Ref Watch

What makes you say I’m upset?

I’m very aware of how corruption works & despite seeing it I’ve watched my club have its most successful period in its history. I also believe we’d have won far more without it.

If I stop watching it, they’ve won.

Corruption works by people accepting it. In the last 12 months I called out the CEO & exec team at my workplace for their “integrity” failure to apply the procedures & after 12 months of bullying & harassment (passive aggressive & humiliation) I resigned & have an ongoing legal case. If I win which will likely take another 2 years I’ll still have gained less than keeping quiet.

But what are you actually doing to highlight this ‘corruption’ aside from venting on a forum ?

Every PL club has fans moaning on forums about refs/VAR decisions and feel aggrieved it goes against them all the time

Man Utd fans angered by VAR decisions

Many more examples for all clubs

You’re literally doing the same as other fans for all clubs that think officials are against them

If everyone actually boycotted the game because of this ‘corruption’ then no, they wouldn’t win and it would seriously have to be looked into

Until then it just carry’s on - fans for all clubs moaning about refs decisions and calling it ‘biased, ‘corrupt etc

Being swayed by the crowd is actually corruption.
Cheers - I disagree though.

Unconscious bias due to outside factors is human nature - there's no corrupting motivation per se. Crowd noise is one factor that might influence decisions - with no corruption involved.

Corruption for me is wrongdoing - acting against one's beliefs. Usually this is for monetary gain - but corruption due to other factors is also possible - threats to ones family, threats to expose some sort of heretofore unknown fact to the public such as financial improprieties - sexual preference - sexual indiscretions - and so on.

The key here - acting in a manner against your on-field judgement. Subconsciously acting in one way or another due to crowd noise isn't corruption - it's simply human nature.

It’s also human nature , I’ve seen a ref give a couple bad decisions against us, the crowd go absolutely berserk after and when we get a penalty appeal the ref thinks ‘f*ck’ and points to the spot - that’s why I support having VAR so it can take that psychological aspect away from the ref in these situations and give a clear verdict rather than a ref that’s been intimidated to give it.

But VAR is also intimidated by the crowd. Dragging a referee over to a screen at the side of Anfield….

Cheers. Due to the huge amount of money involved it's very possible that cheating and scandal is occurring even in the P/L.

That said - I believe in the average man. If ongoing corruption were in fact occurring, some honest man is bound to be approached. And he'd report it. And if no action occurred he'd take it further and further up the line - until action were taken.

Me - I have faith in your fellow Englishmen - as honest, upright individuals, for the most part. Corruption might occur - but I think that this would be a short-term aberration.

As I've said above, you're free to take a very dim view and believe otherwise. But if so, I'd advise you to stop watching football - because it's only going to upset you when the inevitable mistake goes against us.
No, mate, I don’t take a dim view at all and enjoy all opinions. I don’t have to stop watching football, it’s part of my life, whether watching City or playing the game. When you’re a City fan you accept what is on offer and also see what is right in front of you.

Bit of a low blow from you to state I should walk away as being a fan doesn’t work like that. The vast majority on here were there before the PL and will have seen some awful officiating prior to, and after the formation of a new league.

For me, I was lucky, I was blessed by having BSB/Sky from the outset so could now see home games at Maine Road as well as many other games from other clubs that I’d not normally see. From this, I formed an early opinion and understood the format of how things worked, where certain clubs were allowed to do what they wanted with little fuss from the establishment, as they benefitted.

This is not a new formed opinion and like I say, it‘s up to everybody to make their own. You accept it, and I accept that, we’re just from different backgrounds.

But VAR is also intimidated by the crowd. Dragging a referee over to a screen at the side of Anfield….

Will always be wrong/bad decisions - it’s always going to happen

But more chance of a correct verdict with officials checking a monitor rather than a ref intimidated into giving a decision imo

What difference do screens actually make ? We at the stadium very rarely get anything other the "VAR check...." on the screens, we almost never get replays unless the original decision stands. Replays are mostly shown for the TV audience sadly, and even then are manipulated by the TV companies. This united/liverpool no screens argument is a bit of a red herring for me.

Var has however changed, and is becoming ever more "subjective", ie "bent", meaning they can manipulate whatever they want in the var hut, and on TV sadly.

In the last few pages we’ve talked about rules not being applied equally. That’s a rule that hasn’t been applied equally, if it’s important it should be applied. If not, don’t have it as a rule.

Also we’ve talked about atmosphere, surely the VAR screen adds to that.

Maybe ask the question differently. Why won’t 2 of the richest clubs in the world comply?

Will always be wrong/bad decisions - it’s always going to happen

But more chance of a correct verdict with officials checking a monitor rather than a ref intimidated into giving a decision imo

I agree & I like VAR I just disagree with how it’s implemented.

Video Assistant Replay is good. Referee interpretation of incidents is horrendous & we are now told we don’t know the rules. All kids were brought up understanding thd rules, it’s a simple game. The hardest was offside & that was easy but not now. Now we need a retired referee to tell retired professionals the rules of the game.

How the fuck did that happen?

No, mate, I don’t take a dim view at all and enjoy all opinions. I don’t have to stop watching football, it’s part of my life, whether watching City or playing the game. When you’re a City fan you accept what is on offer and also see what is right in front of you.

Bit of a low blow from you to state I should walk away as being a fan doesn’t work like that. The vast majority on here were there before the PL and will have seen some awful officiating prior to, and after the formation of a new league.

For me, I was lucky, I was blessed by having BSB/Sky from the outset so could now see home games at Maine Road as well as many other games from other clubs that I’d not normally see. From this, I formed an early opinion and understood the format of how things worked, where certain clubs were allowed to do what they wanted with little fuss from the establishment, as they benefitted.

This is not a new formed opinion and like I say, it‘s up to everybody to make their own. You accept it, and I accept that, we’re just from different backgrounds.
So, correct me if I'm wrong.

You watch City games and believe that we're cheated upon - if not constantly, then I guess often? - occasionally? - when important? Beats me how often you think this is ongoing... Some sort of anti-City criminal referring bias is occurring, which hasn't been brought to justice... I guess is your belief.

Does the above capture your viewpoint?

I agree & I like VAR I just disagree with how it’s implemented.

Video Assistant Replay is good. Referee interpretation of incidents is horrendous & we are now told we don’t know the rules. All kids were brought up understanding thd rules, it’s a simple game. The hardest was offside & that was easy but not now. Now we need a retired referee to tell retired professionals the rules of the game.

How the fuck did that happen?

It’s still fairly simply

But ones where there’s a massive f*ck up like Rashford one - that’s where it seems messy or when the offside is really fractional

It shows how hard it is to be a lino and why we need VAR as we know for a fact how often Lino’s flag wrong nowadays - it’s being highlighted by VAR more than ever

That's not the point. Why should the two teams who play in red have one rule for them and one rule for everybody else?

They shouldn’t. No argument. But some people on here hint at, and others outright claim that, it is somehow giving them an unfair advantage. Which I don’t see how it possibly can. That was my point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.