Ref Watch

Had Riyad been fouled as he was gonna hit the goalie with the ball and a pen was in the realms of being a stoner, not given, Brighton clear, go up the other end and score a perfectly good goal. What does VAR do with Riyad's pen. Absolute stoner, no question, ref wasn't giving it, just like PawPatrol on Saturday! We're trailing back for a restart. I fancy that VAR would ignore the pen. Would anyone think that Brighton would have their goal cancelled and we get the VAR pen. The game is a couple of kicks away from descending to farcical proportions.

Off work so thought I'd give Dermot a watch, like watching a different program without Warnock there.
Paul Robinson was bigging city up earlier on and was decent in summing up ( city should have had earlier pen by the way)

Reactions: CC1
Had Riyad been fouled as he was gonna hit the goalie with the ball and a pen was in the realms of being a stoner, not given, Brighton clear, go up the other end and score a perfectly good goal. What does VAR do with Riyad's pen. Absolute stoner, no question, ref wasn't giving it, just like PawPatrol on Saturday! We're trailing back for a restart. I fancy that VAR would ignore the pen. Would anyone think that Brighton would have their goal cancelled and we get the VAR pen. The game is a couple of kicks away from descending to farcical proportions.

Pretty much exactly what happened to us at Anfield a couple of years ago wasn’t it? Well without the giving a penalty bit. Would have been a stone waller with today’s interpretation though.

There was one doing the rounds on social media last season of a German game I think, where it did exactly happen like that though. Goal chalked off at one end and back down the other end for a pen.

Pretty much exactly what happened to us at Anfield a couple of years ago wasn’t it? Well without the giving a penalty bit. Would have been a stone waller with today’s interpretation though.

There was one doing the rounds on social media last season of a German game I think, where it did exactly happen like that though. Goal chalked off at one end and back down the other end for a pen.
There was something similar in the Nations League semi final a few years back between Portugal and Switzerland.

Ref gave a penalty to Portugal, but then had to look at the monitor and saw an earlier foul that meant it was a Swiss penalty instead. PR37 wasn’t impressed.

There was something similar in the Nations League semi final a few years back between Portugal and Switzerland.

Ref gave a penalty to Portugal, but then had to look at the monitor and saw an earlier foul that meant it was a Swiss penalty instead. PR37 wasn’t impressed.
How 'earlier' was the Portuguese foul on the Swiss? And how many extra minutes did the fourth official add on for the game continuing beyond the Swiss pen? And did the Portuguese get their pen in the end? Some games would be better played on the stage of the old Ardwick Hippodrome.

How 'earlier' was the Portuguese foul on the Swiss? And how many extra minutes did the fourth official add on for the game continuing beyond the Swiss pen? And did the Portuguese get their pen in the end? Some games would be better played on the stage of the old Ardwick Hippodrome.
Not sure on timings, but it was in the box at one end and the Portuguese countered and got their penalty.

Well, they didn’t as it was cancelled and the Swiss scored their penalty.

Isn't a big part of the problem that there isn't really a definition of what is or isn't a penalty ? Well, it's supposed to be something you'd have got a (direct) free kick for outside the box, but we know it isn't applied like that or there'd be 2 or 3 penalties every game.

But because it has to be more significant than a foul anywhere else on the pitch, no one can agree how much more. So 10 "experts" can watch an incident a dozen times in slow motion from every angle ... and still 5 will say " clear penalty" and 5 say "well, he did catch him but there's not enough contact for me / he was looking for it / he went down too easily / etc".

Once you say that, then VAR also becomes subjective ?
VAR is a human so they make judgements in the same way, subjectively like all decisions in football except ones that are relative to a line be it painted or virtual

It shouldn't be okay that a penalty as clear as day as the one that wasn't given to us from VAR is simply brushed over and not commented on. Very few incidents are less stonewall than that was.. Infuriating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.