Ref Watch

I've just watched it loads of times. Unbelievably bad decision. I can't stress enough how utterly poor this decision was.

Firstly, the linesman was correct to flag offside after the ball went in. (Cue vociferous complaining by Fernandez and Rashford, telling the linesman that Rashford didn't touch the ball).

The linesman then calms the United players down. I wonder what he told them. Maybe something like "Don't panic, the goal will stand". Obviously we don't know, but Fernandez's reaction to this brief encounter suggests he knew the goal would stand. Attwell and linesman then have a conversation, and goal is given.

Questions:

1. What did the linesman say to Attwell?

2. What did the VAR say, if anything? Why didn't he intervene and correct this abomination of a decision?

3. Why on earth, didn't the VAR recommend Attwell checks the monitor?

4. Why didn't Attwell ask to see the incident on the monitor to inform his own decision?

This is gross misconduct by all three of them. It should result in disciplinary action. You just know the whole refereeing establishment will close ranks though. Maybe we'll get an acknowledgement and apology.

This has to be a real low point in the already checkered history of VAR. You have to ask yourself if three officials all reaching the same wrong decision is a coincidence, or is it bent?
It was blatant cheating, nobody will ever convince me that cheating doesn't go on in our premier League. One day it will come out, just as it did in Italy

Surely the offside is before the foul?

As Akanji is chasing the player who is already offside
Well that would be the obvious and sensible thing, the law however says...

a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

Well that would be the obvious and sensible thing, the law however says...
Which makes the way this law was interpreted today even worse. So Akanji lets him run offside. The officials dont call it, so Akanji in racing back makes the foul and would be promptly sent off….

The fucktards are running the asylum…..

I've just watched it loads of times. Unbelievably bad decision. I can't stress enough how utterly poor this decision was.

Firstly, the linesman was correct to flag offside after the ball went in. (Cue vociferous complaining by Fernandez and Rashford, telling the linesman that Rashford didn't touch the ball).

The linesman then calms the United players down. I wonder what he told them. Maybe something like "Don't panic, the goal will stand". Obviously we don't know, but Fernandez's reaction to this brief encounter suggests he knew the goal would stand. Attwell and linesman then have a conversation, and goal is given.

Questions:

1. What did the linesman say to Attwell?

2. What did the VAR say, if anything? Why didn't he intervene and correct this abomination of a decision?

3. Why on earth, didn't the VAR recommend Attwell checks the monitor?

4. Why didn't Attwell ask to see the incident on the monitor to inform his own decision?

This is gross misconduct by all three of them. It should result in disciplinary action. You just know the whole refereeing establishment will close ranks though. Maybe we'll get an acknowledgement and apology.

This has to be a real low point in the already checkered history of VAR. You have to ask yourself if three officials all reaching the same wrong decision is a coincidence, or is it bent?
Each and everyone one of the officials involved should be discipline then tarred and feathered for the cheating and conspiracy today

Simon, please show the rule that states that the player has to touch the ball to be deemed offside.....you can't because that is not the rule
My understanding was that if the player moved towards the ball he was considered to be interfering with play

Akanji wouldn't have been sent off for any foul on Rashford cause he is offside

I don't think that's always true, but it can be depending on timing:
  • a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
  • an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge
Being in an offside position is not in itself an offence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.