Religion, mammoths and dinosaurs,

Gelsons Dad said:
Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether.

Huge generalisation, GD, based on...??

I don't doubt that there are many things that cause people/ scientists to lose faith when they see things happen to others. But, by the same token there are people that are more swayed to the open question of a Higher Power by witnessing 'things' or finding no comfort in scientific 'answers' when there are none; the 'Big Bang' being the most 'unanswered' question regardless of the current theories.

There are around 18% of scientists, in the US, that still have a Faith. Amazing when only 20% of that nation attends church. If we multiplied that across the world, that will hold comfortably to about 20%-25%.

That's not too bad for a modern average, these days.

I gave 2 examples, others include Galileo and Kepler. I don't feel the need to compile a definitive list. It would be easier to compile a list of Religious leaders who fought to condemn anyone who dare question the bible. Kalvin, Martin Luther, Philip Melanchthon and any number of Popes spring to mind.

What do you mean by "colour their work"? I'm interested in you giving the example of a 'great scientist' that this happened to.

Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether.

I don't doubt that there are many things that cause people/ scientists to lose faith when they see things happen to others. But, by the same token there are people that are more swayed to the open question of a Higher Power by witnessing 'things' or finding no comfort in scientific 'answers' when there are none; the 'Big Bang' being the most 'unanswered' question regardless of the current theories.

There are around 18% of scientists, in the US, that still have a Faith. Amazing when only 20% of that nation attends church. If we multiplied that across the world, that will hold comfortably to about 20%-25%.

I like to consider myself pretty educated on physics and in particularly the Big Bang model and literally have no idea what this means.

Why is the Big Bang "the most unanswered question regardless of current theories"?

And by "theories", I presume you mean "evidentially based science"?

Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:

If 18% of scientists have religious faith then 82% don't .
If 18% of scientists go to church in a nation where 20 % of the population attend , then the attendance of scientists is below the national average.
Not really amazing.

Damocles said:
Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:

I like to consider myself pretty educated on physics and in particularly the Big Bang model and literally have no idea what this means.

Why is the Big Bang "the most unanswered question regardless of current theories"?

Well, firstly, I'm sure you'll tell me how the 'Big Bang' is tested beyond refute and then we'll move on.

Bodicoteblue said:
Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:

If 18% of scientists have religious faith then 82% don't .
If 18% of scientists go to church in a nation where 20 % of the population attend , then the attendance of scientists is below the national average.
Not really amazing.
It is considering that church attendance has fallen in accordance to a more self serving society.
It falls right in line.

Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Bigga said:

I gave 2 examples, others include Galileo and Kepler. I don't feel the need to compile a definitive list. It would be easier to compile a list of Religious leaders who fought to condemn anyone who dare question the bible. Kalvin, Martin Luther, Philip Melanchthon and any number of Popes spring to mind.

What do you mean by "colour their work"? I'm interested in you giving the example of a 'great scientist' that this happened to.

Whilst many great scientist were/are also religious this has been known to colour their work or cause them to lose their faith altogether. Darwin himself is one example and of course uncle Albert said "God does not play dice".

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/multimedia/2013/mar/04/why-did-einstein-say-god-doesnt-play-dice

Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:

Lol! Right, it must be me...

Anyway, breaking it down, are you now discussing whether things are predetermined or of a randomness...?

Is this the crux of Einstein's quote?

Einstein believed in Spinoza's Nature/God where everything is part of one deterministic whole. This belief led him to waste many years through his steadfast belief that quantum theory required randomness and that could not exist in his belief system. Hence it coloured his work in that field.

Gelsons Dad said:
Bigga said:
Gelsons Dad said:

Lol! Right, it must be me...

Anyway, breaking it down, are you now discussing whether things are predetermined or of a randomness...?

Is this the crux of Einstein's quote?

Einstein believed in Spinoza's Nature/God where everything is part of one deterministic whole. This belief led him to waste many years through his steadfast belief that quantum theory required randomness and that could not exist in his belief system. Hence it coloured his work in that field.

Haven't we had a discussion about predetermined order before now, from a personal perspective...?

So, from that point of view, how could one dismiss Einstein's thoughts on that matter??

Bigga said:
Damocles said:
Bigga said:

Well, firstly, I'm sure you'll tell me how the 'Big Bang' is tested beyond refute and then we'll move on.

Again, I don't even know what this means.

Let me bring you an analogy.

You've just asked me how the idea of 1+1=2 is tested beyond refute.

What part of the Big Bang model specifically do you have an issue with?

It's a big thing compromising of many different parts. I can't show you specific evidence unless you tell me specifically what part of it you disagree with

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.