Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
good guess from me cheers mate,what do you reckon on him good signing or ok ..
Delighted. Was worried about overplaying our wide players and Dinho all last season and waiting for them to burn out/get injured. Two great players that are well suited to the team like being our first two bits of business this summer so no complaints from me.

True , but I didnt really think of Yaya as a first team player last season.

Yaya was a first team matchday squad regular, and that's what Mahrez will be, including a regular number of starting games. The level we are are, players and supporters need to be in the mind set of a first XVIII and not a first XI

Delighted. Was worried about overplaying our wide players and Dinho all last season and waiting for them to burn out/get injured. Two great players that are well suited to the team like being our first two bits of business this summer so no complaints from me.
To be fair I’m slightly worried about mahrez,can’t knock him he’s a top player but just have that niggle when things aren’t going to well he can go missing also showed a lack of tracking back at Leicester in games,maybe I’m being to negative,wonder if after Jorginho will there be any other signings,if a situation presents itself..

Depends how you're classifying a squad player. I'd argue that the vast majority of our players are squad players as the only definitive first team players are those who have no proper replacement among the rest of the squad. Prior to the start of last season, these would have been Ederson, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Sane. The rest all have very adequate back up players and the first team choice is sometimes arguable.

I think that during last season Delph proved himself as a competent reserve LB thankfully and this summer has been about improving the rotation option for some of those other players. Notably Jorginho for Fernandinho and Mahrez for Sane (which may be by proxy of Sterling or Jesus playing from the left more frequently with Mendy able to offer more attacking width).

I think people maybe misunderstood you as 'not a squad player' could mean 'definitive first team starter'. There's no way Mahrez should be that as Sterling and Sane are already at least as valuable as him and have higher ceilings, regardless of Mahrez's price tag.
Squad players = Delph (as good as he's been he's not our starting LB once Mendy is injury free), Danilo, and so on.
I think that the expectation for Mahrez is much higher - challenging Sterling for a starting spot/rotation on the wing or for a spot/rotation in our attacking mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.