Richard Dunne {merged}

Re: To: City Re: Richard Dunne

Oh, and I am not that comfortable with people campaigning for a bumper testimonial for a millionaire footballer.

Some might say that missing out on some cash is the reason behind Dunne feeling let down.

I suppose that depends on how you look at the subject. If you see it as part of a contract and no different than scheduled bonuses and wages, then maybe fair enough.

Or if you think that a testomnial like Quinns should be the order of the day, a show of thanks, then fair enough again.

But if people honestly think that millionaire footballers deserve fans sticking their hands in their pockets to give them another bumper payment for ten year's service, the I am inclined to disagree. Don't think many of us will get a bumper payout for ten years service in our jobs. And certainly not from the working man in the street.

just seen the interview makes me feel sxxt that he has been treated the way he has.for the way he said he wanted to fight for his place shows what a blue he is and should not have been sold.totally opposite to the player we bought for his position

Don't disagree with some of what you say, JMA.

For me there are two aspects to this.

The first is the playing-staff decision. It is abundantly clear that Hughes decided (in my opinion, at some point during last season) that Dunne was no longer good enough for the team and had to be moved on. I don't want to debate the merits of that decision, and the choice of replacement player, here, though I will say that I agree wholeheartedly that a replacement was needed. It is also abundantly clear, despite what Hughes has said on the matter in public, that he had no intention, for reasons of squad management, of letting Dunne stay on as a squad player. He wanted him out, transferred, gone. Again, the merits of that decision are there to be debated, but they are ones the manager is perfectly entitled to make - especially so when he has players like Nedum and VK as backup. Again, I agree with Hughes that if you decide to replace Dunne, it's not appropriate to keep him on. So despite the facade, Hughes pushed him out.

The second aspect is how Dunne's exit was handled by MCFC. He claims, perhaps with reason, that it was done shoddily. This depends to an extent on what his beef with the club is. Is it that he didn't get an adequate payoff? Is it that he felt they were unpleasant? Or is it the fact that he was pushed out against his will? If the first, I am not hugely sympathetic. If the second, I am, and think it's poor show. If the third, I am sympathetic to him as a man. But at the same time I can see why the club would do that. It's not healthy to keep an established pro, an ex-captain, on the payroll if you have no intention of using him; nor is it healthy to let the wage bill inflate stupidly, especially with UEFA's proposals on the horizon.

This was always going to be a traumatic departure, and there's no question Hughes has been ruthless. We'll see, on the pitch, whether he's been right.

One final point: I think there is a difference between fans slagging off Petrov (ridiculous) and fans slagging off Dunne. In the latter case, Dunne has always split opinion, and he did have a poor season, so - fairly or not - he will inevitably be slagged off. (Despite the fact that, IMO, most posts have been positive towards him.) I don't think this is an instance of the slagging-off trend you cite.

Unknown_Genius said:
Richard Dunne: Worst Professional Soccer Player Ever?

I'm tired of seeing Manchester City lose games due to Richard Dunne. Sure, this UEFA loss wasn't entirely his fault, at least he didn't score an own goal, but he hurts his club a lot more than he helps.

Why in the world would you keep him on your team, and even name him captain, when you're going out and spending big money on players like Robinho. It defeats the whole purpose. You buy a player who can help create goal scoring chances but keep a player who scores own goals and gets red cards and repeatedly fouls player unnecessarily.

Today, as Manchester City battled with Hamburg, Dunne kept fouling players when their backs were turned to goal, they weren't going anywhere, and the referee continued to warn him. He was on a yellow card and still didn't stop.

City had a ton of chances in the game, Elano cracking both the cross bar and the post with impressive free kicks. And Felipe Caicedo scored a great goal but he also missed a few sitters. The point is though, for City to become a big time club they're going to have to get rid of some of their old time players, and they'll have to start with Dick Dunne.

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccertraininginfo.blogspot.com/2009/04/richard-dunne-worst-professiona-player.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccertraininginfo.blogspot.com/ ... layer.html</a>

This. I like the way this thread is going. Its becoming another Mark Hughes is a wanker/tosser/crap manager/classless/clueless/dick/muppet/fool/idiot/twat/nob-cheese thread. This guy just can't win. If Dunne stayed and couldn't get first team football, we would all have a go at Hughes, now he's left, Hughes showed no respect to a "loyal servent", has no class, yadda yadda. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

its a shame this topic turned into another blame game as you say genius Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just to put the record right what Richard Dunne actually said when explaining that they told him they had accepted an offer, and he asked what about staying and fighting for his place, they said

Funnily enough "We need the money", he then laughed at this.

He was laughing at this as he knew it was them making it clear he had to go. He showed no bitterness and stated he want the club to succeed as the fans deserved it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5535762,00.html

Great post JMA, equally so others. This is why I like Bluemoon.

Richard Dunne is now, no longer a City player. Obvious I know, but stay with me...

Why is it right not to be respectful to players that have served this club for the greatest period of their career.

Why is it reported and verified that players now believe we are, as a club more professional then ever we were before.

I'm saddened that Dunne is no longer a City player and believes, he has been treated disrespectively. That is wrong for our club Captain. A player of quality, lack of pace put 110% commitment. I remember Mike Doyle before the league cup final saying I am 110% City.

Richard Dunne would never say anything against Manchester City specifically that would be derogatory, neithe would Joe Hart, yet this has been reported.

We are go9ing to get mis-representation by jornos deflecting the story, I hope that all it is...

unfortunately for Dunney he was at the wrong point in his career when we turned the corner.

well done for all your efforts richard,I thank you for all you've done for the club I love.

that being said I've been unable to forgive him for Hamburg.no one could stop us winning that game and I would say that tournament.except our captain on the night.unforgivable,he should have relinquished the armband there and then.

however he has been a rock at the back for several years..though I hope he scores for us once more against the villa ;-)

if he wanted to stay to fight for his place we should of let him we dont need the money would of kept the rest of them on their toes

Thursday, September 03, 2009
Dunne on City exit

"They signed the players and that was it. I wasn't given the opportunity to stay and fight for my place. That's what was annoying.

"I was told I had to go and that's the frustrating part about it.

"They told me they had accepted an offer so I said 'OK, but what if I want to stay and fight for my place?'

"They said 'it's funny, we need the money'.

Shocking, if he was happy to sit on the bench we should of kept him, we need the money ffs

Damocles said:
johnmc said:
Are you seriously suggesting that Dunne would be happy to sit on the bench?

Consider he has JUST said it on an interview on SSN, then yes.

Its easy to say when you have already signed a new contract at another club i personnaly think its great business i couldn't stand it if he scored another own goal !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.