Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played okay but still settling in and not yet working hard enough when not in possession. The moment he let his man run off him in the second half and didn’t bother chasing back, he was coming off.
I like him he will be a great buy but needs to adapt and work harder and I'm sure he will
At the moment Sterling and Sane for me

I like him he will be a great buy but needs to adapt and work harder and I'm sure he will
At the moment Sterling and Sane for me

Aside from the work rate when not in possession, there are two other areas of his attacking game that need to be addressed and which have been on display in both the Chelsea and Arsenal games. Firstly, he needs to be more attentive when playing high up and looking along the line. He needs to appreciate that the reason he is there on his own is because everyone else has done his job and dragged the opposition all over the place. For him then to wander offside and waste their efforts is frustrating. Nolito and even more so Sane have been guilty of that in recent seasons. Secondly, he needs to show greater composure when he beats the last man and gets to the line on his right foot, which is evidently weaker. Simply standing the ball up into the grateful keeper’s arms poses no threat and easily surrenders possession, so he either needs to drive it across, get his body shape around it to play it with his left, or play for the corner. Early days of course and lots of promise.

Aside from the work rate when not in possession, there are two other areas of his attacking game that need to be addressed and which have been on display in both the Chelsea and Arsenal games. Firstly, he needs to be more attentive when playing high up and looking along the line. He needs to appreciate that the reason he is there on his own is because everyone else has done his job and dragged the opposition all over the place. For him then to wander offside and waste their efforts is frustrating. Nolito and even more so Sane have been guilty of that in recent seasons. Secondly, he needs to show greater composure when he beats the last man and gets to the line on his right foot, which is evidently weaker. Simply standing the ball up into the grateful keeper’s arms poses no threat and easily surrenders possession, so he either needs to drive it across, get his body shape around it to play it with his left, or play for the corner. Early days of course and lots of promise.
The unnecessary offsides is clearly driving Pep crazy as evinced by his reaction on the sideline. Pep is a great teacher and I fully expect that Pep will cut this laziness/inattention out of Mahrez's game.

I know it’s early doors but what do you think if mahrez so far . I don’t know what to make of him . It’s clear he is very skilful and a quality passer but I think we are a lot stronger when he is not in the 1st eleven .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.