Religion

Have you read the article? I’m guessing not as you don’t come across as someone really wanting evidence.
not that particular article no, but ive come across and read multitudes of this, that and the other, my background is as catholic as it comes so i guess i am well placed to know a thing or two about religion and things spiritual.

my very scepticism i would of thought makes me the ultimate in wanting evidence

you've have had the floor countless times mate but and fair play to you, you keep the psychobabble at a very high level.
that's not a dig its a compliment

Ive never had much interest in religion, however aspects of Buddhism interest me a lot....most of which have stemmed from mental health study etc...mindfulness for example.

If you a interested, but secular minded, i cannot recommend this enough https://secularbuddhism.com/ a podcast series that discusses Buddhist philosophy

There are dozens of episodes but you should listen to the first 5 episodes to begin with...it gives a good overview of Buddhist thinking, you can then listen to any other episode at any time.

TBH it has helped me in some shitty times.

The dharma (teachings of Buddha) are not something to believe in, they are something to do...dont use them to be a better Buddhist, use them to be a better "whatever you already are".

Ive never had much interest in religion, however aspects of Buddhism interest me a lot....most of which have stemmed from mental health study etc...mindfulness for example.

If you a interested, but secular minded, i cannot recommend this enough https://secularbuddhism.com/ a podcast series that discusses Buddhist philosophy

There are dozens of episodes but you should listen to the first 5 episodes to begin with...it gives a good overview of Buddhist thinking, you can then listen to any other episode at any time.

TBH it has helped me in some shitty times.

The dharma (teachings of Buddha) are not something to believe in, they are something to do...dont use them to be a better Buddhist, use them to be a better "whatever you already are".

This is the religion that allows you to rape and murder Rhohinga Muslims so it is probably for the best that you are only picking out the best bits.

not that particular article no, but ive come across and read multitudes of this, that and the other, my background is as catholic as it comes so i guess i am well placed to know a thing or two about religion and things spiritual.

you've have had the floor countless times mate but and fair play to you, you keep the psychobabble at a very high level.
There is spirituality and religion beyond the catholic religion?

Anyhow, here’s a few thoughts from/about the guy that wrote a few words on evolution. Not necessarily my opinion but interesting nonetheless?

from https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/was-charles-darwin-an-atheist
”Dr. Darwin has been frequently called an atheist, whereas in every one of his works distinct expressions may be found showing that he fully believed in God as the Creator of the universe. For instance, in the 'Temple of Nature,' published posthumously, he writes: "Perhaps all the productions of nature are in their progress to greater perfection! an idea countenanced by modern discoveries and deductions concerning the progressive formation of the solid parts of the terraqueous globe, and consonant to the dignity of the creator of all things." He concludes one chapter in 'Zoonomia' with the words of the Psalmist: "The heavens declare the Glory of God, and the firmament sheweth his handiwork."”“

”Then in 1871 Darwin addressed the subject of religion in the Descent of Man:

Belief in God—Religion.—There is no evidence that man was aboriginally endowed with the ennobling belief in the existence of an Omnipotent God. On the contrary there is ample evidence, derived not from hasty travellers, but from men who have long resided with savages, that numerous races have existed and still exist, who have no idea of one or more gods, and who have no words in their languages to express such an idea. The question is of course wholly distinct from that higher one, whether there exists a Creator and Ruler of the universe; and this has been answered in the affirmative by the highest intellects that have ever lived.”

‘answered in the affirmative by the highest intellects that have ever lived’ that is quite some assertion, whether one agrees with it or not.

5 nobel prize winners into psychobabble. The kind of folk notorious for having no interest in evidence ;)

“I go into the Upanishads to ask questions” ~ Niels Bohr (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1885 - 1962)

“Quantum theory will not look ridiculous to people who have read Vedanta” ~ Werner Heisenberg (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1901 - 1976)

“The unity and continuity of Vedanta are reflected in the unity and continuity of wave mechanics” ~ Erwin Schrödinger (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1887 – 1961

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe - a spirit vastly superior to that of man” ~ Albert Einstein (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1879 – 1955)

“It was not by accident that the greatest thinkers of all ages were deeply religious souls” ~ Max Planck (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1858 – 1947)

Edit : a wiki link to religion and the well known psycobabblist Isaac Newton suggests he might have occasionally succumbed to that rational science stuff…

Last edited:
This is the religion that allows you to rape and murder Rhohinga Muslims so it is probably for the best that you are only picking out the best bits.
No it isn’t. This is the religion like all other religions that humans might choose to hide behind to excuse inhuman acts. Nowhere in the teachings of Buddhism will you find anything that encourages, condones or supports rape and murder.

5 nobel prize winners into psychobabble. The kind of folk notorious for having no interest in evidence ;)

“I go into the Upanishads to ask questions” ~ Niels Bohr (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1885 - 1962)

“Quantum theory will not look ridiculous to people who have read Vedanta” ~ Werner Heisenberg (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1901 - 1976)

“The unity and continuity of Vedanta are reflected in the unity and continuity of wave mechanics” ~ Erwin Schrödinger (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1887 – 1961

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe - a spirit vastly superior to that of man” ~ Albert Einstein (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1879 – 1955)

“It was not by accident that the greatest thinkers of all ages were deeply religious souls” ~ Max Planck (physicist, Nobel Prize winner, 1858 – 1947)

Edit : a wiki link to religion and the well known psycobabblist Isaac Newton suggests he might have occasionally succumbed to that rational science stuff…
never said any of those spoke psychobabble art ;-)

There is spirituality and religion beyond the catholic religion?

Anyhow, here’s a few thoughts from/about the guy that wrote a few words on evolution. Not necessarily my opinion but interesting nonetheless?

from https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/was-charles-darwin-an-atheist
”Dr. Darwin has been frequently called an atheist, whereas in every one of his works distinct expressions may be found showing that he fully believed in God as the Creator of the universe. For instance, in the 'Temple of Nature,' published posthumously, he writes: "Perhaps all the productions of nature are in their progress to greater perfection! an idea countenanced by modern discoveries and deductions concerning the progressive formation of the solid parts of the terraqueous globe, and consonant to the dignity of the creator of all things." He concludes one chapter in 'Zoonomia' with the words of the Psalmist: "The heavens declare the Glory of God, and the firmament sheweth his handiwork."”“

”Then in 1871 Darwin addressed the subject of religion in the Descent of Man:

Belief in God—Religion.—There is no evidence that man was aboriginally endowed with the ennobling belief in the existence of an Omnipotent God. On the contrary there is ample evidence, derived not from hasty travellers, but from men who have long resided with savages, that numerous races have existed and still exist, who have no idea of one or more gods, and who have no words in their languages to express such an idea. The question is of course wholly distinct from that higher one, whether there exists a Creator and Ruler of the universe; and this has been answered in the affirmative by the highest intellects that have ever lived.”

‘answered in the affirmative by the highest intellects that have ever lived’ that is quite some assertion, whether one agrees with it or not.
would love to know what these assertions are and from whom darwin is referring to

never said any of those spoke psychobabble art ;-)
Lol fair play :) Would it make any sense to you to suggest that there can be a difference between someone who primarily sees truth as a state of being to be experientially understood…and someone who primarily sees truth as,eg, a set of concepts to be mentally understood?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.