Referees’ Performances 2018/19

You’re spot on with most of it, unlike many I can be less biased when it comes to city. I don’t for one second think we are hard done by and other teams get every decision, like I said it’s all on the shockingly poor standard of our refereeing. With awarding them it should be 100% on every decision not just pens, some you see given on the half way line should be the same as in the box. There’s no laws that that if a challenge is in the box it has to be stronger/harder to result in a pen. It’s like when you hear the term “soft pen” there’s no such thing a foul is a foul no matter where the position on the pitch is.

I do agree but it does seem to be a sort of unwriiten rule in football. I reckon if you went to Serie A, La liga Bundesliga there would be a disparity between the threahold of a foul given inside and outside the box.

I've argued for years that penalties should be abolished in football. A foul in the area should just result in a direct free kick even if it's just yards from the goal line. It would provide fantastic entertainment for the ensuing free kick whilst also taking pressure off referees in making the wrong decision or being duped by some Salah type.

We would also need to safeguard blatant cheating and denial of an obvious goal such as the Suarez save in the World Cup v Ghana. In this instance the referee could simply award a penalty goal just like a penalty try is awarded in rugby.

Problem solved forever, cheating reduced, less pressure for referees and goals given when goals were denied. What's not to like?

As a level 4 ref I cannot understand why there is no relegation from the PL for refs. At every level up to PL there is a promotion & demotion system. Why do the top 3 from the football league not get & bottom 3 from PL relegated. What is the point of the PL even assessing them as there is no reason for this at all.

Also why does the best ref not get to ref the cup final every year. The FA have a rule that you can only ref the final once. If Oliver is the best ref 5 years running so be it. It would give the others something to aim for rather than knowing it will be their turn once no matter how indifferent they are.

Been saying for ages, refereeing is a paid professional so why on earth do we not employ the best from around the world in the best league in the world? In this multi cultural world we now live in why are all our referees English? Perhaps they are less easy to manipulate?
Don't you mean that English referees are more easy to manipulate?

For a profesional, full time, paid emplyee of a top level football league, the level of errors (to be kind) and totally inconsistent decision making is incredible. Listening to Five Dead on the way home from shopping today, I heard a few minutes of the Watford v Palace match. I've not seen the incidents yet, but it appears that Zaha was booked for a foul which both the commentator and Stuart Pearce felt was a tad harsh, yet two minutes later, Janmat escaped with just a foul being given on a Palace player, which both agreed was a far worse tackle. Perhaps someone who did see the match can enlighten me.

The standard is dropping by the week/month/season, yet none in the refereeing hierarchy are held accountable for their actions.

Something has to change. VAR certainly, but with full transparency, in that all officials are "miked" up, the replays shown on the big screens so that all can have the same view that the SKy/BT watcher can see. Only then will threads like this cease to exist - unless, of course, the decision is against us!

I've argued for years that penalties should be abolished in football. A foul in the area should just result in a direct free kick even if it's just yards from the goal line. It would provide fantastic entertainment for the ensuing free kick whilst also taking pressure off referees in making the wrong decision or being duped by some Salah type.

We would also need to safeguard blatant cheating and denial of an obvious goal such as the Suarez save in the World Cup v Ghana. In this instance the referee could simply award a penalty goal just like a penalty try is awarded in rugby.

Problem solved forever, cheating reduced, less pressure for referees and goals given when goals were denied. What's not to like?

Its radical pal and its certainly thinking out of the box (pardon the pun) but would the ref still not have to make the decision whether to award a direct free kick, so still making a decision? To me the only thing it might achieve would be a less draconian punishment for the offending side

The problem with referees is that they are a vital aspect of the game but no one wants to help them.

Managers put pressure on them and publically criticise their performances, players try to deceive them and talk to them like shit, fans don’t care about the correct decision as long as it benefits their team. The pundits/media make excuses for players and exaggerate decisions and fouls to create controversy. Also, powers in the game have the technology available to help the referees but choose not to implement it.

There are occasions where referees don’t help themselves. Two incidents with Anthony Taylor spring to mind. The one against Wigan where he pulled out the yellow card for Delph and then changed it to a red after the Wigan players protested, and the decision against Chelsea where he went to blow for a foul against Luiz and waved play on. Both of those incidents could have been avoided if they implemented VAR.

VAR could be a very simple concept to introduce. Only allow it for penalty’s, red card, offside/handball goals and also review player behaviour. But ensure that match-going fans can also see the VAR replays on the big screens. The transparency in decisions would help the fans, players and the referees.

However, above all we need to see consistency. None of this at the referee’s discretion bollocks. This week alone we’ve seen Aguero and Salah go down in the box in similar circumstances yet seen Liverpool gain a goal and City denied a penalty. If both of those decisions were reviewed and the same judgements were made, there would then be accountability placed on the refs and sanctions.

As it stands though, referees have far too big an influence in the game and as long as the powers at be refuse to help them, you have to question their motives.

No worries pal, I do not mind your swear words and name calling its always good form for getting likes of the peanut gallery.

No I do not understand your point at all. In your original post you stated the ‘handball’ and the Silva pen went against us, highlighting two bad decisions and how in your words ‘were owed two’.

Now you are stating you have not included Mendy because you believe the ref did not see it. Do you think the ref saw the handball? If not why are you applying different standards to assess these swings and roundabouts?

Wrong again pal.

The linesman saw it with a completely uninterrupted view. The TV replays demonstrated this beyond any sort of doubt. The ref and his assistants work as a team, they aren’t independent from each other. They were in communication about two matters - potential offside and potential handball. Wolves were given the benefit of the doubt on both by the referee, acting in conjunction with his assistant. ( BTW, If they weren’t in communication that’s an even bigger failure than if they were just bent.)

Be that as it may, for future reference, the test it seems to me is this: where the referee (or his assistant) has had to make a game changing decision, the times we get a game changing decision in our favour should broadly equate to the times we don’t over the course of the season.

Do you agree that is a fair summation of the issue? Let’s see, if so, how the season pans out. If there is nothing untoward going on, you should have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.