Religion, mammoths and dinosaurs,

Once saw a TV programme where a Christian had it put to her that dinosaurs etc etc were all absolutely proven ergo the bible story was bollocks. Obviously not easily browbeaten she defended her belief and when the fact was put that its proven by finding dinosaur bones that they existed and died out way before the garden of eden story took place " so how do you explain that" the answer was the devil put them there to fool us.

At that point you realise there is no arguing with those people - which is I suppose what faith in something is about

bluethrunthru said:
Once saw a TV programme where a Christian had it put to her that dinosaurs etc etc were all absolutely proven ergo the bible story was bollocks. Obviously not easily browbeaten she defended her belief and when the fact was put that its proven by finding dinosaur bones that they existed and died out way before the garden of eden story took place " so how do you explain that" the answer was the devil put them there to fool us.

At that point you realise there is no arguing with those people - which is I suppose what faith in something is about

Created earth the universe in 7 days, but his days were hundreds of millions of years long is the counter argument.

Anyway the Japanese are close to cloning a mammoth and I am on the waiting list for a herd.

bluethrunthru said:

I think this is an example of somebody who believe that faith possesses concrete answers to absolutely everything, which somewhat misses the point. By definition the Christian faith is belief in a God who cannot be fully comprehended. Take this topic for example. The fact is there is zero mention or allusion in scripture to dinosaurs or mammoths. There is no point speculating about neat solutions; they are groundless and only serve to perpetuate the view that Christians are irrelevant (which is precisely what they are if they believe they can effectively demonstrate the gospel by convincing people that dinosaurs are a trick from the devil).

Bigga said:
Skashion said:
You do know the Earth isn't a circle don't you?

I was using the quote to underline the understanding of it's spherical basis in BC times.
Sorry but do you think the theory of heliocentricity relates to the shape of the Earth?

SWP's back said:
Bigga said:
Skashion said:
You do know the Earth isn't a circle don't you?

I was using the quote to underline the understanding of it's spherical basis in BC times.
Sorry but do you think the theory of heliocentricity relates to the shape of the Earth?

I can answer that in many ways, but let's see what mean when you better define your question...

I'm a bit late to this thread but I will say:
Spherical earth theory came from the greeks and was attributed to Pythagorus like many early Greek discoveries. 6th century BCE but it didn't really take off straight away. Herodotus in the Histories which was written in about 420 BCE quotes a story of Phoenician sailors who claimed to have sailed around Syria(Africa) and claimed the sun shone from the north. This was contrary to the world map in use at the time which still had the world as a flat disc with the Med in its centre.
However the greeks did go on to calculate reasonably accurately the circumference of the spherical earth about 200 BCE.

All of this is long before any other cultures. The idea spread across the near east to India and eventually China but it came from the Greeks. And it came about the same time as the Jesuit scholars were writing the old testament. The Jesuits had no idea at the time that the earth was a sphere.

The idea the science is born or nurtured by religion is not substantiated at all. About the only time that Religion takes an interest in science is when it is threatened by it. For example, when Darwin first published there was a sudden rush to try and find Troy. Because somehow discovering a place from Mythical times would help substantiate other myths i.e. creation. Of course even though Troy was found it didn't detract from the fact that the Abrahamic creation myth was as false as the Egyptian, Greek, Babylonian and all other creation myths. (none of which include dinosaurs or mammoths although some had dragons).

Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether. Darwin himself is one example and of course uncle Albert said "God does not play dice".

Gelsons Dad said:
Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether.

Huge generalisation, GD, based on...??

I don't doubt that there are many things that cause people/ scientists to lose faith when they see things happen to others. But, by the same token there are people that are more swayed to the open question of a Higher Power by witnessing 'things' or finding no comfort in scientific 'answers' when there are none; the 'Big Bang' being the most 'unanswered' question regardless of the current theories.

There are around 18% of scientists, in the US, that still have a Faith. Amazing when only 20% of that nation attends church. If we multiplied that across the world, that will hold comfortably to about 20%-25%.

That's not too bad for a modern average, these days.

Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether.

Huge generalisation, GD, based on...??

I don't doubt that there are many things that cause people/ scientists to lose faith when they see things happen to others. But, by the same token there are people that are more swayed to the open question of a Higher Power by witnessing 'things' or finding no comfort in scientific 'answers' when there are none; the 'Big Bang' being the most 'unanswered' question regardless of the current theories.

There are around 18% of scientists, in the US, that still have a Faith. Amazing when only 20% of that nation attends church. If we multiplied that across the world, that will hold comfortably to about 20%-25%.

That's not too bad for a modern average, these days.

I gave 2 examples, others include Galileo and Kepler. I don't feel the need to compile a definitive list. It would be easier to compile a list of Religious leaders who fought to condemn anyone who dare question the bible. Kalvin, Martin Luther, Philip Melanchthon and any number of Popes spring to mind.

without wishing to jump into the middle of your argument but

a number of scientists over the years have 'professed' their religious beliefs in the full knowledge that without doing so would lead to persecution (ie Galileo) or injustice (Einstein) or a lack of funding (as most 'great companies' are owned by the God fearing right)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.