Richard Dunne

The Fat el Hombre said:
wrongun73 said:
for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

I'm pretty confident that Mancini would have taken much more than age into account when making that decision. Given is nowhere near a top keeper in the prem - great shot stopper but far too limited.

You're right on Dunne and Given Mr Hombre.

wrongun73 said:
whitt said:
wrongun73 said:
for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

Mancini picked Hart because he's younger and so he'd get a spot in the England team, even though he thought Given was the better keeper and would want to leave?

thats basically what ive been told yeah. maybe totally wrong, just relaying what i was told by a close friend of given's.

Just what I was told...... ;-)

ellspark said:
No matter how well we do under this current set up at City, there will always remain a few regrets from how we handled the transition, and getting rid of Dunne was our biggest mistake and our biggest regret.

He was, and always will be a legend, and he didn't nothing but his best for us and that 95% of the time was magnificent and the difference, he was our driving force, our only sense of light in the dark. He dragged us out of situations that we had no business getting out of.
Ya that 5% of the time resulted in him making a stupid foul, or being unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it was only because our pathetic defense at the time were in a permanent state of sleep. You do what you gotta do, and he did his best.

He was magnificent for Ireland, always has been, as was Shay Given.
But Dunne, he lead by complete example last night, and two moments summed him up, when he broke out of the defense with the ball, ran up the pitch, lost possession, and instead of sulking, giving up and feeling sorry for himself, he put his head down, ran back and won the ball back.
And the other moment was when he was booked, which was undeserving in my opinion, because he won the ball, he did what had to be done, despite the risk, and he paid the price bouncing his face off the ground and having to get the few stitches. Got up, no big drama, and off he went again, a few seconds later making an important tackle.

McGrath's tweet was one of the biggest accolades he could have received and it wasn't one big exaggerated.

Dunne was 100% loyal to us, and was our best player year after year after year, and then we got too big for our boots, and over night, too good for him, we wanted big bucks, big players, megastars, and Dunne wasn't part of that.
He could have made the transition had he been given a chance, but he wasn't a big enough star for City.
In this case we were disloyal to him, and it was in my opinion our biggest regret.

He was never short on courage, and while the Irish players aren't full of stand out talent, they never gave up, and their passion, courage and determination saw them through, they fight for each other, even mediocre players who were having poor games when going forward were all there throwing themselves in front of every ball, every tackle.

If only England have a tiny percent of that amount of heart.
But no, they spend their time bitching, moaning and trying to blame everyone else.

26 shots on goal, have you ever seen a team so completely dominated yet still go away with a result. Largely in thanks to Dunne and Given, who I heard described last night as the two Villa players keeping Ireland in the game, and that made me a little bit sad to hear that, they were two incredible leaders for us, who did nothing wrong, but we insisted that we outgrew them, that there were better, shinier, more expensive players to replace them with.

They are the old generation, and they will be incredibly missed when they leave the game, because at the end of the day, there are days when I would take 11 Richard Dunne's over the attitude of our bratty new generation players at times.

No matter what we win or how far we go with these crop of players, we wouldn't be where we are today had it not been for the service Dunne gave us.
And in my opinion, the treatment he received from the club was disgraceful and will remain our biggest regret.
One day he was City, a player who would get you our of the shittiest situation, and the next he wasn't a superstar, and that wasn't enough.

Did you pile that shit down your throat before you spewed it out?

Dunne has had some clangers for Villa after we sold him. I thank him for his contributions but we owe nought but a paycheck to any player.

I think we missed out selling him.

I reckon Mancini could have improved him a lot. He could have got him into better shape and improved his distribution a bit.

2 years under Mancini and Dunne would be one of the best in the Premiership.

I am hearing what you are all saying with regard Dunne, but in the end i think his major injury will hamper him this season at Villa,

Whats his major injury i hear you ask?

Its his back you see, it's had it,

What, his back, you say?

Yes its broke from when he used to carry us, all season long

Dunne 22 City legend

hotdel1 said:
I am hearing what you are all saying with regard Dunne, but in the end i think his major injury will hamper him this season at Villa,

Whats his major injury i hear you ask?

Its his back you see, it's had it,

What, his back, you say?

Yes its broke from when he used to carry us, all season long

Dunne 22 City legend

Well said. Dunne 22 always a City legend and always my first City hero.

Thanks Dunnie Monster.

People who say we sold Dunne at the right time are completely wrong. We sold him at completely the wrong time. I would go as far as to say that had we not sold him Hughes would have hung on for another season and possibly qualified for Champions Leage. Who knows what would have happened then?

During the first three games of the 2009/2010 season, we had dunne and k toure playing together and did not concede a goal. Then we sold dunne and replaced him with Lescott. Defensively we were a shambles until Hughes was sacked. Dunne went on to be Villa's player of the year and was in the PFA team of the year. He has a poor season in 2008/2009 but then had a great one in 2009/2010.

jaigurugoat said:
People who say we sold Dunne at the right time are completely wrong. We sold him at completely the wrong time. I would go as far as to say that had we not sold him Hughes would have hung on for another season and possibly qualified for Champions Leage. Who knows what would have happened then?

During the first three games of the 2009/2010 season, we had dunne and k toure playing together and did not concede a goal. Then we sold dunne and replaced him with Lescott. Defensively we were a shambles until Hughes was sacked. Dunne went on to be Villa's player of the year and was in the PFA team of the year. He has a poor season in 2008/2009 but then had a great one in 2009/2010.

We might not have conceded a goal but I distinctly remember a couple of clumsy moments (1 in particular against blackburn in the first game) where dunney got lucky (as he often did, even though people try to claim he was unlucky) and the opposition of blackburn, wolves and pompey weren't particularly testing anyway. If people want to argue that he was sold at the wrong time then I'd argue he went a year too late as the 08/09 season from dunne was so bad it was embarrassing.

And the claim that hughes might have stayed on another season and we'd have reached the champs league if dunne had stayed sums up the phenomenal level of delusion in this thread. Lescott and Kolo were crap but if Richard Dunne is the supposed answer to obtaining champions league football then you have to wonder why he's never played in the competition and never will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.