Ref Watch

If the referee hadn’t blown, it would have stood. It might have been saved, but we don’t know that.
He might have been tackled, somebody might have blocked it, Ederson might have attempted a save, but the whistle went, well before he shot at an undefended goal, it's not a disallowed goal.

The lino made an error yes, but the referee blew his whistle way before coutinho's shota, and all our players stopped including Ederson. Mahrez was about to "tackle" and stopped, the other defenders stopped, Ederson waved his hand at the shot. There's no guarantee they would have scored if the whistle hadn't gone, and VAR couldn't get involved, all on the lino waving his flag, and I even have some sympathy there as he had "gone" into an offside position, and then come back from it.

It's not tough on villa, as the media narative would like people to believe, it was a poor flag from the lino, but that is only a small part of the story.
I was with you until ”all on the Lino” part.

Cancelo’s goal at WBA stood when the lineslady(?) put her flag up, but the ref didn’t whistle.

Players play to the whistle, not the flag.

Where a player goes after the pass is made is totally irrelevant, so having sympathy is moot.

Offside is defined from when a pass is made, not where players end up after it.

Defender was stepping up. If you pause the clip just after the ball was released, this is maybe what the linesman saw.

Yes he should have kept his flag down and let var or the defenders/keeper do their jobs - no one knows what would have happened if the whistle hadn't gone.
81cc36cb42d622481134ec8f68b5d2e1.jpg
That's how I saw it too, coming back from an offside position. Anyway it wasn't a goal as the whistle blew before the shot

If the referee hadn't blown City player's would not have stopped and yes we don't now , but there wasn't a goal scored the fact is the referee did stop the game so you can't score
It’s obviously conjecture. Given how little faith our fans seem to have in Ederson, it was almost certain to be a goal. ;-)

I was with you until ”all on the Lino” part.

Cancelo’s goal at WBA stood when the lineslady(?) put her flag up, but the ref didn’t whistle.
Not this season though, they've been given different instructions on offside this season, the lino's have been told to flag rather than wait for 5 minutes, he got it wrong, but as there is a signal for a flag to the referee, he responded to it, as they have been told to do, so he blew the whistle, and everyone stopped, even coutinho heard the whistle but did the old trick of shooting, but it didn't matter, as soon as the whistle went, the game stops.

I get it's a poor decision from the lino, but the referee had reacted, so it's not a disallowed goal.

Here’s the full clip. There is no other touch. The linesman certainly won’t have known if there was another touch.

He made a mistake. The referee then made a second mistake and we got lucky that VAR could not get involved as it would have been a goal. (Should Ederson not have saved it, of course)

Coutinho scores with about 1 in every 50 shots from outside the box. Ederson may have saved it, but it's more likely it would be blocked, or he would have been put under enough pressure to miss. Even he knows the whistle has gone as he doesn't even begin to celebrate - good players can hit the target in training all the time with no pressure.

There are four players directly between him and the goal when the whistle blows - there's a very small chance he'd have got clear of them all, but it's hugely unlikely. Look at how early Cancelo stops - he's something like 10 yards away from Coutinho by the time he shoots.

It was a mistake from the assistant, but the ref whistled in a situation with maybe a tiny chance of a goal.

Not this season though, they've been given different instructions on offside this season, the lino's have been told to flag rather than wait for 5 minutes, he got it wrong, but as there is a signal for a flag to the referee, he responded to it, as they have been told to do, so he blew the whistle, and everyone stopped, even coutinho heard the whistle but did the old trick of shooting, but it didn't matter, as soon as the whistle went, the game stops.

I get it's a poor decision from the lino, but the referee had reacted, so it's not a disallowed goal.
They haven’t. They’ve been told to flag when they know the attacker is offside.

There have been loads of “why don’t they just flag earlier” incidents already this season.

This bloke jumped the gun. Whether it’s saved our bacon or not is up for debate as we’d “stopped”.

It’s obviously conjecture. Given how little faith our fans seem to have in Ederson, it was almost certain to be a goal. ;-)
You are the senior public advocate for Iblis, Belial, Apollyon, & Mammon LLP and I claim my £100,000*

* Due to inflation

Coutinho scores with about 1 in every 50 shots from outside the box. Ederson may have saved it, but it's more likely it would be blocked, or he would have been put under enough pressure to miss. Even he knows the whistle has gone as he doesn't even begin to celebrate - good players can hit the target in training all the time with no pressure.

There are four players directly between him and the goal when the whistle blows - there's a very small chance he'd have got clear of them all, but it's hugely unlikely.

It was a mistake from the assistant, but the ref whistled in a situation with maybe a tiny chance of a goal.
Lots of words.

He scored from his shot. Whether he would have or not before the whistle will never be known.

You are the senior public advocate for Iblis, Belial, Apollyon, & Mammon LLP and I claim my £100,000*

* Due to inflation
On the one hand, we have people slating Ederson for saving nowt and others saying the “disallowed goal” would never have happened as Ederson would have saved it anyway.

Football teaches more mental gymnastics than any other sport!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.