Roberto Mancini - next Italy manager

Oh right so it was not due to the most heinous act of treachery by opening discussions on a move to Monaco as stated on here at the time to the hard of thinking.

I suppose that reason has died a death since we discovered City were in contact with Pep at that time.
No it wasn't as that would have suited everyone nicely. He was talking to Monaco because he knew Begiristain was coming in and he had made it clear he wasn't going to work under the control of a DoF. But the club panicked when we won the league and persuaded him to stay, thinking it would look bad from a PR point of view if he went after our first PL title. I'm sure, with the benefit of hindsight, they now know they should have parted company with him at that point as they knew there was going to be friction. Had they done that, Pep would have come in to a winning team and really built something. So it set our development back 4 years in effect and any bad PR they might have got at the time, would have been no worse than the shit they got 12 months later.

However there has been one very beneficial outcome the way things turned out. The PL's own FFP rules now stipulate that you can choose one of two methods to determine your maximum wage bill increase each year and one of those involves using 2012/3 as a baseline. That was the financial year in which his pay-off went through so our wage bill was significantly higher (over £230m) than it would have been normally (around £200m). That means we can increase our wage bill to around £250m if we wanted to this season without penalty.

I can't believe that this man is still debated.

If City made a msitake sacking him, it was taking a year too long.

Since then he's had 2 jobs, with little success in either, and that doesn't include the awful season in which he did finally get sacked from us, a season that apparantly was everyone elses fault but his.

Its time some people stopped crying over the man.

I can't believe that this man is still debated.

If City made a msitake sacking him, it was taking a year too long.

Since then he's had 2 jobs, with little success in either, and that doesn't include the awful season in which he did finally get sacked from us, a season that apparantly was everyone elses fault but his.

Its time some people stopped crying over the man.
He's debated because he holds a place close to the heart of many supporters - regardless of what may or may not have transpired behind the scenes.
It'll fade over time no doubt but I imagine there's still a little bit of mileage in the Mancini story for some blues.

No it wasn't as that would have suited everyone nicely. He was talking to Monaco because he knew Begiristain was coming in and he had made it clear he wasn't going to work under the control of a DoF. But the club panicked when we won the league and persuaded him to stay, thinking it would look bad from a PR point of view if he went after our first PL title. I'm sure, with the benefit of hindsight, they now know they should have parted company with him at that point as they knew there was going to be friction. Had they done that, Pep would have come in to a winning team and really built something. So it set our development back 4 years in effect and any bad PR they might have got at the time, would have been no worse than the shit they got 12 months later.

However there has been one very beneficial outcome the way things turned out. The PL's own FFP rules now stipulate that you can choose one of two methods to determine your maximum wage bill increase each year and one of those involves using 2012/3 as a baseline. That was the financial year in which his pay-off went through so our wage bill was significantly higher (over £230m) than it would have been normally (around £200m). That means we can increase our wage bill to around £250m if we wanted to this season without penalty.

Thanks for the info, very informative. I was not aware of the relevance in relation to wages. I will have to look at Pep confidential again as it inferred that he turned us down in 2012 (that is how I remember it) rather than the club choosing to stick with Bobby based on possible poor publicity.

Either way the most important thing is the future and the fact that Peps arrival should end any longstanding divisions at the club. I doubt there has ever been a management apointment in the history of the club more universally welcomed.

He's debated because he holds a place close to the heart of many supporters - regardless of what may or may not have transpired behind the scenes.
It'll fade over time no doubt but I imagine there's still a little bit of mileage in the Mancini story for some blues.
That's fine, he has a place close to mine too, but its over 3 years since he left. He won us our first trophies after a very long drought, but it doesn't make him a saint, he still had a shocking last season, given the resources available, when we lost the league to a pretty average united, a cup final to a relegated side, not to mention his poor european record, where he managed 3 points from 6 games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.