Richard Dunne

Dribble said:
Whilst I'll always be grateful to Dunne for the sterling service he gave us, the fact that he was our player of the season for 3-4 years running always highlighted to me how far down the football hierachy we were.

He was a true warrior, but a cumbersome one who was always likely to concede a penalty at any time. I'll always have fond memories of those tree trunk legs pounding away behind some nimble, fleet footed attacker who was looking shit scared because he knew if Dunney caught him what was coming next.

Dunney was a great part of our past, but that is where he must remain. He has no place at the new professional Manchester City. Time has moved on and so have we as a club.

Wot he said ^^^

Mr Partridge said:
tidyman said:
Nowt against him. But it kinda makes me chuckle the way he is hero worshipped as some kind of model pro. And used as some sort of barometer that the current players should aspire to when he used to turn up to training pissed more often than he did sober.

In the early years yes, but he then grew up and matured, sorted himself out and went on to become our Player Of The Year four years running and club captain who was with us for 9 years. I didn't realise none of that counted and we were only choosing to remember his first two years at the club.
Spot on. And his own goals were always classics and completed in style. A legend. Whenever we come close to scoring an OG I always say "DUNNY WOULD HAVE HAD THAT ONE -no problem"

M19Blu said:
citytillidie24 said:
People having a pop at Richard Dunne on here only confirms that most of you don't have a clue where we have come from and what we are today.

It was only about 6 years ago that Dunney (and Barton) single-handedly saved us from relegation.

You have to know where you've come from to know where you're at.

I think Distin had a lot to do with it too.

In fact, D and D were a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Phuket Blue said:
Phuket Blue said:
acton28 said:
Too many short sighted fans nowadays forgetting who brightened our rise from lower leagues to stability and mediocrity to the current status.

Dunne, if English would be applauded by all. But he is Irish and a niche supported player. Superb player. If ever there was a player in need of backing, it was him, he could easily have slid off rails and done a Joey barton, but no, he got on with the job. My Dad compares him to Booth & Donachie - and from videos I can see why. Dunne was a polished Gerry Gow. My Grandad when he was a round said he reminded him of Ewing and Doyle.

Is Micah Richards the closet player to Dunne for appearances made by a current player?

You must be a very young fan.
I am an old fart fan..... with a failing memory. But unless this has gone to another level, I think the chronology needs a review young man.
Tommy Booth was indeed a fine Center back, and Willie Donachie was one of our best ever left backs. But big Mike Doyle (GRHS) was a center back at about the same time as Tommy. In fact your man Google will probably tell you he played on after Boothy.
Glad to hear youngsters talk about the legends though.

To be fair I wasn't on about positions, I was on about strengths and their all round game/club contribution. And, the comparisons were by my Grandad and Dad. I am 30. Only seen Gow play in a testimonial.

Dunne was a model pro when he got his head screwed on after the early years.
He was no Corradi, Barton, Balotelli, or the like. I never heard much of him off the field, and watched/heard only good things on it

Bilboblue said:
M19Blu said:
citytillidie24 said:
People having a pop at Richard Dunne on here only confirms that most of you don't have a clue where we have come from and what we are today.

It was only about 6 years ago that Dunney (and Barton) single-handedly saved us from relegation.

You have to know where you've come from to know where you're at.

English not your first language?

It obviously is, had you even heard of Richard Dunne before you read this thread?

I find it very difficult to lose my admiration for Dunny as easy as many on here can, he was one only a few shining lights in our team for so long. I don't think anyone is saying he was a world beater but he was easily our most consistent high performer for a good few years, it doesn't matter to me if that was in the top 4 or division 2 you support what City team is playing and and the players that connect with the fans will always be lorded like Zabba and Dunny, he's loved by City fans because he give as much of a shit as you and I.
You don't have to be world class to be a legend!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.