Refugee crisis

Sorry, in the interest of even handedness, can you give me the address where I can drop off some make up supplies to your niece? Been really worried about her since your post.
Ah a funny fucker ay, the point with my Niece was the predicament a lot of young people are finding themselves in having to take any shit job or enrol on any crap course even theatrical makeup, but that has gone way over your head hasn't it Mr Smug sat there with your well paid safe job

Why should this be a debate about helping one or the other? The plight of these people fleeing Syria is truly harrowing and a picture of dead kid just pulls on the heartstrings but this is probably happening every day to hundreds of kids. Could we as a country do more? I'm fucking sure we could and it sickens me to think we aren't.

Should we be looking at our own country? Yes absolutely and i totally get that. However, to just take an attitude of fuck them, let someone else help them is not right for me and doesn't sit well with me. Its not just abut saying let them into our country, its about developing policies, process, humanitarian aid that helps these people short term and provides them with safer ways of getting away from murder and persecution in Syria and also long term futures wherever that may be. I don't know the long term answers, but i do know that these people desperately need help and we are in a position to give it them.

And before someone says why don't you open up your house and let them in, it isn't about one or two people helping. This is about helping tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people.

So, the countless other times when we have helped refugees it has resulted in them living in peoples gardens? Why is that your only viable option?
Options isn't my responsibility it's yours

So....where do they go? Who pays? Who looks after them?

listen pal I'm not taking the piss I'm deadly serious

OK, well as people on the "for" side of the debate keep explaining, there is a belief that we DO have the money and resource to give both UK citizens AND refugees from abroad a fairer deal. As previously mentioned, the richest have doubled their wealth in the uk since the recession began, we're continuing to facilitate tax avoidance on a huge scale and we've cut corporation and inheritance tax. Meanwhile less than 10% of the entire country is actually even built on. These are the areas where we're saying money and space can be found to take A SHARE of the refugees. Not all of them, but certainly more than the 261 we've taken from Syria since last May.

OK, well as people on the "for" side of the debate keep explaining, there is a belief that we DO have the money and resource to give both UK citizens AND refugees from abroad a fairer deal. As previously mentioned, the richest have doubled their wealth in the uk since the recession began, we're continuing to facilitate tax avoidance on a huge scale and we've cut corporation and inheritance tax. Meanwhile less than 10% of the entire country is actually even built on. These are the areas where we're saying money and space can be found to take A SHARE of the refugees. Not all of them, but certainly more than the 261 we've taken from Syria since last May.
Yes yes ,,,but where do they live NOW.....the rest of your post isn't happening any time soon.

Ah a funny fucker ay, the point with my Niece was the predicament a lot of young people are finding themselves in having to take any shit job or enrol on any crap course even theatrical makeup, but that has gone way over your head hasn't it Mr Smug sat there with your well paid safe job

For the record, I earn below average wage (though would gladly pay more in tax if required to give younger people in this country more opportunities.) However, we're allowing the richest in this country to rob us all blind and if we stopped doing that, we could do a lot more to help those who need both at home and abroad.

Why should this be a debate about helping one or the other? The plight of these people fleeing Syria is truly harrowing and a picture of dead kid just pulls on the heartstrings but this is probably happening every day to hundreds of kids. Could we as a country do more? I'm fucking sure we could and it sickens me to think we aren't.

Should we be looking at our own country? Yes absolutely and i totally get that. However, to just take an attitude of fuck them, let someone else help them is not right for me and doesn't sit well with me. Its not just abut saying let them into our country, its about developing policies, process, humanitarian aid that helps these people short term and provides them with safer ways of getting away from murder and persecution in Syria and also long term futures wherever that may be. I don't know the long term answers, but i do know that these people desperately need help and we are in a position to give it them.

And before someone says why don't you open up your house and let them in, it isn't about one or two people helping. This is about helping tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people.

Good post. There are some smug macho bullshit sentences being thrown around but this is how most people feel I'd hope.

Yes yes ,,,but where do they live NOW.....the rest of your post isn't happening any time soon.

there are over one million homes lying empty in Britain.

I'm going to leave it there now. I think our views are essentially too different on this. We'll keep throwing questions at each other and providing answers but i doubt we'll get anywhere.

For the record, I earn below average wage (though would gladly pay more in tax if required to give younger people in this country more opportunities.) However, we're allowing the richest in this country to rob us all blind and if we stopped doing that, we could do a lot more to help those who need both at home and abroad.
agree but that's a long term issue..........this is happening now. These people need help...........if they are genuine refugees we have a responsibility but I just don't see how with what is happening on the ground in this country right now.

Doctors and nurses teachers etc etc...all under stress and pressure on a huge scale. No money in council coffers. Housing crisis.......

No one is addressing this for these poor people or the poor of this country.

Stating there are one million empty homes in the Uk doesn't really help does it. Why are they empty? Are they affordable? How will refugees pay the rent......

Concrete solutions not ifs and buts......It's not easy is it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.