Ref Watch

I find it hard to understand how, after watching that, the club don't complain. There is enough evidence to ask a credible and difficult question of PIGMOL. Just what the fuck was Atwell doing. He certainly didn't referee to the LOTG. So is he just incompetent or is he bent? There can only be one.

Arguably the most suspect performance from a referee officiating one of our matches in years.

Some of this non-calls boggle the mind, him issuing Lewis the first yellow after Leeds had the freedom of the butchers before that (and Leeds player had just shoved Lewis to the ground with no consequence), and his refusal to protect Jack really warrants an official complaint to PGMOL.
I've suggested before that City should appoint a "refereeing consultant" as Real Madrid have done. An ex FIFA official with no ties to PGMOL would be ideal. They could be in the dugout and liaise with the 4th Official, advise players on how to avoid refereeing sanctions and produce a detailed critique of each refereeing performance for submission to PGMOL and the FA and with appropriate legal checks publish on the club's website or via MEN.

Probably the worst performance so far this season. The Cancelo decision was just bizarre. I have said this previously. Been on loads of courses and remember Howard Webb saying that having possesion does not automatically constitute having an advantage. City seem to get load of advantages where we have a player down or on the edge of our box or even when we have 1 attacker onto 4 defenders. Also, his use of the cards was very questionable

Probably the worst performance so far this season. The Cancelo decision was just bizarre. I have said this previously. Been on loads of courses and remember Howard Webb saying that having possesion does not automatically constitute having an advantage. City seem to get load of advantages where we have a player down or on the edge of our box or even when we have 1 attacker onto 4 defenders. Also, his use of the cards was very questionable
I think the Cancelo one was given for a 'slight' tugback from Haaland about 2 seconds before he blew.

The issue I have with it is in the context of all the other niggly challenges (and worse) that Leeds had got away with it was an absolutely nothing challenge. The only difference was that Cancelo was free to run in on goal and it was clear Atwell was never going to let that happen.

I'm sure I read (and it may even have been one of your posts), that teams will let the ref know their preference in terms of playing advantage.

Clearly as City push a lot of players forward, they often benefit from the advantage rule, and we regularly seem to score goals where the initial pass was made by someone now lying crumpled on the floor.

I was a bit frustrated with a couple of the "advantages" last night, but is it a tricky balance for the ref when the preference is to play the advantage even if sometimes that's not the best option?

I'm sure I read (and it may even have been one of your posts), that teams will let the ref know their preference in terms of playing advantage.

Clearly as City push a lot of players forward, they often benefit from the advantage rule, and we regularly seem to score goals where the initial pass was made by someone now lying crumpled on the floor.

I was a bit frustrated with a couple of the "advantages" last night, but is it a tricky balance for the ref when the preference is to play the advantage even if sometimes that's not the best option?
Playing advantage is one thing. Not bringing the play back to book the player is entirely another matter.

There were two or three last night that escaped a booking after advantage was played. Can't help thinking they were purposely ignored to ensure a respectable score line.

The Cancelo decision was because Haaland pulled the defender who might have otherwise tackled Cancelo.

The Cancelo decision was because Haaland pulled the defender who might have otherwise tackled Cancelo.
Slight tug. Nothing more. No enough to warrant going down, and certainly didn't appear to stop him challenging for the ball. Cancelo was just too quick. It just gave the ref an excuse.

In the context of the whole game Atwell let a whole lot worse slide. The ONLY difference was City were in on goal.

Playing advantage is one thing. Not bringing the play back to book the player is entirely another matter.

There were two or three last night that escaped a booking after advantage was played. Can't help thinking they were purposely ignored to ensure a respectable score line.
Law now says you don't caution a player for stopping a promising attack if you play advantage. You can still caution if it was a reckless challenge or other offence. E.g. Becjetic for holding Palmer's shirt v Liverpool was booked despite advantage played (though it could still have been brought back for a free kick).

Law now says you don't caution a player for stopping a promising attack if you play advantage. You can still caution if it was a reckless challenge or other offence. E.g. Becjetic for holding Palmer's shirt v Liverpool was booked despite advantage played (though it could still have been brought back for a free kick).
The one on Haaland?

Looked reckless to me.

Slight tug. Nothing more. No enough to warrant going down, and certainly didn't appear to stop him challenging for the ball. Cancelo was just too quick. It just gave the ref an excuse.

In the context of the whole game Atwell let a whole lot worse slide. The ONLY difference was City were in on goal.
It meant it wasn't the ridiculous decision it looked at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.