Religion

Hmmm!
Interesting but I think I prefer Dave Allen.
Haha indeed. Am more curious as to the idea of whether there may be a difference in approaching religion (life, education etc?)with a foundation in breath/sound or with fundamentals of intellectual understanding, than the technical stuff he wrote.And, given that breath is fairly universal, and not limited to religion, maybe it can inspire all areas of life even more. And if that includes Dave Allen like sense of humour, then great. World would be a happier place I reckon.

I'd never criticise anyone for choosing to believe in some all seeing, omnipresent higher being. That's their choice. Just don't try to force your beliefs on me.
This is the same for me. Being married to a CofE vicar, I can see the good and bad things that the church provides.

I’m a don’t care agnostic but am grateful that “the Lord“ gives us a house and pays our council tax.

My wife and I have a pact where we don’t try to instil our beliefs on each other.

This is the same for me. Being married to a CofE vicar, I can see the good and bad things that the church provides.

I’m a don’t care agnostic but am grateful that “the Lord“ gives us a house and pays our council tax.

My wife and I have a pact where we don’t try to instil our beliefs on each other.
Bloody hell, that use a good deal. You get a house and council tax paid but only work one day a week. Oh and Christmas eve.

I'd never criticise anyone for choosing to believe in some all seeing, omnipresent higher being. That's their choice. Just don't try to force your beliefs on me.
I agree. To a degree. haha. Thing is...we've had a few thousand years of having this belief FORCED onto us as a whole. As children, we were told that if we didn't believe and obey the bible, we'd suffer in Hell for eternity. That's basically child abuse. Mental blackmail.
Different times now though ...in this country at least. They still do all that shit in the US, though.

The Arab slave trade in Africa was happening during Mohammed’s time. Mohammed clearly sold and had slaves. So clearly he was a slave trader. Not sure there is much more to say, if you can’t understand the issue with that, then yes, no point in having this debate. I am not the one to turn a blind eye on such evil morals and a slippery road from being so called moderate and extreme Muslim. It’s no difference from trying to convince a neo nazi that hitler is evil.

No, the Arabs at the time of Muhammad(saw) were not traveling to mainland Africa to trade slaves at the time. It's easy to say today slavery is evil, immoral etc. , yet when I asked you "Are you more moral than Jesus(as), Paul, Aristotle, Plato etc.. ", you evaded the question. Perhaps you already know answering this question from a historical perspective is different. Even if you answer 'Yes', I'm sure if you lived in their times, your views (or mine) on slavery wouldn't be the same as it is today.

I agree. To a degree. haha. Thing is...we've had a few thousand years of having this belief FORCED onto us as a whole. As children, we were told that if we didn't believe and obey the bible, we'd suffer in Hell for eternity. That's basically child abuse. Mental blackmail.
Different times now though ...in this country at least. They still do all that shit in the US, though.
I grew up in a non-religious family. Didn’t go to a religious school - yes , there was a daily assembly with maybe a hymn sung and a weekly re class but that seems far outweighed by classes in science, maths, languages, even pe/sport. In terms of social groups, I remember one or two families that would maybe call themselves christian - but it hardly ever - if at all - came up in conversations, let alone feeling like it was something that was being forced on me. So, in that sense, it feels like I had a very different experience from you. And your experience doesn’t sound so great, and is a lot different from how I would understand the essence of the message of ‘God.’ But I wouldn’t want to force that idea on you. And , even if I did try to force it and you let me do so, wouldn‘t life be worse for both you and I? Less inspiring? Makes no sense, for me. But sharing/exploring ‘the divine’ with those that wish to…yeah, there can be space for that too, in my books at least.

Quite right too, evensong or City on the tele, no contest let them purge their own sins.
Evensong is quite rare these days, so she’s generally done by 2pm.

7:30 start, mind.

What most people don’t realise is that their role as priest in charge at a church normally comes with having to be a school governor.

My wife is a governor at 3 schools. That eats up time.

I grew up in a non-religious family. Didn’t go to a religious school - yes , there was a daily assembly with maybe a hymn sung and a weekly re class but that seems far outweighed by classes in science, maths, languages, even pe/sport. In terms of social groups, I remember one or two families that would maybe call themselves christian - but it hardly ever - if at all - came up in conversations, let alone feeling like it was something that was being forced on me. So, in that sense, it feels like I had a very different experience from you. And your experience doesn’t sound so great, and is a lot different from how I would understand the essence of the message of ‘God.’ But I wouldn’t want to force that idea on you. And , even if I did try to force it and you let me do so, wouldn‘t life be worse for both you and I? Less inspiring? Makes no sense, for me. But sharing/exploring ‘the divine’ with those that wish to…yeah, there can be space for that too, in my books at least.
Christianity has been forced on us for a long time...even in my life. My parents sent me to church and sunday school. As I say, not so much today, but even as recent as the 70s and 80s children were made to believe. In fact...still today with kids being sent to Catholic schools. I went to a normal primary school...they made us sing hymns, pray and learn bible stories as if it was important.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.