Religion

Excuse my ignorance, but are Judaism and Christianity not at odds with each other?
Can you be Jewish and Christian?
I understand initially there were Jews who thought Jesus was the Jewish Messiah, but now?
Are the two ideologies compatible?
Judaism talks of a Messiah and the Old Testament is gearing towards this messiah coming. Jesus and his followers claimed he was it but there was a slight but significant change in his supposed teachings, than what the Old Testament taught (the Old Testament is the Jewish Bible and both Jews and Christians still today consider it holy), in places.

The New Testament claims he is fulfilling the Old Testament and I suppose you could say adding context to the law.

The vast majority of Jews say he wasn’t the messiah (que monty python jokes) and that Christianity is a significant divergence away from Judaism, and they reject the New Testament - the Jesus bit of the Bible.

The vast majority of Christian’s believe Jesus is the prophecy of the Old Testament manifest and that he came to complete and clarify the Old Testament.

Historically, for many years, the vast majority of Christians were ethnic Jews. The Romans saw them as a Jewish sect and when Rome experienced the fire, Nero did what many European leaders have done throughout history and scapegoated a Jewish minority… Christians.

So they are deeply linked but it depends which standing point you’re coming from.

I understand, you’re right
Lol.

han-solo.gif

This is consistent with what was implied by "main branch" even if the bit about BY was unintentional bollocks.

Polygamy (called plural marriage by Latter-day Saints in the 19th century or the Principle by modern fundamentalist practitioners of polygamy) was practiced by leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) for more than half of the 19th century,[1] and practiced publicly from 1852 to 1890 by between 20 and 30 percent of Latter-day Saint families.[2][3] Today, various denominations of fundamentalist Mormonism continue to practice polygamy.[4]

I’ve been living behind the Zion Curtain for over thirty years, I know plenty about that crazy church, I can smell a Mo’ a mile off :)

Didn't know this sort of stuff existed.

Or that pouring a drink from a bottle or tap into a glass was such a complex process that you need to watch a bartender do it to work out how it is done.

ap_17182609777894-52efcaf1cbc580a4d5802e9d9524d29f427da305.jpg

Judaism talks of a Messiah and the Old Testament is gearing towards this messiah coming. Jesus and his followers claimed he was it but there was a slight but significant change in his supposed teachings, than what the Old Testament taught (the Old Testament is the Jewish Bible and both Jews and Christians still today consider it holy), in places.

The New Testament claims he is fulfilling the Old Testament and I suppose you could say adding context to the law.

The vast majority of Jews say he wasn’t the messiah (que monty python jokes) and that Christianity is a significant divergence away from Judaism, and they reject the New Testament - the Jesus bit of the Bible.

The vast majority of Christian’s believe Jesus is the prophecy of the Old Testament manifest and that he came to complete and clarify the Old Testament.

Historically, for many years, the vast majority of Christians were ethnic Jews. The Romans saw them as a Jewish sect and when Rome experienced the fire, Nero did what many European leaders have done throughout history and scapegoated a Jewish minority… Christians.

So they are deeply linked but it depends which standing point you’re coming from.
Where did Jesus claim to be the messiah?

Where did Jesus claim to be the messiah?
Off the top of my head Matthew 11 and the below in Mark 14 are two examples:

But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

“I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Off the top of my head Matthew 11 and the below in Mark 14 are two examples:

But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

“I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Giving that the Old Testament predicted the arrival of a "messiah", I imagine there were many of these messiahs before the one story that stuck.

Giving that the Old Testament predicted the arrival of a "messiah", I imagine there were many of these messiahs before the one story that stuck.
The question was why and how does Judaism fit in with Christianity if you read the last page or two.

I’ve just told the guy why.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.