clear and obvious mistake, my question perhaps should said have we seen yet another in-season change of rules to thwart City is this a first?

Still puzzling over the Cancelo red. Regardless of whether it was or not, does var not have a duty to recommend the referee reviews it, highlight it as a possible missed red card offence? Referee then fully entitled to do as he wishes.

Although our English var system seems to be there specifically to re-referee the game in some instances, with the occasion a referee disagrees with a var challenge few and far between. Yes, it would increase the stoppages in plain slight, but red card offences are fairly rare and can impact a game significantly.

If cancelo gets medical treatment and makes a bigger deal of it (ok he rolled like a 5 year old playing soliders) does the ref then in the pause and the questions from our players then go for a review?

Luckily we overcame it but for other teams going two down could have been three points lost.

Oh what we'd give to have the referees and var audible to us mere paying fans. Would probably do away with half the conspiracy theories overnight too.

Just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, especially following on from Trippier's overturned red which still makes me wince when I see it. Both cases not in control and endangering an opponent, all for a physical game but there's a world cup ruining moment for a player coming along any time now.
Good points the first thing you notice on a replay is Ayew`s arm is up, a yellow as it was with Walker vs calvin-Lewin the second is Ayew looks at Cancelo and the third is he jabs his elbow back into the face of Cancelo, now which bit do you think the staff of VAR did not want the Ref to see.
The plus side of this was Haaland`s high boot should have been a yellow at least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.