Rishi Sunak

He was perfectly at liberty to use a form of words that accurately captured the position, which he did not. It’s not especially hard to achieve given the extensive resources at his disposal i.e. The UK Government.
He could have phrased it differently, but I don’t really see it as the crime of the century - there is a kernel of truth around it - and I wouldn’t think it’s worthy of some of the abuse he’s received on here for it.

It’s certainly not as bad as Starmer’s claim that he’s going to get a major re-write of the Brexit deal, for example, which anyone with half a brain knows is complete and utter bollocks and in fact deliberately misleading.

He could have phrased it differently, but I don’t really see it as the crime of the century - there is a kernel of truth around it - and I wouldn’t think it’s worthy of some of the abuse he’s received on here for it.

It’s certainly not as bad as Starmer’s claim that he’s going to get a major re-write of the Brexit deal, for example, which anyone with half a brain knows is complete and utter bollocks and in fact deliberately misleading.
They will both say anything to get elected but this isn’t the Starmer thread.

All the same, init.

I would suggest that cost of living is a relative term, with inflation being set against your income growth. If not, the cost of living is practically always increasing, and the term loses meaning as a result.

Given that wages, benefits and pensions are now increasing in annual terms at a rate above inflation, then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to claim that the cost of living is declining or improving, even though it’s technically incorrect to say that. Apart from in January of course, when the CPI nearly always declines.
Idiot (aka Tory shill).

If wages, benefits and pensions are "now increasing" above inflation it's because they were fixed based on what inflation was, not on "now".

"Technically incorrect but reasonable"? I didn't notice that disclaimer on Sunak's gaslighting video...

My pension increase, which I shall receive from April 2024, was based on last year's inflation not what inflation is now. When implemented, it nominally restores me to where I was the year before. Nominally. The idea I am somehow 'better off' now because inflation is falling is laughable. I have not been compensated for current inflation now and will not be until April 2025. That is because the increases are decided each September based on the previous year's inflation. That is to say, the period from October 2023 to September 2024, which includes the inflation we are experiencing now.

I am sick of these gaslighting cunts who think we are all thick.

My pension increase, which I shall receive from April 2024, was based on last year's inflation not what inflation is now. When implemented, it nominally restores me to where I was the year before. Nominally. The idea I am somehow 'better off' now because inflation is falling is laughable. I have not been compensated for current inflation now and will not be until April 2025. That is because the increases are decided each September based on the previous year's inflation. That is to say, the period from October 2023 to September 2024, which includes the inflation we are experiencing now.

I am sick of these gaslighting cunts who think we are all thick.
You’ve conveniently, or erroneously, forgotten about the triple lock.

Average earnings are currently growing at a faster rate than inflation, and that situation appears likely to persist over the coming year.

So your pension will increase at a faster pace than your cost of living, and any further decline in inflation relative to wage growth will make you better off. So falling inflation will in fact make you better off in the current situation.

Also, the point isn’t solely about pensioners - across the economy, earnings are currently growing at a faster rate than inflation. When the opposite was the case, and inflation was higher, you were all jumping up and down complaining about the real terms decline in income. When real terms growth is restored, you fail to recognise the change.

Frankly, some of you lefties need to look at the bigger picture and not think only about yourself and your own personal situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.