Richard Dunne

whitt said:
wrongun73 said:
for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

Mancini picked Hart because he's younger and so he'd get a spot in the England team, even though he thought Given was the better keeper and would want to leave?

thats basically what ive been told yeah. maybe totally wrong, just relaying what i was told by a close friend of given's.

Regarding Dunne. I think the club got rid of him a season early. Lescott in that first season was all over the place as was Kolo. I do wonder if Mancini was boss at the start of that season if he would of given Dunney a season to prove himself to him. That first season at Villa Dunney was class.

As for Shay I think it is more about nationality. If Shay was English he would be there number 1 keeper since Seaman retired no one has taken the role until Hart. Mancini made a refference to English players a lot at the begining of last season that they were key a number didnt preform and some were late bloomers in Richards and Lescott and to some extent Hart. In the end Mancini made the right decision but the question mark will always arise about Given he was never given the chance to win back his jersey even when Hart messed up.

leighton said:
Regarding Dunne. I think the club got rid of him a season early. Lescott in that first season was all over the place as was Kolo. I do wonder if Mancini was boss at the start of that season if he would of given Dunney a season to prove himself to him. That first season at Villa Dunney was class.

As for Shay I think it is more about nationality. If Shay was English he would be there number 1 keeper since Seaman retired no one has taken the role until Hart. Mancini made a refference to English players a lot at the begining of last season that they were key a number didnt preform and some were late bloomers in Richards and Lescott and to some extent Hart. In the end Mancini made the right decision but the question mark will always arise about Given he was never given the chance to win back his jersey even when Hart messed up.

Since Hart got the nukmber one spoti can't recall him making a series of blunders or getting injured. If he had then Given could have stepped in, kept clean sheets and injury free and it would be Hart whining that he 'needed 1st team football.'

Dunne wasnt and isnt a great player.

He was and is a brave old style centre half. I personally feel so many of us loved him as a player as you could tell he was really working his nuts off and wanted to do well with the club.

He was treated harshly in the end, but it was also time for him to go. He wouldn't get in the team now and would be stuck on the bench.

I will applaud him every time her comes back to play against us, but i wont wish he was still with us

wrongun73 said:
whitt said:
wrongun73 said:
for me our biggest mistake was selling shay given, the guy is, for me, the best keeper in he premiership, hart included.
i had a few pints last night with a very good friend of shay's and his family who is over here on holiday from donegal. he told me on very good authority, (from shay himself) that he was sold because cappello told mancini that hart would not play for england while shay was 1st choice so, taking age into account mancini decided to give hart the nod, knowing that the better keeper of the two would go.

Mancini picked Hart because he's younger and so he'd get a spot in the England team, even though he thought Given was the better keeper and would want to leave?

thats basically what ive been told yeah. maybe totally wrong, just relaying what i was told by a close friend of given's.

The way I remember it is Given was coming back from injury, Hart got his chance after coming back off loan and had a few cracking games and didn't give Mancini an opportunity to replace him.

The right decision was made in my opinion. No keeper was happy to sit on the bench, better to keep Hart with 10+ years happy than Given with 3+ years.

Absolutely nothing to do with nationality.

wrongun73 said:
mad4city said:
I heard Paul McGrath tweeted that Dunne's was the best performance ever by any Irish centre half, "myself included".

He was dead right.

Now, I know the nay-sayers & the little-Englanders will be blocking their ears & singing la-la-la but suggesting that losing what, £10m between shipping him out and the vastly over-rated Lescott in (because 1 doesn't ring tills in China but the other apparently does) was good business is utter stupidity.

Dunne gave away so many og's & got red cards because he was too often the only defender awake, in the bad old days.

It's a terrible pity but, it needs saying, a tiny minority on here will never give him the credit he deserves because of his race.

sorry cant have that mate, considering about 75% of mancunians are of irish decent why would him being irish be an issue? i just dont get it.

Hughes got rid of Dunne and bought Lescott.
R.M is the man now.
Fuck all to do with Dunne Being Irish.
I'm not havin' it
It's because Hughes was Welsh. :)
You reckon Lescott rings tills in China.
Do me a favour.

Delighted for Dunne and Given, both stalwarts at City.Good luck to them both (except when they play us).

I heard from some lads involved in Irish league football, that Dunne is back on the sauce. All that shite with him and collins at the villa "team bonding" being one of the ripples from it. Maybe he is good again this season - but he was a big sauce hound back before Keegan sorted him out.

stonerblue said:
leighton said:

Since Hart got the nukmber one spoti can't recall him making a series of blunders or getting injured. If he had then Given could have stepped in, kept clean sheets and injury free and it would be Hart whining that he 'needed 1st team football.'

There was a couple in a space of the month around the FA Cup early rounds. Hart wasnt faultless all last season he did keep a lot of clean sheets but the mad thing was it could of been a lot more clean sheets than he got. I thought he was very lucky to hold onto the jersey last season. Saying that he did grow into the position at the end of the season and has started this season well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.