Rishi Sunak

Think I've watched a couple of episodes of that one, thought it was a bit meh tbh. The short arse in the middle wasn't a very likable character.

I think appointing Cameron is the smartest thing he’s done since taking office.

Cameron will win over a lot of support internally for Sunak, and he’s got real political stature compared to pretty much everyone going after Sunak, and they won’t want to scream and shout about home office stuff like immigration and policing because it’ll be seen as an attack on Cameron and co. Not just Rishi Sunak.

Secondly I think it puts a really solid line down between him and the right wing loons in the party. Which is clever because it looks like they are going to lead the Tories down a disastrous and disgusting populist anti-establishment politics after the GE and he’ll want to be as far away as possible.

Thirdly he’s not a complete weirdo on tv, which is rare in his cabinet.

Cameron will win over a lot of support internally for Sunak, and he’s got real political stature compared to pretty much everyone going after Sunak, and they won’t want to scream and shout about home office stuff like immigration and policing because it’ll be seen as an attack on Cameron and co. Not just Rishi Sunak.

Secondly I think it puts a really solid line down between him and the right wing loons in the party. Which is clever because it looks like they are going to lead the Tories down a disastrous and disgusting populist anti-establishment politics after the GE and he’ll want to be as far away as possible.

Most of the MPs that would have backed him have been purged, his appointment has ignited another Tory civil war, the Tory grassroots are largely made up of former UKIP members they have PM who wasn’t voted in by them, Truss was their pick, there will lots of MPs being deselected before the next election

an alternative view could be that he has had to ask one of the big boys in to come and do a job that is just too much for him - Rishi has a junior hacksaw so he needs someone to come in with a chainsaw to help him

Most of the MPs that would have backed him have been purged, his appointment has ignited another Tory civil war, the Tory grassroots are largely made up of former UKIP members they have PM who wasn’t voted in by them, Truss was their pick, there will lots of MPs being deselected before the next election

It’s not just about MPs though. He was PM for a decade, he knows every important civil servant, everyone important in the internal Conservative Party Boards etc. he has longstanding relationships with every newspaper owner and editor and tv exec.

A former PM has a lot of soft power in British politics, and that’s all going to be helping Cameron and that’s good for Sunak.

Also, this didn’t ignite a Tory civil war, we’ve been in one of those for a year. What was Braverman’s rebellion last week if not part of that civil war?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.