Retiring the Number 8 shirt?

Always found the retiring of shirt a bit crass, and I am certain a certain Mr Bell would not have liked it to.

In the future another young player could come into the team and wear no8 and become the new king.

I don’t think it’s required, the naming of the stand a number of years ago cemented his legacy, and thankfully he was around to witness it and feel the love.
Besides I’d love to see the 8 shirt on Kevin’s back
And the fact that he was around for some time after must have made it clear how he was adored by the fans. He doesn't need owt else. As long as I can amble down to the ground I will occupy a seat in CBL3 with all the other FOCs, and re-run CB in my mind's eye.

And the fact that he was around for some time after must have made it clear how he was adored by the fans. He doesn't need owt else. As long as I can amble down to the ground I will occupy a seat in CBL3 with all the other FOCs, and re-run CB in my mind's eye.
I didn’t say he did need something else such as shirt retiring

i said this on the "should we retire the 21 shirt"

the number 21 should of become iconic, a shirt that is given to someone who has earnt that shirt , david silva has turned that number iconic for the work he did for Manchester City.

same should be said for the number 8, playing for Manchester City should be an honour , playing in the 21 or 8 should be the pinnacle of their city careers

next season i would like to see kev in the 8 shirt, and the 21 empty.
I quite like the informal system of the cocky young new signing who idolised the player wearing wanting it, ala Torres.

Well the Rags and the Raggy media have turned their No. 7 shirt into some sort of iconic thing then why can't we with our 8 and 21? Sod that lets make our 1 to 100 iconic!

To me, the only reason to retire a shirt number should be to honour someone who has died recently, like Marc-Vivien Foé. The number 8 is an iconic number and the idea that we'll never have a number 8 again doesn't sit well with me. I also doubt Colin would want us to strip Gundogan of his number, which does carry a lot of meaning to Ilkay as well.

I've seen suggestions that we should retire 21, 42, 5, 4 and 10 before to honour club legends. I'd much rather we give new players the chance to make history in those shirts. It's much more fun to have a string of iconic #8s than to forever commit ourselves to just a couple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.