Richard Dunne

I said "a tiny minority".

Nothing wrong with the attitude of the majority of Macunians (hey, who voted Dunney & Steve Ireland poty for 5 straight years?). Far from it, in fact. (Pains me to admit it but I sometimes wish we Irish were - generally speaking, of course - as tolerant as the English can be).

It's just that tiny minority who operate under the assumption that anybody near the England team, like Lescott (who's only ok) in this instance, simply has to be better than any player playing at the top of his game with what they so ironically refer to as "the muppet nations" that get to me.
Christ, by their logic, Carlton Palmer, B Greenhoff & Neil Webb were, by birthright, better footballers than Best, Giles & Souness. Not direct comparisons, I know but well, their argument is just so obviously bollocks...

I know I should rise above their bullshit but sometimes I forget.ers than Best, Giles & Souness. Not direct comparisons, I know but well, their argument is just so obviously bollocks...

I know I should rise above their bullshit but sometimes I forget.

mad4city said:
Dunne gave away so many og's & got red cards because he was too often the only defender awake, in the bad old days.

Hahaha it's been a while since I heard this sort of deluded bullshit. 'Too often the only defender awake', err, yea, right.... The truth is that Dunney got so many og's and red cards because he's clumsy, he gambles almost every time and he has horrific lapses in concentration. I'm no fan of Lescott but he's a far better option than Dunney

No matter how well we do under this current set up at City, there will always remain a few regrets from how we handled the transition, and getting rid of Dunne was our biggest mistake and our biggest regret.

He was, and always will be a legend, and he didn't nothing but his best for us and that 95% of the time was magnificent and the difference, he was our driving force, our only sense of light in the dark. He dragged us out of situations that we had no business getting out of.
Ya that 5% of the time resulted in him making a stupid foul, or being unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it was only because our pathetic defense at the time were in a permanent state of sleep. You do what you gotta do, and he did his best.

He was magnificent for Ireland, always has been, as was Shay Given.
But Dunne, he lead by complete example last night, and two moments summed him up, when he broke out of the defense with the ball, ran up the pitch, lost possession, and instead of sulking, giving up and feeling sorry for himself, he put his head down, ran back and won the ball back.
And the other moment was when he was booked, which was undeserving in my opinion, because he won the ball, he did what had to be done, despite the risk, and he paid the price bouncing his face off the ground and having to get the few stitches. Got up, no big drama, and off he went again, a few seconds later making an important tackle.

McGrath's tweet was one of the biggest accolades he could have received and it wasn't one big exaggerated.

Dunne was 100% loyal to us, and was our best player year after year after year, and then we got too big for our boots, and over night, too good for him, we wanted big bucks, big players, megastars, and Dunne wasn't part of that.
He could have made the transition had he been given a chance, but he wasn't a big enough star for City.
In this case we were disloyal to him, and it was in my opinion our biggest regret.

He was never short on courage, and while the Irish players aren't full of stand out talent, they never gave up, and their passion, courage and determination saw them through, they fight for each other, even mediocre players who were having poor games when going forward were all there throwing themselves in front of every ball, every tackle.

If only England have a tiny percent of that amount of heart.
But no, they spend their time bitching, moaning and trying to blame everyone else.

26 shots on goal, have you ever seen a team so completely dominated yet still go away with a result. Largely in thanks to Dunne and Given, who I heard described last night as the two Villa players keeping Ireland in the game, and that made me a little bit sad to hear that, they were two incredible leaders for us, who did nothing wrong, but we insisted that we outgrew them, that there were better, shinier, more expensive players to replace them with.

They are the old generation, and they will be incredibly missed when they leave the game, because at the end of the day, there are days when I would take 11 Richard Dunne's over the attitude of our bratty new generation players at times.

No matter what we win or how far we go with these crop of players, we wouldn't be where we are today had it not been for the service Dunne gave us.
And in my opinion, the treatment he received from the club was disgraceful and will remain our biggest regret.
One day he was City, a player who would get you our of the shittiest situation, and the next he wasn't a superstar, and that wasn't enough.

ellspark said:
No matter how well we do under this current set up at City, there will always remain a few regrets from how we handled the transition, and getting rid of Dunne was our biggest mistake and our biggest regret.

He was, and always will be a legend, and he didn't nothing but his best for us and that 95% of the time was magnificent and the difference, he was our driving force, our only sense of light in the dark. He dragged us out of situations that we had no business getting out of.
Ya that 5% of the time resulted in him making a stupid foul, or being unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it was only because our pathetic defense at the time were in a permanent state of sleep. You do what you gotta do, and he did his best.

But Dunne, he lead by complete example last night, and two moments summed him up, when he broke out of the defense with the ball, ran up the pitch, lost possession, and instead of sulking, giving up and feeling sorry for himself, he put his head down, ran back and won the ball back.
And the other moment was when he was booked, which was undeserving in my opinion, because he won the ball, he did what had to be done, despite the risk, and he paid the price bouncing his face off the ground and having to get the few stitches. Got up, no big drama, and off he went again, a few seconds later making an important tackle.

McGrath's tweet was one of the biggest accolades he could have received and it wasn't one big exaggerated.

Dunne was 100% loyal to us, and was our best player year after year after year, and then we got too big for our boots, and over night, too good for him, we wanted big bucks, big players, megastars, and Dunne wasn't part of that.
He could have made the transition had he been given a chance, but he wasn't a big enough star for City.
In this case we were disloyal to him, and it was in my opinion our biggest regret.

He was never short on courage, and while the Irish players aren't full of stand out talent, they never gave up, and their passion, courage and determination saw them through, they fight for each other, even mediocre players who were having poor games when going forward were all there throwing themselves in front of every ball, every tackle.

But no, they spend their time bitching, moaning and trying to blame everyone else.

26 shots on goal, have you ever seen a team so completely dominated yet still go away with a result. Largely in thanks to Dunne and Given, who I heard described last night as the two Villa players keeping Ireland in the game, and that made me a little bit sad to hear that, they were two incredible leaders for us, who did nothing wrong, but we insisted that we outgrew them, that there were better, shinier, more expensive players to replace them with.

They are the old generation, and they will be incredibly missed when they leave the game, because at the end of the day, there are days when I would take 11 Richard Dunne's over the attitude of our bratty new generation players at times.

No matter what we win or how far we go with these crop of players, we wouldn't be where we are today had it not been for the service Dunne gave us.
And in my opinion, the treatment he received from the club was disgraceful and will remain our biggest regret.
One day he was City, a player who would get you our of the shittiest situation, and the next he wasn't a superstar, and that wasn't enough.

Some of that is just complete and utter bollocks ellspark. Trying to pedal this tragic notion that poor dunney wasn't given a chance because he was no longer in fashion is complete bollocks. Dunney was given a huge chance - a full season in which he ballsed up repeatedly and cost us games. We did not get 'too big for our boots' and it was not that 'he wasn't a big enough star for City', it was simply because he was nowhere near good enough and had become a huge liability to the team. Yes he was a great leader for us when we were a relegation/mid table team. I'm not doubting his courage or commitment (at leats on the pitch) and that was great at the time, but as soon as we started to show any ambition of being a top team Dunney became a hinderance

And what's this about dunney and given 'did nothing wrong, but we insisted that we outgrew them, that there were better, shinier, more expensive players to replace them with'? You don't have to do anything wrong to be replaced at a football club, merely not being a good enough player is often enough to be shipped out, which is exactly what dunney was guilty of. Given was replaced by Joe Hart - a younger player signed for much less money than Given before given had even signed, so that point doesn't stand.

ellspark said:

for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

wrongun73 said:
for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

I'm pretty confident that Mancini would have taken much more than age into account when making that decision. Given is nowhere near a top keeper in the prem - great shot stopper but far too limited.

The Fat el Hombre said:
wrongun73 said:

I'm pretty confident that Mancini would have taken much more than age into account when making that decision. Given is nowhere near a top keeper in the prem - great shot stopper but far too limited.

its only opinions but for me the only better keeper since the premiership started has been schmeichel. its a shame he spent so long at clubs with not much chance of silverwear.

wrongun73 said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
wrongun73 said:

its only opinions but for me the only better keeper since the premiership started has been schmeichel. its a shame he spent so long at clubs with not much chance of silverwear.

There are reasons for that!

wrongun73 said:

Mancini picked Hart because he's younger and so he'd get a spot in the England team, even though he thought Given was the better keeper and would want to leave?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.