Remembering the Inflatable Banana craze / Stoke Boxing Day fancy dress party

First one we won. Paul Stewart scored a couple and I reckon we took around 10,000 to that game
The season after, where ultimately we were promoted, we lost. Gleghorn scored the opening goal, but I'm certain we took more for that game, maybe 15,000, as Stoke gave us a side and an end of the stadium

I think these things tend to get more exaggerated with time.

It was certainly a good turn out but the whole attendance was only 24,000. Pretty sure they had more than 9,000.

It was certainly a good turn out but the whole attendance was only 24,000. Pretty sure they had more than 9,000.
I remember it being a huge decision for Stoke whether to give more tickets to us as we'd far outnumber the home support
Game one, myself and my brother were sat in the stand at the side
For the second, it was a real scramble to acquire tickets for standing behind the goal and it was absolutely rammed

I was speaking to a stoke fan about this. Stoke gave us 12,000 tickets that day. Theyd not seen a following like it, specially as we were all in fancy dress

My story of the stoke game ….i was 14 at the time.

Stoke , years ago, had an owner called Tommy Degg and my dad , through a business contact, was pals with Tommys son, Stanley. Stan had no interest at all in football but would get us tickets in the directors box when city played there.

For that game we had arranged to meet stan in the forte hotel just off the M6 prior to the match for something to eat. My dad has always been a big gambler and had a bet on a race so on arrival asked the receptionist if the hotel had a tv room so he could watch the race, girl on reception said yes there is but there is a group of gentlemen already in there but as long as they dont mind , we are welcome to go in.
We walked in and the ‘gentlemen’ were the City squad !!! All watching the racing and snacking before they headed to the ground.
I was stunned into silence and stood there like a total gawp!
Paul stewart then beckoned me over and told me to sit next to him, and he chatted to me about the game, about the racing, how christmas had been. He was my total and utter favourite player at that time and im not even sure i spoke back! I was just transfixed by being sat in the company of all my heros. Mcnab, whitey, etc, listening to their banter

On to the ground and to our seats and just before KO a bloke sat next to me and my dad whispered that it was dave Sexton , who at the time was the England U21 coach. Sexton then chatted to me all game about the players he was there to watch, redmond, hinchcliffe, brightwell, moulden, white and stewart. Talked me through what he was looking for and gave me a tactical masterclass about the game, although as a 14 year old it meant very little to me.

The last bit might be confusing the 2 stoke games of the 2 seasons but in the directors lounge after mel machin was with justin fashanu, kitted out in a flamboyant full length leather and sheep skin jacket, all huggy together, and he signed not long after. At the time we thought it was john fashanu!

So there ya go. A never to be forgotten day for a 14 year old

Down in Bude Cornwall living and working for couple of year's at the time,me and my future Mrs set off in the car early doors got to Stoke bought 2 seat tickets top bit behind the goals.Long journey back after the game lost 3-1 I didn't drive at the time so I had a couple,she did a lot of miles driving for my Football back then sometimes we forget what they had to put up with.

My story of the stoke game ….i was 14 at the time.

Stoke , years ago, had an owner called Tommy Degg and my dad , through a business contact, was pals with Tommys son, Stanley. Stan had no interest at all in football but would get us tickets in the directors box when city played there.

For that game we had arranged to meet stan in the forte hotel just off the M6 prior to the match for something to eat. My dad has always been a big gambler and had a bet on a race so on arrival asked the receptionist if the hotel had a tv room so he could watch the race, girl on reception said yes there is but there is a group of gentlemen already in there but as long as they dont mind , we are welcome to go in.
We walked in and the ‘gentlemen’ were the City squad !!! All watching the racing and snacking before they headed to the ground.
I was stunned into silence and stood there like a total gawp!
Paul stewart then beckoned me over and told me to sit next to him, and he chatted to me about the game, about the racing, how christmas had been. He was my total and utter favourite player at that time and im not even sure i spoke back! I was just transfixed by being sat in the company of all my heros. Mcnab, whitey, etc, listening to their banter

On to the ground and to our seats and just before KO a bloke sat next to me and my dad whispered that it was dave Sexton , who at the time was the England U21 coach. Sexton then chatted to me all game about the players he was there to watch, redmond, hinchcliffe, brightwell, moulden, white and stewart. Talked me through what he was looking for and gave me a tactical masterclass about the game, although as a 14 year old it meant very little to me.

The last bit might be confusing the 2 stoke games of the 2 seasons but in the directors lounge after mel machin was with justin fashanu, kitted out in a flamboyant full length leather and sheep skin jacket, all huggy together, and he signed not long after. At the time we thought it was john fashanu!

So there ya go. A never to be forgotten day for a 14 year old
That’s a brilliant story.

I was speaking to a stoke fan about this. Stoke gave us 12,000 tickets that day. Theyd not seen a following like it, specially as we were all in fancy dress
Yep, 12,000 tickets. I watched the first half of Tamworth v Atherstone then jumped on the Leicester & Rugby mini-bus. They asked if I had a ticket, I said no. Got to the ground and found a cash turnstile, standing behind the goal.

Shit result but a fantastic day.

Last edited:
The blue with the showaddywaddy outfit and his bird mate with the pink hair and manly green tight calves....brilliant! Those were the days hey Dad ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.