Ref Watch

I think Mr Gallagher has already said on a US network he thinks it would be better if they’d have disallowed it…. Roll on tomorrow….
... whilst going on to say 'but by the letter of the law the referee was 100% correct'. And then the panel will accept his superior knowledge of the LOTG as gospel, and subtly move on to just how brilliant the Rag's were and how they genuinely deserved to win the game, and in three days time it will all be forgotten and everyone will move on.

Then what is the point of them if their advice is ignored? The lino clearly though he was off, and then something happened and he folded like a deck chair in a stiff breeze without 'seemingly' any interaction with the referee.
Sounds to me that the decision had already been taken, United were having that goal whatever the circumstances. The lino knew it was offside, he was just late in hearing what the outcome was to be via his earpiece.

Sounds to me that the decision had already been taken, United were having that goal whatever the circumstances. The lino knew it was offside, he was just late in hearing what the outcome was to be via his earpiece.
Some officials are quite good at making a dodgy decision look legitimate, and this guy clearly didn't get the memo...

I’ve seen a couple of quick replays. I’ve not studied facial expressions and jumped to conclusions about possible conversations.

Are you suggesting because Fernandez shouted at him it’s likely he told Fernandez he was going to change his mind and tell the referee he didn’t mean to flag really?
The Lino didn’t change his mind He and VAR confirmed that he was offside Atwell made the decision that he wasnt interfering with play I sure that he asks the lino if Rashford touched the ball he had probably asked Oliver in VAR as well When it was confirmed that he hadn’t this gave the opportunity for the corrupt ( or incompetent ) Atwell to award the goal knowing the likes of Walton and Ghallager would support him

Then what is the point of them if their advice is ignored? The lino clearly though he was off, and then something happened and he folded like a deck chair in a stiff breeze without 'seemingly' any interaction with the referee.

Because they are an ‘assistant’ Literally. He indicated he thought it was offside. The bloke who makes the decisions decided to ignore him. What can he do, snatch the whistle out of his hand and declare himself in charge? He didn’t fold, he was overruled.

• clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or [this is the point in most question for me, and is subjective]
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball [similar to the immediate point above]

Rashford is chasing the ball and then moves his leg as if he is going to shoot: there is nothing subjective in the fact that those actions impact the behaviour of Ederson, Akanji (Rashford's between the ball and Akanji and shields the ball from Akanji) and arguably Walker. If Rashford had stopped his run due to being offside, Fernandes wouldn't have reached the ball (Walker is quicker!), and even if Walker had failed to clear the ball, Ederson's reaction would have been different: he might have saved the shot.

Nothing subjective mate. It was a terrible decision.

The Lino didn’t change his mind He and VAR confirmed that he was offside Atwell made the decision that he wasnt interfering with play I sure that he asks the lino if Rashford touched the ball he had probably asked Oliver in VAR as well When it was confirmed that he hadn’t this gave the opportunity for the corrupt ( or incompetent ) Atwell to award the goal knowing the likes of Walton and Ghallager would support him

The guy I was replying to was saying the linesman told Fernandez not to worry as the goal was going to given, before he’d spoken to the referee.

I’ve seen a couple of quick replays. I’ve not studied facial expressions and jumped to conclusions about possible conversations.

Are you suggesting because Fernandez shouted at him it’s likely he told Fernandez he was going to change his mind and tell the referee he didn’t mean to flag really?

I'm suggesting precisely that. Maybe not a change of mind, but he could have said he was compelled to flag, but also that he will now tell Attwell that Rashford didn't touch the ball. It's only speculation, of course, but Fernandes was certainly happy after the conversation.

Cann is best buddies with Howard Webb of course. Cann and Mullarkey were linesmen to Webb for much of Webb's career. Webb described him as one of the best linesmen in the world.

Webb, the known Rag sympathiser, now being Cann's boss. And if anyone thinks Attwell carries any seniority in that relationship, I think they are deluded. Cann had almost 20 year's experience in the PL, and as you say has officiated at a World Cup final and in latter stages of the CL. Attwell hasn't the personality to be anything other than a yes man.
3459fb3c3b4b9d9e15b803b16f6ca543.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.